Pics of Flareless Bare Aluminum Savvy Corners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Pics of Flareless Bare Aluminum Savvy Corners

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 10-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of Flareless Bare Aluminum Savvy Corners

I am on the fence as to weather I want to order the version for running flares or the clean look of the ones without the holes for flares. Considering my state doesn't have tire coverage laws, I have a choice in the matter so I'd like to see some pics of the no flare corners, please.

Unread 10-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00bz View Post
I am on the fence as to weather I want to order the version for running flares or the clean look of the ones without the holes for flares. Considering my state doesn't have tire coverage laws, I have a choice in the matter so I'd like to see some pics of the no flare corners, please.
I bought the corners, mine came bare (no flare mounting holes) I do believe. Now you have to drill your own holes for flares, which I did. I did run my Jeep a week or so without the flares and I hate to tell you this, it was terribly annoying. I live down a dirt and gravel road and mud, rocks, gravel were flung everywhere, inside and out. If that is your thing, go right ahead. I realize for extreme suspension travel, huge tires and serious off road it makes sense, for a DD Jeep, it does not. I drilled my corners, powder coated them and installed fresh Rubicon OEM flares. My tires, being as they are 12.5 inches wide, still stick out and throw crap but it is acceptable now as it mostly misses me and my Jeep. This makes my Jeep very happy and it loves me. When my Jeep is happy, I am happy .

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4
I bought the corners, mine came bare (no flare mounting holes) I do believe. Now you have to drill your own holes for flares, which I did. I did run my Jeep a week or so without the flares and I hate to tell you this, it was terribly annoying. I live down a dirt and gravel road and mud, rocks, gravel were flung everywhere, inside and out. If that is your thing, go right ahead. I realize for extreme suspension travel, huge tires and serious off road it makes sense, for a DD Jeep, it does not. I drilled my corners, powder coated them and installed fresh Rubicon OEM flares. My tires, being as they are 12.5 inches wide, still stick out and throw crap but it is acceptable now as it mostly misses me and my Jeep. This makes my Jeep very happy and it loves me. When my Jeep is happy, I am happy . J
They still have the option of ones with the flare holes and one without on their website. Maybe Gerald will chime in.
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc00bz View Post
They still have the option of ones with the flare holes and one without on their website. Maybe Gerald will chime in.
Yes, but, I was told they no longer come with flare holes. I wanted them with, they came without.

To get the holes I mounted up the corners, after they had been fitted and then I "back drilled" through the tub panels using an appropriate sized bit and through the corners. I did this using my pneumatic 90 degree angle drill. I had to remove the wheels and liners. The holes that are not accessible from the backside I made a template from Lexan, located those holes by eye with the Lexan template drilled to a few of the body holes and then transferred them to my corners. I used Clecos to hold the Lexan template to the corners. I then then deburred the holes and then located the holes for the flare locating tabs and used a Unibit to get those up to size. This took quite a bit of time and it would have been nice not to have spent the afternoon doing it, but, what if the corners came with holes that did not line up perfectly? In the end, I think I got a better result doing them myself, even if it took time and effort. So, it all worked out.

Here is how they came:

Here is after I drilled in the flare holes:

Flares on:

I am an A&P and over the years have done quite a bit of aircraft sheet metal (not my favorite thing to do). This is baby stuff compared to replacing the forward cabin/cockpit of a Citation jet, but a PITA nonetheless.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 05:27 PM   #5
sc00bz
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X4X4
Yes, but, I was told they no longer come with flare holes. I wanted them with, they came without. To get the holes I mounted up the corners, after they had been fitted and then I "back drilled" through the tub panels using an appropriate sized bit and through the corners. I did this using my pneumatic 90 degree angle drill. I had to remove the wheels and liners. The holes that are not accessible from the backside I made a template from Lexan, located those holes by eye with the Lexan template drilled to a few of the body holes and then transferred them to my corners. I used Clecos to hold the Lexan template to the corners. I then then deburred the holes and then located the holes for the flare locating tabs and used a Unibit to get those up to size. This took quite a bit of time and it would have been nice not to have spent the afternoon doing it, but, what if the corners came with holes that did not line up perfectly? In the end, I think I got a better result doing them myself, even if it took time and effort. So, it all worked out. Here is how they came: Here is after I drilled in the flare holes: Flares on: J
After seeing the pics, I seem to remember you having a this in a thread.

What'd I'd most likely do is just mark through the fenders' holes and remove the corners to drill. I used that method when drilling the under tub holes for my sliders.

They look very nice, btw.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.