Ground Pounder Fab bumpers - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Ground Pounder Fab bumpers

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #61
tcoche
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ok these bumpers are bad@ss!! I want in. How would one order a rear tire carrier/bumper???

Hey besrk, are the tow hooks and tow hitch passed completely through the bumper and welded front to back???

tcoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #62
BYuen
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I'll tell ya... I'd like to thank everyone for posting pics. A couple days ago, my PC stopped working (as in, it won't boot up when I turn it on). Anyhow.. I never thought about backing up all my photos to my external hard drive.. Now, I have to turn the computer in to a shop and hope they are able to fix it or at least extract all my pics and my bumper work orders (at least I printed out my worklist the day before the PC died).

Anyhow.. I was able to browse thru this thread and download all the pics to my laptop so I'll at least have a few pics to show folks when they ask for pictures.. You guys saved my buttocks!!!
Sorry to hear that Eddie. You shouldn't be too short on pics that you can find online. You've got that HUGE build/follow along thread Not to mention I'm sure all of us wouldn't mind sending in extra pics of bumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoche View Post
Ok these bumpers are bad@ss!! I want in. How would one order a rear tire carrier/bumper???

Hey besrk, are the tow hooks and tow hitch passed completely through the bumper and welded front to back???
Yup they sure are!
BYuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #63
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These look like a great product but i'm gonna wait till christmas or february and hope Savvys Tub-Mounted Tire Carrier is released and go with a drop-down tailgate woot woot.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #64
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i really like eddies work. pm sent. i really want one. hopefully i will be able to get it before i go on a wheeling/camping trip in october.
Unread 10-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #65
robert1973
1977 CJ7 

Yeah, i'd love more info on getting a bumper made, one of the ones in a earlier pic is exactly what i have been looking for in design!
Unread 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #66
epeck87
2000 TJ Wrangler 

he has made a few very nice improvements since the early ones he made
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #67
t4halo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I love mine and Eddie is awesome to deal with.

T4
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #68
andrez109
2006 TJ Wrangler 

how are you guys painting these bumpers? was thinking of taking mine to get powdercoated, but im just not sure....any suggestions?
andrez109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #69
Pacifier
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Don't waste your time and money getting them powder coated, get a can of spray on bedliner and call it a day, cost around $8.

[url]WWW.DIEGOSDEALS.COM[/url]
BUY, SALE & TRADE ANYTHING 4x4
Pacifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #70
bods7
1983 CJ7 

Winch mount

How much was the winch mount option on the front bumper?
bods7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #71
Jay12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bods7
How much was the winch mount option on the front bumper?
That is part of his standard price. No added cost
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #72
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Pics of a GP Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, all options

I'm posting this for a couple reasons. There is a lot of interest in this forum (including myself) on these bumpers and how they can be configured and what they look like set up. The second is to relate the experience I had working with Eddie (another forum member) during my build.

For background I needed a Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier on a '03 TJ. I wanted basically a full configuration, along with some customizations. I looked around and did comparisons for a number of weeks before deciding on GroundPounder Fab and their offerings. The below is what I ordered:

Standard Options:
- Rear bumper w/ tire carrier (inc. 2" hitch)
- Frame Tie ins
- Lower corner protectors
- Antenna mount
- Shackle / Clevis mount points

Custom Options:
- Gas can mounts (I didn't want the Blitz setup, so I found true Jerry cans and a lockable carrier which I shipped directly to Eddie for configuration)
- Axe / shovel mount
- Pair of Light tabs for my rear fog lamps

When I got the items unboxed here's what they looked like (minus the lower bumper portion, cause I got too excited and started painting it elsewhere). I've labeled the main parts for reference.

I did the recommendation of doing a pre-mount to ensure fit, as well as to mark the 4 additional holes recommended to be drilled in the frame aft of the gas tank for maximum tow support. I then degreased all the parts (do this right, you need a good base for your paint). Being from farm country I opted for an oilbased 'tractor paint' that I foam brushed a couple coats on. Not as pretty as rattle can, but certainly durable and IMO a lot easier to maintain when it gets gouged and scratched (which it will). After a couple days cure time I did the assembly.

Here are some perspectives of the full setup without any peripherals to see what it looks like.

Once done I started adding in my accessories (fog lights, jerry cans, shovel / axe mounts, shackles, etc). Here's what it then looks like:

See next post for my thoughts on the ordering process and build quality.

Last edited by drandersoninc; 10-14-2013 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: Pics readded
drandersoninc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #73
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Continued

When I did my assessment, Eddie's Ground Pounder Fab option looked like the most promising for what I wanted to balanced with build quality and cost. Still I was hesitant, making a purchase of this size based solely on the recommendations in the forums. And to give a spoiler, I am thrilled I did.

I contacted Eddie via PM and started the initial discussions / quote process. We exchanged a number of these narrowing down options, discussing the customizations and how to integrate them. Eddie was always extremely timely in his responses, his perspectives well conceived and engineered. With his guidance we came to a finalization on how to put everything together and I was given a 6 week completion date. Right from the offset I was already impressed with Eddie and how he did business.

During the build Eddie dropped me a line every now and then with updates or additional clarifications. When completed he sent me another update with the tracking numbers. When the packages arrived everything was packaged very securely and with good care. I unwrapped all the items and did a check against the expected list, no issues.

During pre-fit and degreasing I was able to see the quality of the construction, and the thoughtful consideration of the engineering aspects. The bumper is heavy and solid, the welds are clean and complete. The bolt hole aligments were spot on, the instructions on assembly clear enough to follow, material quality excellent (grade 8 bolts, etc). Once I got this on it became apparent that the frame is going get pulled off before this bumper does.

I can't say enough on how happy I am with Eddie and how this turned out. The build quality is excellent, the customizations better than I had originally envisioned in my head, and working with Eddie has been fantastic. I'd love to work with him in the future, possibly for some body armor, and anything else I might need that he builds given how well this went. Highest recommendation if anyone is one the fence thinking about this, you can't go wrong!
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #74
armyjeep85
1985 CJ7 

those are definitely some good looking bumpers!!!
has my attention and interest in getting one!!
one question though.. has anyone actually used the reciever to tow
anything yet? is it actually rated for towing of any sorts?
armyjeep85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #75
drandersoninc

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can give you a perspective. Although I have yet to tow anything with it I will have no qualms in doing so. To put this on I had to remove my existing 2" hitch, highest tow rating possible for a TJ with a receiver that size. I trailored everything up to a 24' cuddy cabin boat with that hitch.

That hitch had a total of 12 bolt points to the frame and used effectively a frame tie in that attached forward on both the passenger and driver side of the frame. Eddie's bumper, when attached as the instructions direct, have that same number of attachment points (using the recommended Frame Tie Ins) with Grade 8 hardware (crazy break strength) to hold them on. To me, it's absolutely no different in capability and actually at a better pull angle (directly at frame level vs my old hitch which was slightly below frame level).

So while I can't say definitively through experience, looking at all the details I would be extremely surprised if this can't pull what you throw at it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.