Lets see some Unlimited LJs - Page 103 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Lets see some Unlimited LJs

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 03-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #1531
TMIB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the roof rack on:

TMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #1532
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockster View Post
excellent..........I'm off this week, If I'm felling better, you in for a break in run to Cleghorn?
When I get to feeling better we need to go wheeling. I know you could show me a lot of tips & tricks. And we could do some shooting
Unread 03-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #1533
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Just got my RC 4" lift installed. I also got my Swag tailgate conversion done.
jeep-lift-004.jpg   jeep-lift-006.jpg   jeep-lift-007.jpg  
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #1534
06UnlimitedTJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
How much lift did you net In Real Life????
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #1535
DocMojave
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
Nice, I like that Tail Gate conversion, I could actually sleep in my LJ if I had a gate that dropped down instead of swinging open.
Unread 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #1536
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06UnlimitedTJ View Post
How much lift did you net In Real Life????

It was 3" over the 2" poly lift. I guess it will settle a little over time.
Unread 03-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #1537
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMojave View Post
Nice, I like that Tail Gate conversion, I could actually sleep in my LJ if I had a gate that dropped down instead of swinging open.

Thanks, it is ok for now. The directions were a little sketchy. It might need a little tweaking.
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #1538
ih8pepl73
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIB View Post
Got the roof rack on:

I like that rack. Where and how much? I'm assuming you had to drill the side of the Jeep. Looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_TwStD_1 View Post
Procrastination's a lot like masturbation. It's all fun and games until you realize you're only screwing yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
The lines on half doors make extra sex compared to full doors
ih8pepl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:09 AM   #1539
TMIB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pepl73 View Post
I like that rack. Where and how much? I'm assuming you had to drill the side of the Jeep. Looks good.
It's a Garvin Wilderness rack, I bought it through 4WD:
Specialty Rack by Wilderness Accessories and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware $800.

It's made so you can open the sunrider panel on the LJ without messing with the rack. When you want to drop the soft top, you take out the three bolts on either side of the front, and one bolt on either side on the rear. The whole thing then tilts back (they include some tilt brackets you can use to secure it in the tilted position while you drop the top.)

Yes, you have to drill the Jeep, but the instructions are very clear about where this needs to be done, and I was able to do so with no problems.

Overall it's a well-engineered rack. It's nice and solid. The lower mounts in the rear fit between the body pucks and the body, using the frame mounting bolt as one of their mount points, but they go further in that the same mount plate is reinforced by a matching one inside the body that gets bolted through the body. (it sandwiches the body between the plates.)

Nearly all the plates & brackets are 1/4" steel. The front mounts where you drill through the frame are likewise well designed; a set of outside plates bolts through to an inside plate which is also bolted to the rollbar, through a factory bolt hole. The instructions claim that 200lbs is a safe load, but that seems extremely conservative to me. Seeing how this is built, I'd guess you could probably double that, though I don't know that I'd want to move my COG up that high.

My only complaints with the system are as follows:
1) the kit shorted me two crossbar brackets. I'll call Garvin today and see if they'll send them to me.

2) I'm not real enthused about having to remove the bolts in the back to tilt the top. Each has a nylon locknut on it, so you'd need to have two wrenches to pull it. I want it to be fast and easy. I ordered some fancy 3/8" x 1 1/2" pushbutton pins from McMaster-Carr that I think will eliminate this issue.

3) Garvin has their company name laser-cut into a plate in the back of the rack. It bugs me when companies do that (though I realize most do). If you want me to display your company name, pay me. When I pay you, I don't want your logo splashed across my vehicle.

The only problem I ran into when doing the install had nothing to do with the kit- I thought the bolts I needed to take out of the rollbar were T-50 Torx, but they are T-50 tamper-resistant Torx. I didn't have the right bit so had to go buy one. I got the first bolt out, but the second one was so tight the new bit broke off. (tamper-resistant Torx bits are inherently weak due to the hole in the middle) I had to get a second bit to finish the job.
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #1540
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMIB View Post
3)Garvin has their company name laser-cut into a plate in the back of the rack. It bugs me when companies do that (though I realize most do). If you want me to display your company name, pay me. When I pay you, I don't want your logo splashed across my vehicle.
I agree with you, especially when companies do it boldly. However I don't mind so much when it's done discreetly and modestly. Wonder how many more folks feel like we do?
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 11:25 AM   #1541
TMIB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
I agree with you, especially when companies do it boldly. However I don't mind so much when it's done discreetly and modestly. Wonder how many more folks feel like we do?
Yeah, a small stamp or logo is one thing. Looking like they are my sponsor is another. I've decided against purchasing items on several different vehicles over the years for this exact reason, particularly on motorcycles I've customized.

I'll probably put some kind of accessory over the Garvin logo on this one; a hi-lift mount or light bracket or something like that.
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM   #1542
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Teaser cell pic, sorry it's so tiny. More on the way!

Currie 4" SA, antirock, 33x12.5 Cooper stt's on 15x8 American racing chamber teflons.

Unread 03-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #1543
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_punk View Post
Teaser cell pic, sorry it's so tiny. More on the way!

Currie 4" SA, antirock, 33x12.5 Cooper stt's on 15x8 American racing chamber teflons.
Nice... did you use a spacer up front? I like the level stance.
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #1544
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nope. Currie HD rear springs to compensate for the extra weight of the LJ, and eventual rear bumper/tire carrier.
Unread 03-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #1545
mJUSTINm
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Here they are! Walkaround pics of the jeep..

And one of how far the tires stick out. Yes the flares are
getting painted soon!

Tags
lj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.