Upper control arm replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Upper control arm replacement

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Upper control arm replacement

Hey guys, I'm looking for some pictures of the replacement process of your front upper control arms. I was going to tackle mine soon and some pictures of what I'm getting myself into would be a big help and give me some added confidence. Thanks to all who give me a hand!

redjp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
BFabsTJ

To what extent are uppers needed? How much lift would require them?
BFabsTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
tjcj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you dont have them whats holding in your front axle.
Unread 01-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #4
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Should be fairly easy. Two bolts on each control arm. One at the axle and one at the frame.

I would suggest putting the axle up on some jack stands and try and keep it from rotating as much as possible. If you don't currently have any vibes or death wobble and are installing adjustable arms set the new ones to the same length as the old ones. If the axle has rotated at all you may need to put a jack under the pumpkin and jack it back up to get the holes to line up again. If I remember correctly the bolts get torqued to 55 lbs for the uppers.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hear you. Seems to me the main thing to keep an eye is the axle getting out of place and the holes lining up. Sounds pretty straight forward other than that. I really appreciate the feedback.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcj
If you dont have them whats holding in your front axle.
....uhmn I have upper control arms currently, they are just rusty and weak. I intend on replacing them hence this thread. Perhaps I'm just misunderstanding your post.
Unread 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFabsTJ
To what extent are uppers needed? How much lift would require them?
I'd say the uppers are at a moderate level of necessity for replacement. I don't have any death wobble and the old arms haven't disconnected or anything of that nature but they are fairly rusted to the point where they seem weak and can be twisted by hand. Not twisted very much mind you, but rotated enough to know they're not supposed to do that lol
Unread 07-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replaced these the other day. Other than a little knuckle bustin it went pretty easy. Didn't take me more than a couple hours and only a moderate level of swearing. Steering feels tighter/stronger now when hitting pot holes. Thanks for the help guys!!
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #9
dirtyoffroad
1978 CJ7 

Here are a few shots of Rock Krawler system I'm working on,the factory mounts are removed from frame and replaced with these which are bolted to crossmember and welded.These arms are about a foot longer than OEM.
img_0566.jpg   img_0565.jpg  
dirtyoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
redjp04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyoffroad
Here are a few shots of Rock Krawler system I'm working on,the factory mounts are removed from frame and replaced with these which are bolted to crossmember and welded.These arms are about a foot longer than OEM.
Damn, that looks serious. I only have a 3 inch SL on my jeep so I was able to use the stock uppers with after market lower control arms. The stock uppers are what I just replaced over the weekend, they were super rusty and weak. Deff glad I did though, today on the way to work was the first time I took it on the highway since the swap and what a difference. Now I don't need a death grip on the steering wheel when I hit a pot hold lmao

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.