Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Pizza Cutters - Anyone tall & skinny?

603K views 651 replies 310 participants last post by  IMP095 
#1 ·
Post 'em if ya got 'em...

#227 ·
I was in the canyon the other day with one guy in an expeditioned out Toyota 4x4 and a Unimog both had Swampers one set of LTB's the other normal old set of TSLs

Both of them said terrible on the street one guy claimed in the rain he spun the tires leaving from a stop light even babying it. (I call bs but that's up for others to decide) So I've heard they are miserable on the street.. But the Iroks and TruXus M/T's supposedly are the Bee's Knees

#230 ·
I've been running the LTB's since the first of the year here in Ohio, it's been wet, slush, ice, snow, and dry. Other than braking too hard on black ice that I didn't see, they have been great. They are pretty new so maybe the rubber gets harder as they age?

I would compare the rubber softness to a 250 - 300 treadwear rating, like a car summer sport tire. I think they are pretty grippy and would do well on rocks.

Mine still barely say "Swamper" on the edge of the knobs, so they are just getting broken in. They don't ride like a lightweight radial, I think I read that they weigh 58lbs each or so, so you can feel them thumping around some. Sunday I had to unmount and mount them a few times while I was working on the Jeep, they get heavy pretty fast.

Hope that helps!

#237 ·
Really depends on the kind of mud your goin through, if its just a sink hole with no bottom skinny tires will dig and dig until your floating on your diffs. Basically 2 schools of thought, you can dig through it with skinny tires or float over it with wide tires. I've got 31X10.5 MTZs and they love to dig... little bit to much actually, they leave me hangin on my axles every now and then.

#238 ·
Yeah I've heard both stories however where jeeps weigh so much less than the big trucks I've heard the narrower tires can be good. On a lot of other surfaces I've heard the skinny can be better but for rocks that wide helps the tire to form over the rock more and more contact surface.. That's unfounded though because a wider contact patch with less friction doesn't necessarily mean better traction.

#242 ·
lol No..that won't happen half the fun of big lug mud terrain tires is the chunks of mud they spit up in your @#$% eating grin when your wheelin

#243 ·
You know, I will agree with you 100 percent on that. Its always quite a show on my street on jeep cleaning day. There is a quarter mile river of mud to the nearest sewer drain. :cheers2:

And to keep this related to the topic..... i have mickey Thomson MTZ's.....love to dig and spit baseball size chunks of mud everywhere. highly recommended.
i have 31X10.5, wish i got 33 by 15 tho, i think the extra tread width would be good because these tires do LOVE to dig, and they will bury you to the doors.

Mud is good for you:thumbsup:

#244 ·
hahaha ya I agree.

I was out wheeling and I hit a mud hole...and get stuck. The girl I was with pulls around in her Jeep to pull me out (about 30 sec) and when she turns around and sees my Jeep she asks "how did your Jeep get so dirty?" I was just spinning my tires a little trying to get out, my Jeep was covered in mud...it was awesome:D.

#249 ·
Where are you all getting your tires now? I hit up 1 place that said interco is not making tires right now? That Denman is moving or something to that effect?

#250 ·
well interco is still making tires BUt they are on a huge back order right now...Denman has closed down due to insufficient funds to purchase materials...with that said Interco is not closing down they are a seperate corporation from Denman tires, they just have a contract with denman to produce some of their tires...Interco has molds in that factory but that is not the only factory making their tires. ALTHOUGH i have heard that Pitbull tire Co has ALL their tires made at Denman, so they maybe SOL. i just lucked out and found the last four LTB 34x10.5 on summit racing. Back to the Interco situation, they still have a few industries in mexico and i think one in Louisiana making their tires...just wont be ready until summer time as i have been told from all the customer service reps while i was lookin for some 35x12.5 ltb
with that said here are my pics!!!!

#253 ·
Finally got to try the Swamper LTB's in mud, technically it was a flood! Part of it was the Aussie Locker, but I have to give a lot of credit to the Swampers. I was very hooked up and didn't get stuck. The worst that happened was that I bogged down on a couple hills in 4-Low third and had to stop and drop it to second.

#254 · (Edited)
Here are some Simex Extreme Trekker pizza cutters for you.

Note that Simex tires (Malaysian) run taller than stated size. Around 1" taller than stated size. So a 32 is really a 33. A 33 is really a 34, etc, if comparing to American tires.

Also, they run 0.5" wider than stated size. So a 9.5 wide is really a 10" wide. A 10.5 wide is really 11" wide, and so on.

Some pizza cutters in action: Simex Tires In Action

Tire sizes: Simex Tires

A review (sort of): http://www.offroaders.com/reviewbox/showproduct.php?product=701

#256 ·

31x10.5 Hercules Trail Digger MT's on 15" rims.
Not too skinny. I love these tires... fairly cheap, too.

On a side note, skinny tires are great in a few inches of snow, but once you get to deep snow they sink like mad. You need wide tires and no air for snow... flotation, flotation, flotation!
Mine don't do so great in snow (awesome in mud) because they dig too much.

#257 ·
On a side note, skinny tires are great in a few inches of snow, but once you get to deep snow they sink like mad. You need wide tires and no air for snow... flotation, flotation, flotation!
Mine don't do so great in snow (awesome in mud) because they dig too much.
My 33x10.5's did great in the big DC snow just for that reason. They dug down to the pavement and got traction. I never once had trouble getting traction with them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.