Tailgate Rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Tailgate Rack

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tailgate Rack

I have a 99 TJ and currently do not carry a spare tire but have been thinking about building a rack that mounts to the tailgate in its place. I want to build something out of either round or square tubing that mounts to the factory holes in the tailgate.

I would use the rack to hold a jerry can, two ammo cans stacked on top of eachother maybe add a some of the cam lock cans to the back of that. The general shape is like the ORFab tire carrier, but I dont want to spend this much, and dont have a spare. In stead of being a swing out, I am thinking I want to solid mount it to the tailgate so it swings with it.

http://www.orfab.com/details.php?App...201&Title=JEEP TJ SWING AWAY SPARE TIRE/CAN CARRIER &Active=Yes

anyone ever make or buy anything like this?

Unread 05-22-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
Yankee-Juliet
1990 YJ Wrangler 

This sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't you eventually want a spare tire? What is your plan if you were to get a flat?

"Dog-gone it Roy-Jean, how many times do I have to explain it to ya, when I tell ya to put a rock under the wheel, I MEAN A ROCK!!" ~ C.W. McCall
Yankee-Juliet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
Eron
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee-Juliet View Post
This sounds pretty cool, but wouldn't you eventually want a spare tire? What is your plan if you were to get a flat?
^that. I think a spare would be a better idea. But if you just dont want one. It seems like you have the right idea. If you dont run a back seat you can mount it in there as well when you go wheeling.
Eron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #4
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would like to run a spare tire carrier, but since i dont have a fifth rim or tire, or tire carrier at this time I have to wait untill i can afford another 1000$ project. I am leaning towards an OrFab tire swing. This design loosely based on it. In the meantime tho I am thinking about building something out of materials I have laying around. This is what i have drawn up so far. I am going to look at how much work it would be to build the whole OrFab style swing to do the same job...
tailgate-rack3.jpg  
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
SkyHigh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think its a great idea. However, I'd probably go with rotopax style cans/mounts. Post pics of what you come up with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.