refinished bumpers or sliders - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2017, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Scott00TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

refinished bumpers or sliders

It's time to do something about the rusting and failing powder coating on my rockers and bumpers. There are so many options out there from having them powder coated again, bedliner, rattle can, ect. I can't make up my mind so I'm looking for some inspiration.

I would like to see what you have done and used after the original coating failed. I'm specifically interested in what texture you went with and why you chose what you did. Please post as specific as possible details about what you used in addition to the picture. I appreciate it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-24-2017, 05:30 PM
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

No pictures here, but about sliders, mine were powder coated and then I coated them with a spray on bed liner and even then another coat of spray paint. Well in 8-9 years, rocks from the front tires have chipped them up and I'm seeing rust spots starting to show. So I'm going to remove the sliders this weekend and see about getting them coated with Linex? I'm not sure that anything will take rubbing on rocks, but hopefully, the Linex will do better about rock chips?

Why Linex? The trailer that I tow behind my Jeep is coated with the stuff and about nothing sticks to it. So far I see no chips on it from rocks hitting it from my Jeep's rear tires. Linex seems like heavy duty stuff, certainly more so than what my sliders currently have.

P.S. Here is a close-up shot of the Linex on my trailer.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer -

"Civilization is what old men manage to salvage
from the onslaught of young idealists. -- Don Colacho

post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2017, 10:08 PM
cody4359
1987 MJ Comanche 

I was going to do a bed liner brand called full metal jacket. the 1st time I called they were very helpful and said my project would take 30 mins to do, I just had to wait for my seam sealer to cure. the next 3 times I went there, the original person I talked to wasn't there and they would fit me in so I said screw it and got some rattle can bed liner. that was for my fender flares I just made, well so how it hold up but it looks good and was cheap.

a few months ago I coated my bumpers and rock rails in night shades vht wrinkle finish. I read to get it to cure it needed to be in an oven at 250* or so, if not curing can take up to a week. so I coated all the stuff numerous times and about a week later (temps were 40-50) it was all good other than a few thick spots. I like the wrinkle finish and time will tell how durable it is.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM
cody4359
1987 MJ Comanche 

Disregard the coating that I used. It looks good but isn't durable. Once it's gets horrible I'm going to strip it and do the monstaliner now thst I have a bed liner gun

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

post #5 of 6 Old 07-10-2017, 07:38 PM
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I also have rock sliders but can't find any pics of them offhand
Attached Thumbnails
fender1.jpg   fender2.jpg   fender3.jpg  
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 PM
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Oh and as far as details, I used Raptor Liner, I've been very happy with it. It's held up very well over about 5 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.