No tailgate spare tire mount - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > No tailgate spare tire mount

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
TJsjeeptj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No tailgate spare tire mount

Wondering if anyone has removed their tailgate and mounted their spare half in the cab half out. I got the idea from the EVO jk. Here's an example of what I am looking for.

image-1317217901.jpg

TJsjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #2
vcallen7
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That looks pretty expensive. And I'm not sure you actually gain anything from it. It looks cool but... Why spend the money on it?
vcallen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
TJsjeeptj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcallen7
That looks pretty expensive. And I'm not sure you actually gain anything from it. It looks cool but... Why spend the money on it?
Haha yeah it does look pretty expensive but I was thinking about maybe trying to fab one up. It is true that you don't gain anything from it it actually just takes away storage space.
TJsjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
tslroper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I could see it improving departure angle and keeping you from getting hung up on the spare when dropping off a ledge. I've done that before with my swing out.
tslroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
MattD_SLC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I know GenRight has a prerunner style mount of sorts that mounts the tire in the tub area. I'm pretty sure you would have to fab something up. Most companies are not going to develop and market an item that only a select few people are into running. It seems simple enough though. I personally would love to see one, so if you do make one please post it up!
MattD_SLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJsjeeptj View Post
Damn, that JK has $650 worth of backup lights on that tire carrier
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #7
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Damn, that JK has $650 worth of backup lights on that tire carrier
Don't you have the same in lights on your roof rack, let alone all the ones on the front bumper?

Looking for a set of dana 30 shafts for a TJ or XJ, stock and good condition. PM me if you have a set and willing to ship or are in LA.
dayriesw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Don't you have the same in lights on your roof rack, let alone all the ones on the front bumper?
Yep. I have 4 on the roof rack... the bumper lights are just factory fogs with yellow tint.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.