Let's see where you work on your jeeps! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Let's see where you work on your jeeps!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-29-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by relgnarw

That first picture just gave me the chills, it is coming, and I'm preparing my Cherokee so I won't have to be wrenching on a piece of cardboard/carpet.
Yeah that was a few years ago putting my lift on. I had a "good" buddy who's family business has a nice shop with full lift and air tools promise me use of it then not answer my calls for days. That second pic is a heater trying to warm up frozen coil spring insulators that were too cold to come off. I was hot when I got done being cold.

4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
twiisted71

Peg boards are a must for all the crap you don't normally have a place for: C-clamps, Hacksaws, big pipewrenches, greaseguns, etc. Its also great to get a few of the ring bars for the dozens of screwdrivers, pliers, pry bars-you get the idea. also keep an eye out for stores closing. Those cheap looking thin steel shelf units they have everywhere are a lot stronger than you think and are great for power tools, bolt bins, cans of nails, all the BS you accumulate through a lifetime of honey-dos and garage sales-another great source of garage doo-dads.
I recently got tired of the wooden workbench that was in my garage when I bought the house and bought a section of pallet rack shelving and cut it down to 36" deep x 9' long x 7' high. These will hold anything you come up with provided you put strong enough shelfs on it. For my work surface I used 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with a 1/4" layer of hardwood plywood on top for a sacrificial surface. When its gouged up I can flip it over, use again, and then replace as needed. I bonded the 2 layers of 3/4" with HD wood glue. I have 2x6s about every 12-16" under the plywood. She's solid! I have an upper shelf to throw wood, pipe, long steel stock, etc and the area under the work top is big enough to roll my tool chest, rolling work table, stick welder, air compressor, etc under.
Getting your garage set up to suit your taste and needs takes a while. Don't go overboard in the beginning until you see what you really need and what you can fit. Don't forget a cheap radio and a GOOD fan. Remember to have fun with it-it will become your sanctuary!

I began with a "massive" 2 car garage!! I've never lived in a house with a garage-this was the best part of buying a home to me!!!

Here's a shot of the old workbench-it was fine, but the garage quickly filled-as they do. I needed a redesign to allow more usable space in the garage. I was tripping over myself, esp with a full-blown ground up Jeep build taking place. Diesel engine, 1 ton trans and TC, full-size axles and all the usual bits and pieces leave little floor space for the actual work to take place.

Here's a pic of the freshly completed shelf/workbench before the cluttering, staining, and gouging begins! Check out the difference 4 yrs of abuse has done to my shop-vac!

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #18
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
Yeah that was a few years ago putting my lift on. I had a "good" buddy who's family business has a nice shop with full lift and air tools promise me use of it then not answer my calls for days. That second pic is a heater trying to warm up frozen coil spring insulators that were too cold to come off. I was hot when I got done being cold.
LOL That's always the case. I'm glad I have a 2 1/2 car garage now. I store 3 Jeeps in it for the winter so I still don't have a great place to work on them when it gets cold out.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 07:16 AM   #19
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

In a buddies shop (spare building) across from work

But mostly in the backyard without a shop on a concrete pad where a shop was.

Pictures are in reverse chronological order and are 4 months aparts.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #20
zombiechief
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdude408 View Post
I finally cleaned my tiny garage out, because I don't want to work in the snow!
That's why I moved to Florida!
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #21
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This space is not quite a year old. The structure is 20 x 30 x 12. Installed a wood stove for the cold winters and a lift to make life a little bit easier.

senecak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Bigdude408
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecak19 View Post
This space is not quite a year old. The structure is 20 x 30 x 12. Installed a wood stove for the cold winters and a lift to make life a little bit easier.

Love the lift!! I'm thinking about restoring my fathers horse barn, concrete floor and a lift, it would make working on a car almost enjoyable.

I worked at a service station and the owner would let me use one of the lifts after hours. It was awesome!

How much did yours run ya?
Bigdude408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #23
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The lift is GregSmithEquipments: PV-10P. Link here:

http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/Atlas-PV-10P

I picked it up at one of their locations about an hour and a half from me (and in NH... tax free). So $2395 I believe was my OTD price. Of course this lift is overkill for any Jeep, but I have a truck that I wanted to account for.
senecak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #24
monsonman

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a couple of pictures of where I work on mine

image-2203411119.jpg

image-2007060262.jpg

image-1553696694.jpg
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #25
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

No recent pics, but I've got a nice sandy driveway that I have to put a piece of cardboard or plywood down when I get underneath....I once replaced an AC compressor on a '97 Mercury Cougar in that driveway.....Had to re-replace the orifice tube about 2 days later thanks to a brother in law who decided that dropping the replacement orifice tube in the sand wasn't THAT big of a deal LOL

I really need to get a shop built. There's a couple of pretty decent looking shops in this thread.
JeepNowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #26
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here's mine. Shabby old garage burned down a couple years ago (not my fault, fire started in neighbor's yard!). This was rebuilt on the old foundation as my personal space.
p1200811c.jpg  

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #27
dirtycruiser

2005 LJ Wrangler 

dirtycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #28
twiisted71

Monson, that shop should be laid on its side-you'd have more floor space! Are there plans to build a house or office spaces in the upper space?
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 11:56 AM   #29
monsonman

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Monson, that shop should be laid on its side-you'd have more floor space! Are there plans to build a house or office spaces in the upper space?
no to your question. the shop area is a small portion of the entire building. the rest of it is a man cave (bar w/ kitchen and upstairs loft) and a car showroom. there is a lot more space in the shop area than the pictures elude to, although when my dad built it, he probably didnt foresee there being 2 jeeps living in there haha

Unread 10-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #30
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't done any work in here yet....just closed last week. I did have the garage floor coated before we moved anything in . Should make for a more pleasant work surface.

Anxious to get things organized!

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.