rear tire carriers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > rear tire carriers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

im looking at a whole new bumper so im leaning towards the bumper mounted ones

redrubicon11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #17
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i'd honestly get either tnt's or or-fabs tub mounted. its really necessary for a 35" tire or larger.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ive been following your build so im curious to why you put a warn one on the second lj?
Unread 09-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #19
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Ground Pounder Fab. rear bumper and swing out tire carrier. There is absolutely nothing negative to say about it. It is SOLID as a rock, no rattles, and you can't beat the quality of it (I don't care how much you want to spend on something else); my setup cost me 1/2 of what other bumpers are going for and that was SHIPPED to my door!

You can turn/flip the portion of the tire carrier where the wheel and tire mounts to either have the spare sit lower or higher (just two settings "higher and lower"). So if you want it to sit lower while your out on the streets to have more visibility and then flip it when wheeling to have more clearance on approach and departures then you can! It was very easy to install; I installed it by myself (with the help of a bucket and a couple pieces of wood) with no problem. There are also several options for "accessories" when you order it from Eddie. That leads me to the next thing; you will not find a better guy to do business with than Eddie! He is there for whatever questions you may have before and after the purchase!

On my bumper I got the two D-ring mounts, recessed hitch, antenna mount, high lift mount (can be attached and detached) and the 1/4" frame tie in kit.

Sorry about the "not so good pics" it was pretty dark out when I took the pics but here is my Ground Pounder Fab. rear bumper and swing out tire carrier:

Swing out locked in the open position:

1/4" Frame tie in kit:

Again, you can't go wrong with this setup!
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:01 AM   #20
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Absolutely love my ARB bumper.

No shakes, no rattles,
slam shut latch,
hinge bolt goes through the bumper twice, above and below the arm, which I think goes a long way towards making it solid, and I've yet to see another bumper do that.
There's also an adjustable pre-load on the bottom of the hinge bolt, so you can dial out any sag in the arm so it opens and closes effortlessly.
Factory third brake light mounts right up.
Also a gas shock to assist / dampen opening it.
Spring lock mechanism to hold it in the open position when off-camber.
Spring lock mechanism to prevent it from opening too far if there's a car next to you. Normally it would open to about 110 degrees or so but you can lock it out at 90 degrees if needed.
Tow points
Tow Hitch
Frame tie ins.
Full wrap-around protection on the corners.
Optional HiLift attachment - which I don't have as trolley jacks bolted to a piece of wood work better for us in the desert.
Adjustable Backspacing on the tire mount so you can make sure it sits tight on the swing-arm.

Other than holding fuel cans, it literally ticks every box.

Also - even though it looks huge, the lower edge of it is pretty much level with the bottom of the chassis. The top of the bumper is just below the tailgate opening, so it's overlapping a lot of the tub. If you have a body lift, this bumper will do a great job of hiding it too. Point being, at first impression you might think it kills your departure angle. It doesn't. Yes there are higher clearance options if that's your goal - but this one is not bad at all.

Weight? Well - all those features are going to add weight so yeah... it isn't light. But I actually like having the extra weight in the back - keeps the Jeep more balanced for my terrain.

Price? Well... lets just say you get what you pay for

Only thing I've done differently is I took one of the rubber bumpers off the tailgate door and mounted it on the back of the tire carrier, so the door rests against it when it's open.

And when I say no shakes... it definitely gets tested

It's amazing what a difference it made getting it off the door and on to the bumper. The Jeep feels noticeably more solid.

I will say OR-FAB's body mounted carrier is also very solid. You need to take care when installing it to make sure the swing arm aligns to the clamp plate when you close it otherwise you'll always have to lift it to close it... and the latch isn't as nice to use... but it definitely passes the solid test.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #21
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It's not a TJ, But I had a friend build my Tirecarrier with the A-Z Fab kit for the YJ that I owned

4414913978_51a74413f4_b.jpg   l_d1d394d64e3a4de5a4e2d1ab02e81800.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Coop02x do you have anymore pictures of it and thanks to all who have replied
Unread 09-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
4wdjeepguy
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubicon11 View Post
ive been following your build so im curious to why you put a warn one on the second lj?
It was just his taste. I'm deff not a fan of them. I'm waiting to see what savvy comes out with as far as a tub mounted tire carrier.
4wdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #24
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

oh
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #25
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrubicon11 View Post
Coop02x do you have anymore pictures of it and thanks to all who have replied
Not right off but I will take some more for you when I get home tomorrow from church. The lighting will be much better and will result in some better pictures for you (I literally was at work and came across your thread, walked out to get some pictures for you and posted them later on). I'll re-shoot the views I posted previously as well as some other shots including mounting points, spindle, etc.

Is there anything specific you want to see or just some more "general photos"?

Just let me know if you want to see something specific on the bumper and I will get pics of whatever you want to look at!
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #26
stevef67

Looks good man
stevef67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i appreciate it
Unread 09-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #28
redrubicon11
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
Absolutely love my ARB bumper.

No shakes, no rattles,
slam shut latch,
hinge bolt goes through the bumper twice, above and below the arm, which I think goes a long way towards making it solid, and I've yet to see another bumper do that.
There's also an adjustable pre-load on the bottom of the hinge bolt, so you can dial out any sag in the arm so it opens and closes effortlessly.
Factory third brake light mounts right up.
Also a gas shock to assist / dampen opening it.
Spring lock mechanism to hold it in the open position when off-camber.
Spring lock mechanism to prevent it from opening too far if there's a car next to you. Normally it would open to about 110 degrees or so but you can lock it out at 90 degrees if needed.
Tow points
Tow Hitch
Frame tie ins.
Full wrap-around protection on the corners.
Optional HiLift attachment - which I don't have as trolley jacks bolted to a piece of wood work better for us in the desert.
Adjustable Backspacing on the tire mount so you can make sure it sits tight on the swing-arm.

Other than holding fuel cans, it literally ticks every box.

Also - even though it looks huge, the lower edge of it is pretty much level with the bottom of the chassis. The top of the bumper is just below the tailgate opening, so it's overlapping a lot of the tub. If you have a body lift, this bumper will do a great job of hiding it too. Point being, at first impression you might think it kills your departure angle. It doesn't. Yes there are higher clearance options if that's your goal - but this one is not bad at all.

Weight? Well - all those features are going to add weight so yeah... it isn't light. But I actually like having the extra weight in the back - keeps the Jeep more balanced for my terrain.

Price? Well... lets just say you get what you pay for

Only thing I've done differently is I took one of the rubber bumpers off the tailgate door and mounted it on the back of the tire carrier, so the door rests against it when it's open.

And when I say no shakes... it definitely gets tested

It's amazing what a difference it made getting it off the door and on to the bumper. The Jeep feels noticeably more solid.

I will say OR-FAB's body mounted carrier is also very solid. You need to take care when installing it to make sure the swing arm aligns to the clamp plate when you close it otherwise you'll always have to lift it to close it... and the latch isn't as nice to use... but it definitely passes the solid test.
how do you go in wiring up the factory brake light
Unread 09-04-2011, 02:52 PM   #29
RallyeX
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have the TNT and love it.

RallyeX

In a couple of weeks I am going to add the Swag bumper to go with the TNT tire carrier.

RallyeX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #30
Coop02x
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Here are the pictures I promised! These shouldn't leave much to the imagination in getting a feel for what these are really like. Sorry I didn't get them up sooner for you.

Three studs to mount spare on

Spindle

Latch

Shackle mount

Where it mounts into the rear frame rail (it is like this on both sides)

Also mounts on the bottom side of your frame like the stock bumper does

¼” Frame tie in kit again

Backside of recessed hitch

Spare tire mount (this is what you can flip/rotate to lower or raise your spare)

Inside view of the receiver and mount

I think that's all of them. If there something else you want to see or have any questions then just let me know and I'll do my best for you!

Hope all is well!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.