Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Post your retread pictures

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  NWANICK 
#1 ·
I'm about to order a set. Just curious on how they look. Those of you who have them, please post if you can :)

#4 ·
Trouble Maker said:
And exactly what are you basing this statement on?

I have run several sets over the years with zero problems.
Pix? :D ....

mind me asking about your experience with them? What should i look out for, do, not do, etc? My jeep's a 50/50 trail/DD so it sees alot of dirt :)

#5 ·
Muddeprived said:
Pix? :D ....

mind me asking about your experience with them? What should i look out for, do, not do, etc? My jeep's a 50/50 trail/DD so it sees alot of dirt :)
Sorry no pics, they were all Bandag retreaded light truck casings but had a fairly mild tread pattern. Never had any tire separation or balancing problems.
Forget the retreaders name but they sell several different tread patterns, even some with a green diamond compound for winter traction in the tread, if I could get a set without paying through the nose for shipping/duty I would give them a try. Have read nothing but good reviews by people that run them.

I just get peeved by people that say they are dangerous with nothing to back up their statements.

Found a link,
http://greendiamondtire.com/concept.html

#6 ·
Trouble Maker said:
Sorry no pics, they were all Bandag retreaded light truck casings but had a fairly mild tread pattern. Never had any tire separation or balancing problems.
Forget the retreaders name but they sell several different tread patterns, even some with a green diamond compound for winter traction in the tread, if I could get a set without paying through the nose for shipping/duty I would give them a try. Have read nothing but good reviews by people that run them.

I just get peeved by people that say they are dangerous with nothing to back up their statements.

Found a link,
http://greendiamondtire.com/concept.html
http://high-tec-retreading.com//DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=240&tabindex=1

That's where i'm ordering from.

#11 ·
BlaineWasHere said:
That is NOT what these retreads are.
And I'm pretty sure that there's no re-treads as he described. Pretty sure that would be illegal most places.

I'm personally not a fan, and I don't think they're AS safe. I've ran them in the past on cars when I was a poor student, and I never had a problem with them, except them not lasting really long.
All in all though, if you're 'green' at heart, they're not a bad thing.

#12 ·
Retread is when you take a bald tire and basically put tread back on them. Not sure how it works exactly, sort of like putting a new layer of ruber on that has a tread on it.

I personally wouldn't run them. Ever.

We've run them on our F350 flatbed because they were on it when we bought it, and we had one of the rears blow the tread on the highway.

It's sort of like, you get what you pay for. You go cheap, you get shoddy performance with shoddy craftsmanship. It's not as dependable as a brand new tire is.

#15 ·
#18 ·
GothicJeep said:
Here are some old pics of my rig with Hi Tec Muds in 30x9.5...

I'm not sure how easy it is to see them, but here they are. BTW - - I'd recommend them to any Jeeper on a budget. I've had zero problems with mine...

Are those the OTR muds or D-muds? and THANK YOU for the picture. :thumbsup:

#19 ·
I too looked at these tires and the only reason I didnt get them is I found some tires locally cheap and I needed them right away. I went to google and read every forum and post that had something about them. It seems the only people with negatives to say were the ones that didnt have them. There was a guy that had a tread split on him, so they just sent him a new tire no questions asked since he had just gotten the tires. I will likely buy these when I need new tires.

I have also read that if u ask for bfg AT carcass they will make u some tires when they get the carcasses in for it. that way u get 3 ply sidewalls.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=103163&highlight=retread

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41547&highlight=retread

#20 ·
Here's a reply i got from the dude at high-tech:

Thank you for your inquiry, when you order you may specify which casing you
would like, but it may have to wait for this to be manufactured. sometimes
the availability of this size casing is not good.quite often you'll take six
to eight weeks to get this tire. I will include my general information,
feel free to e-mail me anytime.

Some general information, to be able to give you pricing include shipping
and handling I will need 3 things.
(1)tire size,(2) tread design,(3) and your zip code. Also available on my
web site. also if you would like
specific information such as load range, availability of white walls etc.
please mention this as well.

We use a full grade truck rubber on all our tires, which contains about 15
to 20 percent natural rubber.
This means you get better heat dispersion in the summer, better cut
resistance, and superb adhesion to the tire casing.
we computer spin balance our tires on static at the factory and require this
static balance when reinstalling the tires.
when static balance, tires 32 inch and smaller are warranted to be under
eight ounces, 33 inches and larger less than
10 ounces. (our tires generally will average between 3-5 ounces, depending
on your wheels.

Green diamond tires are also available, green diamond tires have a small
carbide particle blended through the tread compound,
which gives traction similar to a studded tire,but has No Noise,& No
Seasonal Restriction.May be running in all 50 states
year around. This is the ultimate all weather tire, gives you superb
traction on DRY,WET,SNOWY, ICY, road conditions.

Our business hours 8-5 M-F, Mountain time. Toll-free number 1-877-439-0759,
alternate number1-605-662-5145.
fax number 1-605-745-5558. E-mail general information hawkins@gwtc.net
e-mail to manufacturing facility gdtires@gwtc.net
shipping address 5 West Hwy. 18 Edgemont, South Dakota 57735. mailing
address P.O. Box 763 Edgemont, SD 57735.

We except MasterCard, Visa card, Discover card, and money orders.

Our warranty is two years or 24,000 miles workmanship &
materials of the retreading process only. We do not offer a road hazard
warranty,
or cover damaged due to off road,underinflation, tire abuse.

We appreciate your interest in our product, best regards Rick.

Figured i'd post it for future references.

#21 ·
Muddeprived said:
Are those the OTR muds or D-muds? and THANK YOU for the picture. :thumbsup:
I believe I got the the D-Muds. I needed tires when I bought them, and they didn't have any 31's or OTR's in at the time, so I wound up with the D-Mud. 35K miles later and no regrets. I expect I'll get another 10 or 15k on 'em. They also didn't have any BFG carcasses whenI called, so I requested the Goodyear, expecting AT's. You can imagine my surprise when the tires showed up on my porch three days later with GSA sidewalls. :eek:

Besides that - they're a really good looking, aggressively treaded tire with a nice hum on the freeway. It does make me giggle when guys who know tires roll up on me and do double takes to see GSA's with a big, chunky mud tread. :D

Goth...

#22 ·
GothicJeep said:
Besides that - they're a really good looking, aggressively treaded tire with a nice hum on the freeway. It does make me giggle when guys who know tires roll up on me and do double takes to see GSA's with a big, chunky mud tread. :D

Goth...
that's definately something to see....

#23 ·
I have a friend who swears by them. His tires have held up thru everything in the Ozarks that my BFG's have.
He's driven more than twenty thousand miles on them and loves them. They look like the old BFG MTR's. For the price you cant beat them. I was skeptical also, but they have held up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.