hard top painting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
hard top painting

anyone have any before and after pics of their hardtop after painting

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 Old 01-16-2007, 06:32 PM
[I'm That Good]
I plan to Herc mine this summer I think... It's spice and I have some tan Bestop upper doors to seal... They don't exactly match up, but I think some herc will fix that right up.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-16-2007, 07:08 PM
this is what i plan on doing to mine this summer

2000 Wrangler Sport.........SOLD click for old pics

1998 Pontiac Trans AM 6 speed
-1 of 336 blue green chameleon cars every produced
-408 rwhp 423 rwtq....bolt-ons and a nice cam
post #4 of 6 Old 06-10-2016, 11:16 PM
2003 TJ Wrangler 
second picture is when i brought it and then i painted the top black with rustoleum bed liner sorry that the second picture is hard to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
post #5 of 6 Old 06-11-2016, 10:54 AM
1998 TJ Wrangler 
I was going to paint mine then after looking around and talking to a some people I found out about Penatrol, figured I will give it a try before I go the painting route. If I get a good day tomorrow I am finally going to get around to trying it, mine is rather faded and while it's not painting if your looking to just freshen it up and are interested in results I can do a before and after.

**EDIT** - Weather wasn't that favorable so I started late Sunday, and ended up moving to the garage. While I can't find to much about the process on the web I have sort of made up a detailed how to (of how I did it) if it interests you. While it does take a bit of time, the results are beyond anything I expected it looks close to showroom new. I have to get to 25 posts though apparently before I can post pictures for some reason so I will post results ASAP. I've been a reader of the forum for years I just never really jumped into posting.

Last edited by Cowboykiller; 06-16-2016 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Update
post #6 of 6 Old 09-13-2016, 09:53 PM
I used Rustoleum enamel Gloss Almond to paint the top of an all black CJ7 hardtop to cut down on the heat. It comes in spray cans and quarts (idk about other sizes). I used the quart size and a roller to apply. Naturally I did proper prep work and it came out excellent. You can get it most anywhere and in any color, its enamel so its tough, and it was CHEAP! $15-17 IIRC. No overspray to contend with, no finger cramps from spray can fatigue, no problem trying to get paint to come out of a can you are holding horizontal to paint the roof, and clean up required nothing more than removing a strip of tape and knocking the roller off in the trashcan! No masking paper, no paint thinner to clean my hands, didn't have to gather up 5-6 empty aerosol spray cans + none of that Ozone lilling stuff that comes from spray cans (if you believe Al Gore).

Sorry I don't have a pic of that top, but when I get around to painting my Scrambler full length top it will be getting the same treatment.

I did this 1/2 cab recently. I first sprayed it with fine sand textured paint found at Ace and then rolled it with Rustoleum Satin Black. Came out incredible. It flattened out and lost a little of the shine and the "lines" visible across the top blended in perfectly once dry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.