Ham Radios in Jeeps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Ham Radios in Jeeps

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
mclovinal
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ham Radios in Jeeps

I'm thinking about getting my ticket soon, and was curious how people have ham equipment mounted in their Jeeps. Also if you could give me some specs on things like how far you can reach and how much you spent... I'm fairly certain I have seen a few people on here with ham radios.

Unread 05-18-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

Go for it! It is a lot of fun. You think Jeeps are expensive............LOL

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Have my ticket! Radio going in jeep soon! 2 meter! KK4QMJ
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have Yaesu 7900 2m/440 radio that I will be putting in the JK. I still need to pick an antenna and a mount for it. Nice thing with that radio is it has a control head that can be separated from the radio and mounted separately for a lot of flexibility in mounting locations. Distance is based on line of site or bouncing off repeaters so a few miles to around the world, studying for your ticket will teach you all of this. Think of it this way a CB transmits with 4 watts of power my 7900 will transmit at 50 watts. a 7900 is 300 bucks but you can get 2m only radios for half that and a good antenna and mount is another 100.

Get your ticket, well worth it.

W4TFB - Whiskey 4 The Filthy Beast

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
bcash616
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am ordering the Diamond K400c today. Actually MFJ has a comparable one with a longer coax and half the price.
bcash616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #6
WSS
Web Wheeler
1972 CJ5 

I have a handheld that puts out 5w and on certain linked repeater systems, I can talk through most of Az and so Cal. The radio shown in the Tuffy console is a tri-band and can duplex on separate bands. If I place myself on a hilltop and duplex the radio, low altitude radios can use mine as a repeater and reach other radio out of their line of site.

Repeater systems can be fun, some allow phone patch and link ups with other repeaters. When you join a system, the controller will give you a set of codes to do all this. Simplex communication (same channel, no repeater) has it's own fun challenges too. Getting up high in your rig is half the fun. Different antennas and types are fun to experiment with. I used to carry a yagi (directional) with me to see if I could reach my Grandfathers station from different mountain tops. I hit him with good clarity at over 200 miles once.

Lots of fun!

KF6KIH
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.