TJ's with hood louvers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 10:26 AM
GregStephens2
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I like that pattern.

Engine temps won't go down. The Tstat keeps the engine running at the proper temp. Lower engine bay temps take stress off the cooling system though.
Yup helps the coolant system running better, help prolong the life of most other under hood goodies.

As for water issues, I can't speak for the custom vents but the PSC kit protects the electrical components because of louver placement.
I have also not ran into issue's while it's been parked out in the rain.
Though it spends the most time in the garage.
I dunked it pretty good this past weekend playing in a stream.
The louvers let the steam out really well my guess would be you would see the steam if water was leaking in through the louvers.


Greg Stephens/Arboreal Specialties
http://www.arborealspecialties.com/Home.html
GregStephens2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
redjp04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: naugatuck
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2

Yup helps the coolant system running better, help prolong the life of most other under hood goodies.

As for water issues, I can't speak for the custom vents but the PSC kit protects the electrical components because of louver placement.
I have also not ran into issue's while it's been parked out in the rain.
Though it spends the most time in the garage.
I dunked it pretty good this past weekend playing in a stream.
The louvers let the steam out really well my guess would be you would see the steam if water was leaking in through the louvers.
Ok, I just wasn't sure if more frequent exposure to the elements would put more wear on things like plugs and wires you know?
redjp04 is offline  
post #18 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 01:12 PM
dwbrown
Registered User
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: McGuire AFB
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjp04
I was thinking about a set of louvers for my TJ, do you guys worry about any possible complications coming from water getting into the engine bay thru these vents? I guess more specifically rain water is what I'm talking about
Not enough water would enter to need to worry about.

USAF
dwbrown is offline  
post #19 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
redjp04
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: naugatuck
Posts: 127
Nice that's all I need to hear but anyways back to pictures!! I've seen a couple jeeps with these round pattern hood vents on the sides, does anyone have these or know where to get them?
redjp04 is offline  
post #20 of 91 Old 01-17-2012, 11:21 PM
MO2500
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,190
Genright 5pc kit



ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
MO2500 is offline  
post #21 of 91 Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel
 
EugeneTheTJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,286
I really want louvres but I wish they all didn't look like an afterthought. I'm probably going to have to have a custom hood made to make me happy.
EugeneTheTJ is offline  
post #22 of 91 Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
MO2500
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 7,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneTheTJ View Post
I really want louvres but I wish they all didn't look like an afterthought. I'm probably going to have to have a custom hood made to make me happy.
Most hot rod shops will punch louvers in the hood for you (local shop here does them for $2.50 per louver). Only reason I didn't is because you have to strip the paint off and repaint.

ODonnell Motorsports
Build Thread
Instagram: @omsmike
MO2500 is offline  
post #23 of 91 Old 01-11-2013, 07:42 PM
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel
 
EugeneTheTJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post

Most hot rod shops will punch louvers in the hood for you (local shop here does them for $2.50 per louver). Only reason I didn't is because you have to strip the paint off and repaint.
Good to know!! Thanks man
EugeneTheTJ is offline  
post #24 of 91 Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 PM
04GC
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 280
Ps
Attached Thumbnails
2012-09-21_18-37-10_743.jpg   2012-09-21_18-40-11_333.jpg   IMAG1821.jpg  
04GC is offline  
post #25 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 AM
jasonswelding
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Blanchard
Posts: 405
^^Before I even looked at where you are from, I thought that looked like Disney.
jasonswelding is offline  
post #26 of 91 Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Punisher8738
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Grand Prairie
Posts: 452
Mine were sold as Synergy but they look like Gen Rights... Cost was only 100.00 for the 5 piece already powdercoated.
Attached Thumbnails
louver3.jpg   louver2.jpg  
Punisher8738 is offline  
post #27 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Shotgunonly26
Member
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114 View Post
Here's mine. The crude TJ temp gauge does appear to run a few degrees less than before. I can verify that when running there is a lot of hot air blowing through the hood louver vents so it is definitely evacuating heat from the engine bay.





Cheers
Not to high jack the thread, but love your jeep, I have a red LJ too. I was wondering how you mounted your hijack on your roll cage in the back cause I wanted to and want it exactly like yours.
Shotgunonly26 is offline  
post #28 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Mako1114
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mount Pleasant
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgunonly26 View Post
Not to high jack the thread, but love your jeep, I have a red LJ too. I was wondering how you mounted your hijack on your roll cage in the back cause I wanted to and want it exactly like yours.
Thanks. My hi-lift is bolted to an OR-Fab tire/can carrier, however there are brackets available for roll-bar mounting the hi-lift.



Cheers
Mako1114 is offline  
post #29 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 02:57 PM
Shotgunonly26
Member
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Medina
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako1114

Thanks. My hi-lift is bolted to an OR-Fab tire/can carrier, however there are brackets available for roll-bar mounting the hi-lift.

Cheers
Okay thanks, I've seen the brackets just thought maybe you had ones I hadn't seen. Again love the way it looks.
Shotgunonly26 is offline  
post #30 of 91 Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Platypus
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Snohomish
Posts: 700
I've heard that the PSC hood louver is heavy and can cause the hood to become "dented" so to speak. or rather, and imprint left in the sheet metal. is this true?

2001 Wrangler 4.0L Sport
1989 Wrangler 2.5L
Platypus is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
LI_DSM
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome