TJ OR-Fab or Bestop Tire carrier (on body tub) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > TJ OR-Fab or Bestop Tire carrier (on body tub)

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #16
richs347
2005 LJ Wrangler 

FYI,

A few tips on the Bestop, drill and tap a hole on the main circle outer sleve that holds the tire on. Then take about a 3/8" bolt and tighten it down on the inner sleeve once the tire is set in position. This will keep the tire offset the same whenever you take the spare on and off. It also will dramatically help when getting the tire on. It also prevents the tire mount from spinning and reduces the possibility of rattling.

'05 Rubi Unlimited, RE 4.5 Springs / Adj arms, JKS body lift, RE Shocks, Jeep Medic Engine Skid, Rokmen Belly Up and gas tank skid, AtoZ Rockers, Bestop tire carrier and rear bumper, 4" Xenon flares, 35" MTZ's, custom front bumper, etc...

'99 Cherokee Sport, 5spd, 231, 8.25" rear, RE 3.5" lift, 31's
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs347 View Post
FYI,

A few tips on the Bestop, drill and tap a hole on the main circle outer sleve that holds the tire on. Then take about a 3/8" bolt and tighten it down on the inner sleeve once the tire is set in position. This will keep the tire offset the same whenever you take the spare on and off. It also will dramatically help when getting the tire on. It also prevents the tire mount from spinning and reduces the possibility of rattling.
Thanks for the tip, it'll be helpful, if i get it
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #18
JeepGuyBrian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Does anybody have a side shot of the bestop carrier in the closed position? I'm trying to get a feel for how far off the body the spare sits when on the carrier; from what I can tell from the other pictures it looks nice and close. Thanks!
JeepGuyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #19
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

On the bestop carrier, the spare is designed to sit against the tubing of the carrier. The tubing is designed to rest against the rubber snubbers all ready on the tailgate.
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:41 AM   #20
richs347
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It sits very close to the body... With my 35 mounted I have a hard time getting my hand and a key in the back tailgate to lock/unlock it. You really can't get much closer to the body.
'05 Rubi Unlimited, RE 4.5 Springs / Adj arms, JKS body lift, RE Shocks, Jeep Medic Engine Skid, Rokmen Belly Up and gas tank skid, AtoZ Rockers, Bestop tire carrier and rear bumper, 4" Xenon flares, 35" MTZ's, custom front bumper, etc...

'99 Cherokee Sport, 5spd, 231, 8.25" rear, RE 3.5" lift, 31's
richs347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:09 AM   #21
kolky
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs347 View Post
It sits very close to the body... With my 35 mounted I have a hard time getting my hand and a key in the back tailgate to lock/unlock it. You really can't get much closer to the body.
x2 on this. It is a little difficult to get the key in the lock with 35x12.5s on it. Holds up well though.

There is also one accessory I have seen for it. Bestop makes one of their modular storage racks that will fit it.
[COLOR="Yellow"][SIZE="3"]Yellow Jeep Club #1224[/SIZE][/COLOR]
kolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #22
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuyBrian View Post
Does anybody have a side shot of the bestop carrier in the closed position? I'm trying to get a feel for how far off the body the spare sits when on the carrier; from what I can tell from the other pictures it looks nice and close. Thanks!
It does sit nice and close. Give me a minute and I'll go take a pic of mine from the side and post it.
Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #23
Yellowhammer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGuyBrian View Post
Here it is from the side with a 33x10.50 KM2 on it. It's nice and snug and I have no rattles at all. It takes a little time to get everything adjusted correctly, but once it is there, everything works great.

I would say that my tire is about 3 1/2 to 4 inches from my tailgate at the most at its furtherest point.
mirrors-010.jpg  
Yellowhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM   #24
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

All tires will sit the same distance from the body. Its just how this carrier is designed. However withe the larger tires you will notice some interference with the tailgate lock.

Getting a high lift mounted to the passenger side of the bestop is easy. Just use the 4x mounts designed for bumpers and some ubolts.
Unread 04-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
All tires will sit the same distance from the body. Its just how this carrier is designed. However withe the larger tires you will notice some interference with the tailgate lock.

Getting a high lift mounted to the passenger side of the bestop is easy. Just use the 4x mounts designed for bumpers and some ubolts.
do you have any pics of this? If so could you please post
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #26
Coastie
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Enjoying mine so far, 33 inch tire and 2 gas cans on the back.
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:37 AM   #27
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
do you have any pics of this? If so could you please post
Surprisingly enough I cannot find any great pictures of the set up on photobucket

Unread 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #28
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior View Post
Surprisingly enough I cannot find any great pictures of the set up on photobucket

those are good, just wanted an idea of how it was setup, thanks
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
cnicker6
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up an or-fab off craigslist and I like it a lot so far it took my brother and i 4hrs to put on and thats only because I had to keep going to the hardware store to get new bolts for all the ones I snapped or striped getting out but the install is not hard at all
orfab5.jpg   orfab4.jpg   orfab.jpg   orfab2.jpg   orfab3.jpg  

cnicker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #30
telkinsjr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

No problems with mine, been running it for almost three years. Like a previous poster said, the bolt behind the tire can work itself a little lose and rattle.

04 LJ: 4.0, auto, 4.88s, Aussie Locker front, Trac-loc rear, 3" BDS lift, Rock Krawler HD steering, 1" BL, 35" KM2s, MCE Flattie Fenders, Olympic A/T Slider front and rear bumpers, A/T rock rails, XRC8 winch, onboard CO2, Hummer-style intake, Hi-lift, HighRock tire carrier, CB, Bluetooth, Monstaliner
telkinsjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.