Pizza Cutters - Anyone tall & skinny? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Pizza Cutters - Anyone tall & skinny?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-27-2008, 06:20 PM   #46
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrensparadise View Post
well not to beat this to death but the reason narrow tires do well off road actually has to do with PSI. not tire pressure psi but total pounds per square inch of ground/mud/snow contact. if your jeep weighs for example 3500 lbs, that weight is a constant (does not change very much with wide or narrow tires) however the amount of weight (pounds per square inch of contact) under the tires changes significantly. the pressure/weight available for traction would be twice as much on a 10" wide tire as a 20" wide tire (not that you are running 20" wide)
I agree that your pressure per square inch would change.. but I completely disagree about that being the reason skinny tires do well.

If that was the case, why would anyone air down? Keep 40 psi in your tires, less tire touching the ground = more traction!

Bottom line is the more tire that's touching the ground.. the better traction you have. The lower tire pressure you run, the more traction you have.

Skinny tires work well for some terrains like mud that has a hard bottom or snow on top of rocks etc... but they don't work as well as a fat tire in rocks, deep mud, muskeg, or deep snow.

Imagine a snow shoe in 3 feet of snow vs. a bicycle tire.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:00 AM   #47
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesy00tj View Post
flatlander: im new to jeeps and offroading (just bought my first a few months ago) and your's was the first one i saw w/ 33x10.5, and honestly at first i hated them, i was dead set on goin w/ wider tires... but since then i've only grown on them as i've researched the advantages there are. now, i definitely think im goin w/ them when i get my next set.

nice jeep btw.
Thanks man

Yeah I've got 12,000 miles on mine with not a lot of wear at all(still have all 3 "stages" of lugs), great grip everywhere, no problems in sand whatsoever(if you run up big dunes I cannot comment on that, not allowed on the dunes in NC), and great on rocks and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 12:52 AM   #48
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

34x 10.50
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #49
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

So whats considered deep mud where skinny tires would be less beneficial then skinny tires, you can only sink so far before you are stuck.

are there any 35x10.5 tires?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 04:36 PM   #50
raskull
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribs View Post
So whats considered deep mud where skinny tires would be less beneficial then skinny tires, you can only sink so far before you are stuck.

are there any 35x10.5 tires?
I dunno.. if the mud is hard on the bottom, and is only up to the bottom of your diff.. good to go.

Raskull - Metallic Silver '03 Jeep TJ Sport (pic)
http://myjeeptj.com <- Write-ups on mods/maintenance/trips and a video/image gallery
Custom front bumper build
Custom rockers build
My build thread
raskull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 05:01 PM   #51
Narwhal
1983 CJ7 

Don't get this wrong, I'm all for skinny tires but the only thing that would have saved me here was a very, very wide tire and lots of the skinny pedal.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/k...i/P6130100.jpg
Narwhal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #52
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure good MT tires that are meant for mud would have been fine. I was in a puddle up to the hood line and had no problem with mine last time in Uwharrie.

MT/Rs aren't exactly fantastic in mud comparatively speaking, moreso meant for rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #53
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzle View Post

Here's a couple with my black soft 8's with the same backspacing

click free
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:43 PM   #54
MCDavis
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi-Rubi View Post
Don't get this wrong, I'm all for skinny tires but the only thing that would have saved me here was a very, very wide tire and lots of the skinny pedal.
click free
MCDavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #55
spokanistan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run 33X10.5 BFG AT TA K/O ABCDE's right now.

After work I am off to pick up some BFG MT studs in 33X9.5 that have been gathering dust since BFG quit making them, 80% and all the studs still in for $150. Found an old pair of Stock Jeep wheels for $50 so $200 in parts and another $100 for new stems, mount, etc and I'll try to post before and after pics between the two if anyone wants to see that.
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #56
IGotADisneyJeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone have pictures with Skinny Tires with a flat fender & a lift that's 3.5" & Up?
IGotADisneyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:18 PM   #57
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

I need to get some more shots ... and not poser shots ... seems like I post the same pics over and over, LOL:

33" x 10.5" BFG AT T/A KOs, stock tire carrier

C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #58
bingolli
1993 XJ Cherokee 

i'm no expert on the subject but it seems to me that theres only so much a mud tire can do, in nasty mud like that rubi-rubi i think only something like boggers and lots of gas would have saved you. i really like the look of skinny tall tires and theyre the most appropriate for the type of terrain where i live, so i'm sticking with them! right now i have 235/75 ATs but when i upgrade to larger tires i'll probly go with 33x9.5 MTs. i wish they made 31x9.5 tho, that would be the perfect size for me
Unread 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #59
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingolli View Post
i'm no expert on the subject but it seems to me that theres only so much a mud tire can do, in nasty mud like that rubi-rubi i think only something like boggers and lots of gas would have saved you. i really like the look of skinny tall tires and theyre the most appropriate for the type of terrain where i live, so i'm sticking with them! right now i have 235/75 ATs but when i upgrade to larger tires i'll probly go with 33x9.5 MTs. i wish they made 31x9.5 tho, that would be the perfect size for me

What your looking for is a 245/75/16. That measures 30.5x9.6. So just go find some Rubicon take offs and your set. Or if you want something a little taller get a 235/85/16, that measures 31.7 x 9.4. So something close to the size you want is available, but you need a 16" rim.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2008, 02:05 PM   #60
00jeepred
2000 TJ Wrangler 

33X10.5's on 15X8's

gotta love em sorry for the crapy cell pic.

I wave.
00jeepred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.