Home made rear stinger/fold down tire carriers. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Home made rear stinger/fold down tire carriers.

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have about decided that this one from genright might actually be what I'm looking for. I saw it yesterday on a jk and thought it was pretty cool and let's me keep the tire tucked all the up to the tailgate and leave it low.

image-3175018048.jpg

TechJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by try2holdmywheel
Here's the idea I've had in my head for quite a while now. Just took 2 min to throw it on paper. Take it easy on my drawing, I'm terrible at it. I'm also not claiming the drawing is even remotely close to scale or even proportionately accurate. It probably would be best to tie it into some armor or a cage, which is what I would plan on. I run heavy 37's, but maybe someone could get away with just a tub mount using a smaller/lighter tire/wheel combo. Also, I intentionally am having the upper tubes/supports horizontal, as I've noticed not many manufactures of rear stingers do this, so I can incorporate modular mounts for stuff like fuel cans or small storage. Unpin 1 and 2: fold down Unpin 1 and 3: swings to the passenger side Unpin 2 and 4: swings to the driver side Let me know what you think.
I think that would work. Getting everything to line up might be tricky but I think it would be plenty sturdy.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
try2holdmywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJeeper View Post
I think that would work. Getting everything to line up might be tricky but I think it would be plenty sturdy.
I'm not so sure it would be all that hard. A level and a plumb bob would be your friends. Personally, I think it would be much easier than fabbing a 4 link from scratch.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You'd have to level the jeep 100% if you use those tools to line everything up.
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #20
try2holdmywheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJeeper View Post
You'd have to level the jeep 100% if you use those tools to line everything up.
True. Once on stands, that shouldn't be all that hard to do, though. I suppose you could also use multiple hard points to measure and reference from.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.