Show me your daily driver ? - Page 53 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #781 of 831 Old 02-18-2014, 06:06 PM
Richard_
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Dallas
Posts: 604
94 Mazda Protege , not as nice as most of you guys , but for $600.00 and 30 mpg , it will hold me over until my wifes Tundra is paid off



Richard_ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 831 Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,892
My new daily driver.



Kawasaki ninja 250, 65-70mpg
ashland82391 is offline  
post #783 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 06:12 AM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391
My new daily driver.



Kawasaki ninja 250, 65-70mpg
Mind me asking how much you paid? I'm kind of looking for a bike to save me some money.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #784 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 03:16 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
Mind me asking how much you paid? I'm kind of looking for a bike to save me some money.
You are looking to buy another vehicle to save money? You might want to look into how many miles it will take to start "saving your money". I would guess about 20k in miles before you even pay the bike off with gas mileage savings of said bike vs your jeep.

06 WK 5.7 Hemi Overland - Daily
87 MJ Chief 57k original miles... getting built in the backyard. 37s, waggy axles, D300, 6 speed, etc.

Gone - 05 LJ on 37s, 79 FSJ Chief on 38s, 85 CJ-7 on 31s
dayriesw is offline  
post #785 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 03:19 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 6,134
DD




06 WK 5.7 Hemi Overland - Daily
87 MJ Chief 57k original miles... getting built in the backyard. 37s, waggy axles, D300, 6 speed, etc.

Gone - 05 LJ on 37s, 79 FSJ Chief on 38s, 85 CJ-7 on 31s
dayriesw is offline  
post #786 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 03:24 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw

You are looking to buy another vehicle to save money? You might want to look into how many miles it will take to start "saving your money". I would guess about 20k in miles before you even pay the bike off with gas mileage savings of said bike vs your jeep.
How do you figure? If I can get a bike for $2k that gets 5x the mpg I do it shouldn't take 20,000 miles I wouldn't think.

I only work when I'm not at school (summer, Christmas, spring break), I can get a loan and even with the payments ill be I'm the positive. I fill up about one a week now and it's $50. With a bike it'll be closer to once a month and $20 max. That's $180 savings each month. About a year it'd pay for itself.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #787 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler
 
dayriesw's Avatar
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 6,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
How do you figure? If I can get a bike for $2k that gets 5x the mpg I do it shouldn't take 20,000 miles I wouldn't think.

I only work when I'm not at school (summer, Christmas, spring break), I can get a loan and even with the payments ill be I'm the positive. I fill up about one a week now and it's $50. With a bike it'll be closer to once a month and $20 max. That's $180 savings each month. About a year it'd pay for itself.
Well, I was thinking the bike was 4k since that is what they run around here. Even buying one at 2k, you will still need more insurance, helmet, yada yada, but we will keep it simple at 2k. Mileage on those is 40 to 75 mpg. So lets say 60 mpg and say your jeep is 15 mpg. Gas is about $4.

So your jeep will do 60 miles for $16 and the bike will do 60 miles for $4 saving you $12 for every 60 miles. To get to $2k savings (cost o' bike), you would need to drive 9999.9 miles and once again that doesn't take into account maintenance or sticker purchasing or whatever you will add to the bike. Just something to think about before you go buy something to save you money.

06 WK 5.7 Hemi Overland - Daily
87 MJ Chief 57k original miles... getting built in the backyard. 37s, waggy axles, D300, 6 speed, etc.

Gone - 05 LJ on 37s, 79 FSJ Chief on 38s, 85 CJ-7 on 31s
dayriesw is offline  
post #788 of 831 Old 02-19-2014, 03:59 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw

Well, I was thinking the bike was 4k since that is what they run around here. Even buying one at 2k, you will still need more insurance, helmet, yada yada, but we will keep it simple at 2k. Mileage on those is 40 to 75 mpg. So lets say 60 mpg and say your jeep is 15 mpg. Gas is about $4.

So your jeep will do 60 miles for $16 and the bike will do 60 miles for $4 saving you $12 for every 60 miles. To get to $2k savings (cost o' bike), you would need to drive 9999.9 miles and once again that doesn't take into account maintenance or sticker purchasing or whatever you will add to the bike. Just something to think about before you go buy something to save you money.
True. I didn't even think about insurance or anything like that.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #789 of 831 Old 02-22-2014, 07:42 PM
TJ-Bville
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 444
Everyday, starting Monday

TJ-Bville is offline  
post #790 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 01:09 AM
MAjeepkid
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Denver
Posts: 123
When it rains



when it doesnt rain

MAjeepkid is offline  
post #791 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post

Mind me asking how much you paid? I'm kind of looking for a bike to save me some money.
Sorry, didn't notice you asked me. I picked it up for 1550$.

As for the mileage debate.

It's a 70 mile round trip to school every day.

My bike gets 70mpg(coincidence)

My zj gets 16mpg. my YJ gets 13-14mpg

In one week ill drive 350 miles to school, one year 18,200+/-

So...$3.30 for gas

Zj= 3,753.75$

Yj= 4,620$

Bike= 858$

My bike will pay it's self off in less than a year.
ashland82391 is offline  
post #792 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
tyvanwie
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boone
Posts: 9,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391

Sorry, didn't notice you asked me. I picked it up for 1550$.

As for the mileage debate.

It's a 70 mile round trip to school every day.

My bike gets 70mpg(coincidence)

My zj gets 16mpg. my YJ gets 13-14mpg

In one week ill drive 350 miles to school, one year 18,200+/-

So...$3.30 for gas

Zj= 3,753.75$

Yj= 4,620$

Bike= 858$

My bike will pay it's self off in less than a year.
Nice. I don't drive quite that much, but I usually try and fill up back home where it's only about $3.08, so the numbers may be fairly close.

Thanks for that break down.

I don't even own a jeep anymore
tyvanwie is offline  
post #793 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 05:25 PM
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler
Posts: 7,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post

Nice. I don't drive quite that much, but I usually try and fill up back home where it's only about $3.08, so the numbers may be fairly close.

Thanks for that break down.
No problem, I actually surprised myself with the final numbers.
ashland82391 is offline  
post #794 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Thedawgshow
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsboro
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69rs View Post

In 4 months, I've put over 12,000 miles on her.
WOW!!! Now that is some driving.

DAWG

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline  
post #795 of 831 Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM
Thedawgshow
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Pittsboro
Posts: 1,391
Just bought it in December as a great toy to build up, and with the CRAZY winter snow this year (that's my story and I'm sticking to it) it has been my DD ever since. With a 40 mile commute and not wanting to put too many miles on it, It will be back to sharing the daily drive duties with a Honda very soon. Of course the better MPG on the Honda will leave me more money in the pocket book to spend on the TJ.


DAWG

My pappy was a pistol, I'm a son of a gun.
Thedawgshow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
My Daily Driver Jeepish crazy4ink Jeep Builds 19 04-24-2011 09:26 AM
1991 XJ daily driver Diamond-x Jeep Builds 2 11-03-2009 03:17 PM
My '02 Overland daily driver hammerz71 Jeep Builds 6 08-09-2009 02:28 PM
97 tj daily driver joeYJeep95 Jeep Builds 9 06-05-2009 12:15 PM
My 2002 TJ Daily Driver peeweeXJ Jeep Builds 12 04-26-2009 05:31 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome