Tailgate Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Tailgate Rack

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tailgate Rack

I have a 99 TJ and currently do not carry a spare tire but have been thinking about building a rack that mounts to the tailgate in its place. I want to build something out of either round or square tubing that mounts to the factory holes in the tailgate.

I would use the rack to hold a jerry can, two ammo cans stacked on top of eachother maybe add a some of the cam lock cans to the back of that. The general shape is like the ORFab tire carrier, but I dont want to spend this much, and dont have a spare. In stead of being a swing out, I am thinking I want to solid mount it to the tailgate so it swings with it.

http://www.orfab.com/details.php?App...201&Title=JEEP TJ SWING AWAY SPARE TIRE/CAN CARRIER &Active=Yes

anyone ever make or buy anything like this?

Unread 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Yankee-Juliet
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't you eventually want a spare tire? What is your plan if you were to get a flat?

"Dog-gone it Roy-Jean, how many times do I have to explain it to ya, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I MEAN A ROCK!!" ~ C.W. McCall
Yankee-Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee-Juliet View Post
This sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't you eventually want a spare tire? What is your plan if you were to get a flat?
^that. I think a spare would be a better idea. But if you just dont want one. It seems like you have the right idea. If you dont run a back seat you can mount it in there as well when you go wheeling.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to run a spare tire carrier, but since i dont have a fifth rim or tire, or tire carrier at this time I have to wait untill i can afford another 1000$ project. I am leaning towards an OrFab tire swing. This design loosely based on it. In the meantime tho I am thinking about building something out of materials I have laying around. This is what i have drawn up so far. I am going to look at how much work it would be to build the whole OrFab style swing to do the same job...
tailgate-rack3.jpg  
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think its a great idea. However, I'd probably go with rotopax style cans/mounts. Post pics of what you come up with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.