Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Monstaliner interiors and exteriors

920K views 1K replies 294 participants last post by  BensonSTW 
#1 ·
ONLY POST PICS OR REQUESTS FOR PICS!!!!! Any application, not just jeeps.

Monstaliner QUESTIONS can be answered in this thread! - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/introducing-monstaliner-uv-permanent-diy-roll-bed-liner-875162
More info and buy it here- http://www.monstaliner.com/

Please just post your-

Color

~Amount used for what you covered

Method of application (Rolled / Sprayed / Brushed)
please include
any primer
type of gun & thinner (if used)

&Pics

ONLY!

Here is mine to start
med grey quartz
1 gallon, entire TJ interior up to edges of tub
rolled

See less See more
#395 ·
Here is the pre shots (sorry, not jeep related though. Other than I completed my jeep almost. Still have roll bar and fender flairs to finish)

Attachments

#408 ·
Joshharris98xj said:
I am waiting in this info to order, if I roll will I get the same finish as spraying? I don't want to tell it was rolled.(full exterior) answer ASAP please
I am not usually one to say "search" soi won't. However, I am not going to repost the plethora of photo comparisons on the very same issue.

Rolling will tend to give you a slightly more smooth dimpling. The texture is ot created the same as it is in most other bed liners. ML does ot utilize big pieces of rubber and such nonsense.

Please oh please do a search for the difference between the two. You can see it and folks say you can sure feel it.

I know that I am very very happy with my roll on.

#410 ·
Therios said:
I am not usually one to say "search" soi won't. However, I am not going to repost the plethora of photo comparisons on the very same issue.

Rolling will tend to give you a slightly more smooth dimpling. The texture is ot created the same as it is in most other bed liners. ML does ot utilize big pieces of rubber and such nonsense.

Please oh please do a search for the difference between the two. You can see it and folks say you can sure feel it.

I know that I am very very happy with my roll on.
magnetman said:
You will always have some imperfections when rolling. That said.. you will always have some imperfections when spraying

Look at pics to make a decision.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.272057796194040.65814.113295005403654&type=3/

Read write ups, here's a decent one on spraying
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/143002-monstaliner-write-up.html
I tried searching multiple times noone will specify but thanks for the answer. I am trying to avoid seeing "lines" when rolled I want a smooth coat so Im still not sure.

Ill check out hat write up, thanks again

#411 ·
'Lines' really aren't an issue, the rollers provided do a great job. Apply the product in one direction, roll it again 90 degrees from the first roll.. Keep working it until you get it evened out and the texture you like. The product goes on easy and is very forgiving. Make sure you have really good lighting so you can see any heavy spots and 'roll baby roll'!

#412 ·
Ya on the imperfections. But remember that this stuff is highly textured and goes on very thick anyway. I rolled mine on and was able to work it until I was happy with it. Please note that everyone says they have to touch up the spraying with rolling and a paintbrush anyway. That was the deciding factor in my head.

Ya, I tried the search too. It is hit and miss at best. My best recommendation on this most massive thread is to just scan for pictures. You really will just get the idea that all your worries and questions will just go away. No matter what I have seen here and done personally, they all look 500% better than anything else I have seen.

I will take some pictures of some of the other stuff that my friends have done. They had a hundred questions and worries. They bit the bullet and did ML over the other stuff after good prep and they are now happy.

I have a couple of places that I am not real happy with it nothing to do with prep or the way it was put on. But no one else in the world would notice.

Just another 2 cents

#413 ·
HDWrangler said:
'Lines' really aren't an issue, the rollers provided do a great job. Apply the product in one direction, roll it again 90 degrees from the first roll.. Keep working it until you get it evened out and the texture you like. The product goes on easy and is very forgiving. Make sure you have really good lighting so you can see any heavy spots and 'roll baby roll'!
Therios said:
Ya on the imperfections. But remember that this stuff is highly textured and goes on very thick anyway. I rolled mine on and was able to work it until I was happy with it. Please note that everyone says they have to touch up the spraying with rolling and a paintbrush anyway. That was the deciding factor in my head.

Ya, I tried the search too. It is hit and miss at best. My best recommendation on this most massive thread is to just scan for pictures. You really will just get the idea that all your worries and questions will just go away. No matter what I have seen here and done personally, they all look 500% better than anything else I have seen.

I will take some pictures of some of the other stuff that my friends have done. They had a hundred questions and worries. They bit the bullet and did ML over the other stuff after good prep and they are now happy.

I have a couple of places that I am not real happy with it nothing to do with prep or the way it was put on. But no one else in the world would notice.

Just another 2 cents
Thanks guys, my compressor has been giving me fits it wants to spit a little water even with 2 dryers on it so I would rather roll it on. I plan on thinning it a little also. Those pictures would be awesome.

#414 ·
In almost 5 years I've heard only 1 comment/complaint that someone had left roller marks they were unhappy with.
I honestly think he was drinking heavily and passed out before finishing the job :rofl:

It's very hard to screw this up. Having a 2nd person work with you as a gofer and a lookout for uneven areas make the process a lot easier.

Good lighting like Therios said is imperative to finding the spots you missed and may need to re-roll for evenness.

Never roll the 1st coat heavy. You want to see some "show through" of the surface below.
Spread the 1st coat well in attempt to conserve material for 2nd coat. Thinner 1st coat will dry faster and this is what you want.
These are all good examples of 1st coat appearance. Smurfadelic & Midnight Special here

Attachments

#415 ·
One of the top FAQs I get is
"How do I roll it and get less texture?"

The "Re-Roll" after the 2nd coat gets laid down and evened out is the key to getting more pronounced texture.
Simply avoiding the re-roll gives minimized texture. Re-rolling is done without adding more liner to the roller.
Anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes after the 2nd coat is rolled, the coating is starting to tack up.
Running the roller over the surface again will pick up and tighten the texture. Not re-rolling lets it lay down smoother.

All these pics were taken of the same rolling session I did. Some sheets got the re-roll, others did not. The results are dramatic as you can see.

First pic is Med Quartz Gray while still wet. All others are Black, dry the next day

Attachments

#417 ·
magnetman said:
In almost 5 years I've heard only 1 comment/complaint that someone had left roller marks they were unhappy with.
I honestly think he was drinking heavily and passed out before finishing the job :rofl:

It's very hard to screw this up. Having a 2nd person work with you as a gofer and a lookout for uneven areas make the process a lot easier.

Good lighting like Therios said is imperative to finding the spots you missed and may need to re-roll for evenness.

Never roll the 1st coat heavy. You want to see some "show through" of the surface below.
Spread the 1st coat well in attempt to conserve material for 2nd coat. Thinner 1st coat will dry faster and this is what you want.
These are all good examples of 1st coat appearance. Smurfadelic & Midnight Special here
magnetman said:
One of the top FAQs I get is
"How do I roll it and get less texture?"

The "Re-Roll" after the 2nd coat gets laid down and evened out is the key to getting more pronounced texture.
Simply avoiding the re-roll gives minimized texture. Re-rolling is done without adding more liner to the roller.
Anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes after the 2nd coat is rolled, the coating is starting to tack up.
Running the roller over the surface again will pick up and tighten the texture. Not re-rolling lets it lay down smoother.

All these pics were taken of the same rolling session I did. Some sheets got the re-roll, others did not. The results are dramatic as you can see.

First pic is Med Quartz Gray while still wet. All others are Black, dry the next day
Thank you for the tips, I believe ill jut go for it. I'll be ordering the 2 gallons of black to roll the exterior. Do we have a forum discount?

#418 ·
Promo till the end of the month, and it's such a sweet deal! ( look at magnetmans signature)
I'm ordering mine next Friday.

Plan on making a lower chip gaurd on my silveraldo, and clean up a little surface rust while I'm at it.

But that will be my testing ground.
I'm planning a Total mc coat for my tj. Grey floor, apocolapse orange tub with preditor green accents, it's going to look like a matchbox car :)
But since my jeep is my toy I enjoy with the kids, they will love the bright colors.

Orange body, green roll bar,hinges/headlight bezels, grill inserts, and nerf bars(to help the kids get in)
Think it will be to much?

#420 ·
Damn, yah that's about it, they look good together. But now that it has been done...... Back to the drawing board. You've seen so many, any combination that you have wanted to see, and haven't yet?

And how
Does it work on hinges? It doesn't gum them up to much? Should I remove and put back together? I plan on buying the gun and spraying, if that makes a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.