Matte Black/Flat Black Paintjobs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Matte Black/Flat Black Paintjobs?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
06SawaiaTJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Matte Black/Flat Black Paintjobs?

Just Curious

Preferrably TJs?

06SawaiaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #2
ZeroCool8891
1994 XJ Cherokee 

flat black looks good on anything i think lol.
ZeroCool8891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
jeppson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My question is. Any experience with a "real" flat back paint job from a professional paintshop? I am not asking about peoples home made stuff, I am considering getting my TJ painted flat black, so how does it look when there is dirt on, water or ect.. Anybody used a pro painter? And is it cheaper, I guess it is?

Thanks
jeppson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #4
newCJ7bie

My buddy's dad is a professional painter and on my 350z we were going to do a flat black roof but after looking into it is near impossible to turn out good....Aka when the additive is put in the paint n sprayed the job must be PERFECT or else when they go to fix a run or fish eye (oil or dirt spot) they will sand it and remove the "flat" finish and you will have a glossy spot also once you get a scratch your SOL bc there is no way to buff it out bc that would polish the paint and again leave a spot....so would actually be more expensive to do more up keep and just a pain in the @$$ I would try the route of flat black vinyl wrapping each panel it should be cheaper and if you get a scratch you just rip it off and cover it again and good as new!!! Enjoy let me know how it goes
newCJ7bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
HurricaneRZA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Flat/matte paint usually holds dirt/oils... Hence why most people wrap/rattle can.
[QUOTE=doublins;15539665]I always get people coming over and saying things like "I wish I knew how to do that," etc- but they don't realize- at some point I didn't know how to do it either- I had to figure it out.[/QUOTE]
HurricaneRZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

My brother-in-law's XJ:

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLYNER View Post
My brother-in-law's XJ:

i love the way that looks. ive always wanted to see what it looked like on an XJ. is it a wrap or matte paint? if paint, pro or rattle can?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Paint, pro = Maaco
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 10:56 AM   #9
loki_TJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeppson View Post
My question is. Any experience with a "real" flat back paint job from a professional paintshop? I am not asking about peoples home made stuff, I am considering getting my TJ painted flat black, so how does it look when there is dirt on, water or ect.. Anybody used a pro painter? And is it cheaper, I guess it is?

Thanks
I did a ton of research before getting the XJ sprayed by Maaco. Wrap prices were all over the place, but averaged around $1500 if I remember correctly. I think Maaco sprayed the XJ for $800 (I think, I have a horrible memory) which included pulling a decent sized dent out of a door, patching some cracks in the grill, etc.

The thing about this paint is that who ever makes it (call Maaco in Matthews, NC for more info) just came out with it. It's a revision to an old matte black kit and they made some changes. It doesn't hold grease (sap, dust, handprints) as easily anymore, which was a major issue with early matte black paints (this is me just relaying information I heard from a couple different paint guys).

Now with tube fenders:

Unread 10-29-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

looks awesome. how do you like the ORF quarter panel guards? im thinking of getting those

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
loki_TJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
looks awesome. how do you like the ORF quarter panel guards? im thinking of getting those
They are sharp. Basically exactly like JCR's but with the tube. If you can weld, I can't, you could buy JCR's and add the tube yourself to save some cash.
Unread 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
90xjlimited
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Just did mine over the weekend. Very budget minded. I own a contracting co. so I used on of our airless pumps and a gallon of PPG Industrial Fast Dry Alkyd Satin. Mixed about 5% penetrol, 10% mineral spirits, 85% paint. Fine finish tip 310. Not the best system for auto painting by any means. But it turned out well.

Unread 11-27-2011, 07:34 PM   #13
mbarros
2006 LJ Wrangler 

here's mine. got it done at a local shop...about $2,000
mbarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
mbarros
2006 LJ Wrangler 

mbarros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mbarros LJ just gave me a chubby....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.