Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Monstaliner interiors and exteriors

920K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  BensonSTW 
#1 ·
ONLY POST PICS OR REQUESTS FOR PICS!!!!! Any application, not just jeeps.

Monstaliner QUESTIONS can be answered in this thread! - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-875162
More info and buy it here- http://www.monstaliner.com/

Please just post your-

Color

~Amount used for what you covered

Method of application (Rolled / Sprayed / Brushed)
please include
any primer
type of gun & thinner (if used)

&Pics

ONLY!

Here is mine to start
med grey quartz
1 gallon, entire TJ interior up to edges of tub
rolled

See less See more
#1,182 ·
Hey all, so I recently did my entire 2001 TJ. Had a question because I feel like I messed something up in the application. I believe that I rolled in on way to thin to begin with and only caught my mistake halfway through my last coat. Ended up doing almost 3 full coats and it came out with a lot of miss-texturing, some spots super thin and some areas in the smooth monster liner finish.

What I'm wondering is if I order another full gallon, and scuff up my current liner with something like 80 grit, and roll on a nice thick coat and do the lifting technique to get the nice aggressive texturing if it will fix and possibly hide all the miss-textures on my old coat.

I originally rolled in on in July, and since then I have a few chips and also some spots that have bubbled and pealed off the surface. Not sure why that happened. Also starting to crack off of the corners a bit, so I definitely did something wrong on my first attempt.

Also, I have another question regarding attaching decals to this stuff. Is it possible to do so after it has been fully cured or is it impossible because of the texture? The stickers that I have on mine I applied during the drying process of my original roll on and they adhered just fine. I've been using spray on adhesive to attach stickers recently and its held a little better, how can I get them to attach stronger?

Any help or suggestions for my plan would be great! Thanks!

#1,183 ·
Hey all, so I recently did my entire 2001 TJ. Had a question because I feel like I messed something up in the application. I believe that I rolled in on way to thin to begin with and only caught my mistake halfway through my last coat. Ended up doing almost 3 full coats and it came out with a lot of miss-texturing, some spots super thin and some areas in the smooth monster liner finish.

What I'm wondering is if I order another full gallon, and scuff up my current liner with something like 80 grit, and roll on a nice thick coat and do the lifting technique to get the nice aggressive texturing if it will fix and possibly hide all the miss-textures on my old coat.

I originally rolled in on in July, and since then I have a few chips and also some spots that have bubbled and pealed off the surface. Not sure why that happened. Also starting to crack off of the corners a bit, so I definitely did something wrong on my first attempt.

Also, I have another question regarding attaching decals to this stuff. Is it possible to do so after it has been fully cured or is it impossible because of the texture? The stickers that I have on mine I applied during the drying process of my original roll on and they adhered just fine. I've been using spray on adhesive to attach stickers recently and its held a little better, how can I get them to attach stronger?

Any help or suggestions for my plan would be great! Thanks!
I waited for mine to cure completely and made sure to clean the area, did a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol, and after setting the decals on used a soft ink brayer and a blow dryer to warm the decals and rolled them to set them into the texture before removing the transfer tape, then as i removed it I used the ink brayer to roll the edges of the decals as I lifted the transfer tape off. then did a once over with the brayer and blow dryer to completely set into the texture,medium to large air bubbles can be popped with a pin and rolled over, smaller ones will usually dissapate with time . They stuck amazingly well and very cleanly
I have a Jurassic Park Jeep so a large hood decal, side numbers, door JP logos and a new set of jeep logos had to go on. go back to page 75 or a little later and you will see my jeep. you cant miss it

#1,189 ·
update to my page 69 entry. now i have metal cloak rears on and did a quart kit on the 2 frame pieces

before

New REAR fenders

and yes, where i live, we surf with no wetsuits and drive through snow - TAKE THAT CALIFORNIA

and my co-workers maroon JK has a 2" budget boost and 35s and my YJ is taller with 33s and OME

#1,190 ·
So this is my Monstaliner install after 5 months.

When I did the install, I think I rolled it on way to thin. Now I have some major flaking, chipping, etc. Most of the corners and edges have started to lift from the vehicle (the red behind the black is from me testing out colors).

Anyways, I'm looking for any advice possible to help me fix this. I think it was from a mixture of improper coats, and not enough sanding in the edges.

Any advice? Hoping to get this fixed in the spring time so I can get my rig looking like it should! Thanks!

Attachments

#1,191 ·
It looks thick enough I think it was more poor prep. At this point I would use a scraper to remove everything loose, prep again, and re-apply. Any overlap onto the old liner will need prepping as well. Seeing this though makes me real happy I took all that time on the prep work. I also noticed you're in NH, so improper temperature application could also be a possibility. But since it was 5 months ago, so August or so, not as likely.

#1,217 ·
Love it. Good choice of color too. What did you use to spray it, and did you thin it out any? I sprayed my interior, and I like how it came out, but it is a much different finish than yours.

My interior is more of the typical bed liner texture. Then I used a single stage paint on the exterior. If I ever do another vehicle I'd think about trying to replicate exactly what you did.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.