Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Painted rims - Before and After

100K views 140 replies 98 participants last post by  JPGoody 
#1 ·
Show off your painted rims. I just finished mine and I think they look SWEEEEEET!!!!

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

See less See more
#3 ·
That's really cool looking! I would post mine, but they are just the stock steelies, and I haven't painted them yet. They are brown right now, I'm painting them black. . .

#11 ·
Yea I have similar wheels and have been thinking about doing mine as well. But I never have 2 days off in a row to get it done. :laugh: Did you use duplicolor wheel paint? how many cans did it take you? Clear coat too? Looks great by the way!
I used Rustoleum Professional Spray Gloss Black. 2 cans for 5 wheels. I sanded with 60 grit only cause thats all I had laying around at the time. No primer. I've had better luck with adhesion not using a primer. I did about 6 medium coats per wheel. I HIGHLY recommend the Pro paint versus the cheaper ones. You will definitely notice the difference:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Yea I have similar wheels and have been thinking about doing mine as well. But I never have 2 days off in a row to get it done. :laugh: Did you use duplicolor wheel paint? how many cans did it take you? Clear coat too? Looks great by the way!

#28 ·
I cleaned them up really good then sanded them down with some fine grit sandpaper. Then cleaned off any dust and dirt from the sanding. Sprayed them with a couple coats of light primer. Once that dried I sprayed the edges of the rim with a couple coats of high temp green engine paint (don't remember the maker but it was a advanced auto parts). Let that dry then taped of the edge of the wheel that I wanted to remain green. Once everything was taped spray 4 or 5 coats of high temp semi gloss engine paint (black). Make sure you allow about 15 mins to dry between coats (**Note: I did this on a warm day so you may need to wait longer if its cool outside). Once the wheel was covered well with the black paint and dried I pulled the tape off and hit the wheels with 3 or 4 coats of clear coat. Biggest thing to remember is not to spray to closely to avoid running and allow enough time for everything to dry. I did this on a warm day and used a heat gun to help with some of the drying. Took me about 2 days total to complete and about $50 or $60 bucks for spray paint at local parts store. Also they have held up amazingly!!

#33 ·
Ugh, I don't like wheels like those where they have a flat look to them, I prefer the deep-dish look.

Anywho here's mine:
Before:

Of course they weren't this clean or shiny when I painted them, but I don't have any before pics on my computer of the actual wheels.

After:

Two coats primer, three coats black (I believe Rustoleum brand), two coats clear.

#35 ·
I painted mine the other day. I used Krylon Fusion satin black and it looks really good. All I did was pulled the wheels off, scuffed them up a bit, then painted several coats of paint. The paint has held up well on my bumpers, plus, it's an easy fix to touch them up if they do get scratched. Let me know what you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.