Rock Climbing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Rock Climbing

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-26-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rock Climbing

Anybody here into rock climbing (by hand, not by jeep)?

I'd be interested in any links you have for good information on technique, safety, etc as my wife and I are getting into this stuff. I am hoping to get in better shape, spend more time outdoors (and do indoor gyms too), and just develop some skill and proficiency.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
treehugger

Rock climbing is my other hobby. Check out www.rockclimbing.com. It is a great place to get good answers to your questions. If you are totally new to the sport, seriously consider a trip with a giude. It is a good way to get safe hands-on experience. Also (probably obvious) You can never be to safe always double check your equipment, anchors, situation, ect. Enjoy your new experience for a long time to come.
Unread 09-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
climber01

i've been doing it for 5 years now (you'd never guess by my screename if you're in alabama consider horsepins 40. i've been many times and it has great outdoor bouldering. also there is rocktown in north-western georgia that is pretty good, but the camping isn't as good. as far a technique, i would just go to the local gym and watch or ask for help. many gyms also offer technique and ropes classes to get you familiar with things. where exactly are you located in AL?
climber01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in Huntsville and yes, I'm very much a beginner. I do have a Petzl harness, grigri, and carbiner, so I have a few of the basic tools of the trade.

I just realized this thread is in the Pic Requests. Can a mod move it to General discussion please?
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Alan Ellis
2014 JK Wrangler 

I started climbing about five years ago. It has evolved into technical mountaineering which I love. In fact, I bought a Jeep Rubicon so I could use 4wd roads in Colorado to get to the high trailheads. www.SummitPost.org is a good website if you are interested in climbing mountains. Good luck in your new hobby.
Unread 09-29-2005, 08:34 PM   #6
gwarusee

I've recently gotten in to bouldering, and have had a blast so far. It started with a friend and I making fun of that french/english sport called parquor/freerunning. Before I knew it I was a hard core gap jumping, roof climbing idiot. Thats when I started checking out some of the local mountains here in NC such as kings, crouters(spelling?) grandfather etc.. Im more into freeclimbing without any ropes or harnesses, which of course keeps me on the easier courses and rock faces, but I still have a blast. there isnt a bigger rush then knowing that one wrong move or foot placement could mean a fall to certain death
gwarusee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.