Gas tank Lift, 5" or more YJ or Cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Gas tank Lift, 5" or more YJ or Cj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Gas tank Lift, 5" or more YJ or Cj

Hey everyone, im looking for pictures of jeeps that have had the gas tank lifted through the rear floor and boxed in. any help is appreciated!

1989 YJ Candy apple Green, D30front, 8.8rear, 4:10's, Lock right front, 4"RC springs rear, 3.5"BDS springs front, SYE with double cardian shaft custom made, home made rockers, 33" goodyear mtr/k, smittybilt stinger, home made light bar, marine stereo, cobreau baja jp seats
JakeMurray24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im really the only one thinking about this here?
1989 YJ Candy apple Green, D30front, 8.8rear, 4:10's, Lock right front, 4"RC springs rear, 3.5"BDS springs front, SYE with double cardian shaft custom made, home made rockers, 33" goodyear mtr/k, smittybilt stinger, home made light bar, marine stereo, cobreau baja jp seats
Unread 02-13-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking about it, but:

I have a TJ
I haven't done it
I have no pictures

Real Jeeps are built, not "bolt-on"!
hoovail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
GregStephens2
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just thinking out loud, why not just add a fuel cell in the back of the jeep.

To me it's a cost vs time, cost and labor thing.

But to each their own.
Unread 02-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStephens2 View Post
...why not just add a fuel cell in the back of the jeep...
Depending on which one you go with, they can take up a bunch of room. Doing it this way would basically raise the floor 5" or so. You'd still be able to utilize the already small storage area.

I don't know from experience, but I have heard you can smell fuel with a fuel cell. Mine is my DD so that doesn't sound appealing.

Also, it's not as common as a fuel cell. I personally think custom mods like this are what makes a Jeep cool.

Unread 02-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

why not run either one of the gen right tanks. gives you a lot more room in the rear for a longer wheel base and bolts into the factory location
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
hoovail
2001 TJ Wrangler 

∆∆
I'm at 100" with my Gen Right. It's much better than a stock tank, but I still like the idea of raising it a few inches. More ground clearance is always better offroad, and it would be a fun project!

Unread 02-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #8
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm running a 1" body lift with my Genright fuel tank. There appears to be about a 2"+ gap between the bottom of the tub and the top of the tank. I've been thinking about chopping the skid up some and raising it up as much as possible. Sorry for the thread jack...just thinking along the same lines.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have looked up pretty much everything regarding fuel cell's genrights and the such.

what I have found is that fuel cells are not dot approved and are not quite the safest.
the genright tank does look like an awesome tank but I dont have the money for that.

So I have to replace my rotted rear frame and cross member anyways the tank must drop.
the rear floor is in not so good shape with a few holes rusting through
i know this has been done and by doing this all i need to do is move the front cross member make a new floor about 5-6" higher than stock. I will at this time make some kind of under seat storage for when i have the rear seat in for friends. currently i havent had the back seat in for over a year so i dont see much an issue

I will post up when i start building this contraption but in the meantime

lets find some pics!
Unread 02-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

found something in my search http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...ank-lift-on-YJ
Unread 02-14-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeMurray24 View Post
That is amazing!!!
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #12
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm running a 1" body lift with my Genright fuel tank. There appears to be about a 2"+ gap between the bottom of the tub and the top of the tank. I've been thinking about chopping the skid up some and raising it up as much as possible. Sorry for the thread jack...just thinking along the same lines.
I raised up my yj comp tank about 2.5" with a 1" body lift. Just cut the bottom of the rear crossmember and welded on a piece of guesseted angle with bolts welded in it to match the skid. For the front I welded some shock tabs to the frame and tank. It should hold up to some abuse and only hangs down from the frame 3.5" instead of almost 6".
Unread 03-06-2012, 04:15 AM   #13
Mellor

Also, it's not as common as a fuel cell. I personally think custom mods like this are what makes a Jeep cool.
Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, as I said, I have completed the modifications! My frame got so bad it was almost un-drivable but she made it to my buddies shop to go under the knife!

we replaced the back half of the frame with one from a buddies yj that had already had this surgery performed, and proceeded to lift the tank about 6" into the bed of my jeep. I took some pictures along the way in case anyone else would like to try this.

To start off I picked up some new floor material, and welded up a frame the way I thought it was going to go but we went a different route later on.

Next I rolled her into my buddies shop at around 11pm and we dropped the tank, had some beers and called it a night.

The next morning I took some rot shots for memories!

From there the rear floor was chopped out completely, the rear inner fenders were cut and the old frame was hacked off!

From there, we tacked in the new rear frame section, with some ratchet strap persuasion. I'm not too sure what happened to the picture taker from here out but basically we used the stock gas tank skid, put the rear lip up into the tub, made a new 2x2x3/16ths crossmember in the front of the tank and fish plated the inside and outside of the frame. New soft gas lines were run to the tank, and the fuel filler was relocated to the tj location (still not sure i like this, but there was no other way). the filler tube was crafted out of Fierro filler tubes and some conduit. the gas tank was boxed in with some new sheet and welded into place, the top cover for the tank is removable for gas tank access.

Unread 12-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #15
JakeMurray24
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mods, If you could move this to the Yj tech section it would be appreciated!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.