Police spotlights on your Jeeps - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Police spotlights on your Jeeps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #16
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean source? And are the pictures not working?

mstimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #17
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pictures are fine. I missed the "pick and pull" the first time around. I was looking for a place that sold them.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

oh, I got them on ebay, the quality is like brand new. It cost me something like 60 bucks for the pair, they just strip them off crown vic's and sell them next to nothing, they're the same ones that cost $250 new though. I should have taken pictures at night too, I was surprised how well they worked.
Unread 11-09-2009, 08:04 AM   #19
ellewood

i am a new comer to this site.All the enhancements for the jeeps given in this site are awesome.
i love and support this site forum.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #20
bpeterson
1999 TJ Wrangler 

how was the install? easy to cut into the sheet metal in that area? i want to do this on my tj really bad
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #21
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstimo View Post
So I got around to installing the search lights and was pretty impressed with how they came out, especially with a limited amount of tools I had with me. I ended up not having to touch the hinges of the windshield except for one little hole on the outside that I used as a mounting bracket, but it could have very easily been avoided by locating it in a slightly different location. I used 2in by 2in by 1in blocks of aluminum on the inside and outside as brackets and a set screw to hold it in place.

PS. I didn't finish completely wiring it

I hope that helps. Any questions, feel free to ask.
That looks killer! Did you end up fabricating the mounts yourself? If so, how much would ya charge to make another one for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Maybe I missed it... Do you have a source for these lights?
I pulled mine off an old Caprice cop car in a JY. I liked the bulky metal, older style cop lights.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The entire install was really easy but it took me probably 6 hours because I am a perfectionist and really didn't have all the right tools for the job. I actually plan to take the aluminum blocks off another day and make them completely flush with the window frame. the other thing that made it take so long was that I wanted to aim them so they would point straight ahead without having to tilt it sideways so getting the right angle took a little longer too. If you do install some let me know because I'd love to see how it went. I tried researching it for a while and never really came up with any results so I'm curious how other people would do it.
Unread 11-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnjp88 View Post
If so, how much would ya charge to make another one for me?
Also, do your mounts allow full movement of the spotlight? How well do they hold the actual "arm" of the light?
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That looks killer! Did you end up fabricating the mounts yourself? If so, how much would ya charge to make another one for me?

I pulled mine off an old Caprice cop car in a JY. I liked the bulky metal, older style cop lights.
Yeah I probably could, I had those materials laying around so I would have to see what it would cost me to buy everything to make some more. Just as a ball park estimate what do you think you'd be willing to pay per pair?
Unread 11-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #25
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, do your mounts allow full movement of the spotlight? How well do they hold the actual "arm" of the light?
They hold just fine, no problem with movement. the lights I bought can only tilt about 90 degrees side to side and it stops it from twisting the outside sleeve just like it is supposed to (kinda hard to explain if you dont know what I'm talking about). Basically, it works just like it would in a police car.
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I called up the manufacturer of my spotlight, and special ordered the mounting bracket for YJs. It came as a complete kit, including bracket, rubber seal, all mounting hardware, extensive instructions, and a template to place on your windshield frame to help with mounting location.

I'm installing the light tomorrow/Saturday. I'll post up some after pics!

~Kyle
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #27
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Another example...

This is a spotlight install from one of my favorite builds on this site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatooweeny View Post
And here's a much needed item for night driving.

It's a Unity spotlight I found at a local antique shop. I talked them down to 15 bucks because of the shoddy wiring and missing parts. When I got home, I rewired it and made an inside mount out of scrap metal. It works great! I decided to mount on the passenger side for 2 reasons. One, my cousin would have something to do (look for large boulders) when we're driving through mud in the middle of the nowhere at 11 o'clock at night, & Two, because would probably misuse it if it were closer to me when I'm driving alone.

This pic shows how I'll keep it when I'm in town or not using it. It will protect the glass, plus keep me from getting a ticket. Eventually, it will have a cover.

The Unity spotlight website shows that you can basically buy any part for the older & newer models. Getting a new handle cap is on the list.
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #28
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Those look awesome. Where are you planning on mounting them? And how much did they set you back?
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #29
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstimo View Post
Those look awesome. Where are you planning on mounting them? And how much did they set you back?
The whole kit was $35 shipped to my door. I haven't decided exactly where I'm going to mount it yet. I'll either mount it vertically right above the windshield hinge, as per the instructions, or mount diagonally in between the windshield and the hinge. It's going to come down to which position provides most clearance for the handle.
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #30
mstimo
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I hear ya on that one. Figuring out where I wanted to put them was one of the hardest parts for me. I'd suggest you actually reverse the bracket and mount it on the inside and make a simple bracket on the outside (sheet metal and 2 screws and some silicon caulk). Doing that will keep the light closer to the windshield on the outside which makes it less likely to snag something and break, plus I thought it looked weird sticking out so far. By doing this, you will also have the handle stick in farther in the cab, clearing your hand from the dashboard and making mobility a lot easier.

Just something to think about...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.