Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hi Lift Jack Locations.

13K views 54 replies 34 participants last post by  angliagasser 
#1 ·
Hey everyone i just got me a hi Lift Jack, i am unsure where i want to mount it so please give some good ideas. Lets see what ya got

#7 ·
Mounted mine on the rear of the roll bars. Keeps it out of the elements. Get some exhaust clamps. Drill a hole in the flat steel. Run a grade 8 bolt through it, put wing nuts on so it's easy to remove the lift on the trails. I spent less than $10 on material. Or you can go to quadratec and buy the kit that is overpriced. I mounted mine low (like in the pic of this Jeep I found online) in case of a wreck the lift is behind the seat so no one would hit their head riding in the back seat.

#9 ·
Things are worthless and dangerous. I'd mount it back at the store where it came from. A bottle jack will work just fine. Just take a look at most peoples Hi-lift and you'll see they have never been used. I know of a few that have had their front teeth knocked out because of these damn things.

#12 ·
Sounds like your friends have poor situational awareness or don't fully understand how to manipulate that jack unlblkrubi. Incidences I believe to be preventable. Nonetheless, I've used my Hi-lift countless times, if even in the garage. I will caveat the frequent usage with "if you've never been stuck you've never been wheeling." So much so, I've repainted it. Antwon, don't put it on the hood. I fabbed up brackets to do so after asking this question awhile back and didn't like it. I'm a hard*** Marine and I found it awkward to manipulate. With the weight of the jack I was trying hard not to scratch the heck out of my hood/windshield and was worried about dropping it and smashing my Jeep altogether. Moreover, reviews about other mounts will tell you they block the sprayer nozzle for your wipers nearly completely. I'm hitting the trails again and am following -jb- and his idea. It keeps the jack out of the weather and out of the way. If I absolutely am in dire need of it I can get it without exiting my TJ. I bought u-bolts, wing nuts, and made my own strap and it sits just below the profile of the seat and I still have what little room was already there. Ultimately, you only learn one way and it's personal preference. Best of luck on your choice.

#15 ·
Sounds like your friends have poor situational awareness or don't fully understand how to manipulate that jack unlblkrubi. Incidences I believe to be preventable..........
x2
Ive used mine a handful of times for a variety of uses. Most werent even vehicle related. No one died. Theyre not meant to be used when changing tires or working on your vehicle where a bottle jack or floor jack would be used. As long as you use it properly, they are not dangerous.

The few that have lost their front teeth using one must have been knocked in the head a few times before. Why would you put your face in the swing of the handle:cheers:

I do have mine on the hood though. While I dont have any problems taking it off or on, I can see where some might. And Mine doesnt block the windshield squirters either. However, I do plan on moving it to the rear bumper in the future

Attachments

#17 ·
Bottle jacks and floor jacks work good on the side of the road or in your garage but not were my CJ goes. No one in a off-road situation (not even passengers or by-standers) are exempt from common sense or good safety practices. Accidents do happen but one has better odds to when using both common sense and good safety practices. OP, keep your hi-lift, use it often and mount it safely.

cjlinn, I am shamelessly stealing your phrase "situational awareness", it fits a lot of things in life.

Cheers!
WSS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.