TJ's with hood louvers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > TJ's with hood louvers

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Reply
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #16
GregStephens2
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I like that pattern.

Engine temps won't go down. The Tstat keeps the engine running at the proper temp. Lower engine bay temps take stress off the cooling system though.
Yup helps the coolant system running better, help prolong the life of most other under hood goodies.

As for water issues, I can't speak for the custom vents but the PSC kit protects the electrical components because of louver placement.
I have also not ran into issue's while it's been parked out in the rain.
Though it spends the most time in the garage.
I dunked it pretty good this past weekend playing in a stream.
The louvers let the steam out really well my guess would be you would see the steam if water was leaking in through the louvers.

__________________
Greg Stephens/Arboreal Specialties
http://www.arborealspecialties.com/Home.html
GregStephens2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #17
redjp04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: naugatuck, CT
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2

Yup helps the coolant system running better, help prolong the life of most other under hood goodies.

As for water issues, I can't speak for the custom vents but the PSC kit protects the electrical components because of louver placement.
I have also not ran into issue's while it's been parked out in the rain.
Though it spends the most time in the garage.
I dunked it pretty good this past weekend playing in a stream.
The louvers let the steam out really well my guess would be you would see the steam if water was leaking in through the louvers.
Ok, I just wasn't sure if more frequent exposure to the elements would put more wear on things like plugs and wires you know?
redjp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
dwbrown
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: McGuire AFB, New Jersey
Posts: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjp04
I was thinking about a set of louvers for my TJ, do you guys worry about any possible complications coming from water getting into the engine bay thru these vents? I guess more specifically rain water is what I'm talking about
Not enough water would enter to need to worry about.
__________________
USAF
dwbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM   #19
redjp04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: naugatuck, CT
Posts: 127
Nice that's all I need to hear but anyways back to pictures!! I've seen a couple jeeps with these round pattern hood vents on the sides, does anyone have these or know where to get them?
redjp04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,465
Genright 5pc kit


__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...
 
EugeneTheTJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,581
I really want louvres but I wish they all didn't look like an afterthought. I'm probably going to have to have a custom hood made to make me happy.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #22
MO2500
Fabramicator
 
MO2500's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MoCo, MD
Posts: 6,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
I really want louvres but I wish they all didn't look like an afterthought. I'm probably going to have to have a custom hood made to make me happy.
Most hot rod shops will punch louvers in the hood for you (local shop here does them for $2.50 per louver). Only reason I didn't is because you have to strip the paint off and repaint.
__________________
My Jeep Build
Useful tech links:
Stu-Offroad - great technical write-ups!
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #23
EugeneTheTJ
YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS...
 
EugeneTheTJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post

Most hot rod shops will punch louvers in the hood for you (local shop here does them for $2.50 per louver). Only reason I didn't is because you have to strip the paint off and repaint.
Good to know!! Thanks man
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #24
04GC
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: oklahoma city, oklahoma
Posts: 259
Ps
2012-09-21_18-37-10_743.jpg   2012-09-21_18-40-11_333.jpg   imag1821.jpg  
04GC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #25
jasonswelding
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Blanchard, OK
Posts: 374
^^Before I even looked at where you are from, I thought that looked like Disney.
jasonswelding is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #26
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas
Posts: 417
Mine were sold as Synergy but they look like Gen Rights... Cost was only 100.00 for the 5 piece already powdercoated.
louver3.jpg   louver2.jpg  
Punisher8738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #27
Shotgunonly26
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114 View Post
Here's mine. The crude TJ temp gauge does appear to run a few degrees less than before. I can verify that when running there is a lot of hot air blowing through the hood louver vents so it is definitely evacuating heat from the engine bay.





Cheers
Not to high jack the thread, but love your jeep, I have a red LJ too. I was wondering how you mounted your hijack on your roll cage in the back cause I wanted to and want it exactly like yours.
Shotgunonly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #28
Mako1114
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunonly26 View Post
Not to high jack the thread, but love your jeep, I have a red LJ too. I was wondering how you mounted your hijack on your roll cage in the back cause I wanted to and want it exactly like yours.
Thanks. My hi-lift is bolted to an OR-Fab tire/can carrier, however there are brackets available for roll-bar mounting the hi-lift.



Cheers
Mako1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #29
Shotgunonly26
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina, Ohio
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114

Thanks. My hi-lift is bolted to an OR-Fab tire/can carrier, however there are brackets available for roll-bar mounting the hi-lift.

Cheers
Okay thanks, I've seen the brackets just thought maybe you had ones I hadn't seen. Again love the way it looks.
Shotgunonly26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #30
Platypus
Built In The Rain
 
Platypus's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Posts: 499
I've heard that the PSC hood louver is heavy and can cause the hood to become "dented" so to speak. or rather, and imprint left in the sheet metal. is this true?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by panaceabeachbum View Post
Came to see the build, stayed for the titties
/l ¨¨◘[____]◘ ¨¨
l---L—OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-Θ-)_)
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.