garage workbenches - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-12-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
alecmcmahon

garage workbenches

going to be building a workbench in my garage ( well, what limited space i have, stupid one car garage ) and would like to get some cool ideas before i start the build.

doing the basic 2x4/Plywood setup, in an L... lets see what you got.

Last edited by alecmcmahon; 04-12-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
MC_NickP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

not to hijack OP but how are those 33's with the 4.56's on the 2.5L? i read a post somewhere from you that said you recently jumped up from 32's.

Black 98 TJ
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #178

build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-12-2009, 05:46 PM
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i for the love of life couldnt figure out what to do for a workbench, lowes sells workbenches but they come to over $500 by the time you buy everything, then one day i waslking around and found a metal rack/shelving unit. it works perfect for my needs, i have storage up top and underneath, then use the middle shelf as my work bench
Attached Thumbnails
!cid__0314091041a.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
alecmcmahon

bump

10char
post #5 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
puggles

The cabinet that has the Summit stickers on it came from an old laundrymat. I found and old Kitchen counter top that was in good shape for $20.00 and bought it, trimmed it down to shape, reinforced the cabinet on the inside and put the top on. Couldn't be happier

Angie
post #6 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
SeanCucf
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Only picture I have hosted online. 2x4's butted up against each other. Super strong. I copied my grandfathers (which my father has), it's indestructible (cept termites I guess) and VERY old. It's in a 8ft x 16ft shed and fits well.

post #7 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 PM
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Work bench... garage? This is in my apartment I was renting...

Since it was in my room, I put my TV on it and hooked up my laptop with a wireless mouse and key board so I could look stuff up while working on the bench.

During the 4:1 install:

(my room never smelled the same again).

Now that I have a house, I have a small 10 shed I will be building a work bench, shelves, and moving all my tools down.

I also have the Craftsman tool box with a small bench top on it. I do like it, with the new house I plan on using that box to be able to roll in and out of the shed to hold tools and parts I will be using on the driveway.

Michael Ferrari
Team 120 - DOR Racing - Racing for Operation Homefront
Operation Homefront (OHF) provides emergency financial and other assistance to the families of our service members and wounded warriors.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
post #8 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM
dilbertbert
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went to a local cabinet shop and they gave me some kitchen counter tops that they could not use, made a good workbench top, framed the rest out of 2x4's

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.

Christian Jeep Group Member #143
post #9 of 19 Old 04-13-2009, 09:33 PM
Pumbaa
2008 WK 

I like the 2x4s. Solid like a butchers block. But cover it with Formica so oil and whatnot doesn't soak in. Formica is cheap. Or, if money is not so much an object, cover it in a sheet of aluminum. You could also buy a giant L shape Formica counter top for a decent price at a home store. Put that on a solid 2x4 frame. For cabinets, find somebody that is going to replace theirs and offer to take them away. The color is irrelevant, that's what paint is for. Keep what you want, landfill the rest.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 02:55 PM
itsnotmyjeep

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Here is mine. I am tall, so I made it tall, so I wouldn't have to bend over all the time.
I work at a fab shop, so I got the 1/4" steel free.
Trying to figure out how to paint it and never did a splatter paint, so started slinging the brush.

this space for rent
post #11 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 04:02 PM
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man this thread really makes me want to get my shop in shape,dont have any electric yet(over a year).Then I need to get some benches,music and a crap load more tools.Its a 10x20 that I only keep my tools,mower etc in.So I got plenty of room just not sure how I want my bench yet.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 04:21 PM
03rubicon35s
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i also had the same problem.. small one car garage so i just heading down to the local lowes and picked up some 2x4's and two 3' by 5 1/2' foot half inch plywood and four heavy duty caster wheels cost i think came to like 50 bucks altogether and made my own with the wheels on the bottom so i can move it around to were i need it most and it works great!! i put the plywood on top for the working surface and the other near the bottom for storage and reenforcment of the legs.. then took some ol garage floor epoxy that i had left and rolled it onto the top and it makes a great work platform and in my opinion cost a hella lot less than those small ones you get from craftsman..
post #13 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

in your local area, see if you can find auctions or liquidations from closed companies, warehouses or local high school left-overs. you can usually find very nice, industrial strength stuff for literally pennies. nobody goes to these events except people looking for start-up company furniture, so you may be able to find an industrial lab type bench for $1. I've worked for two companies now that just throw furniture out (and associated equipment) when the project that required that bench was completed.

what I did in my tiny 1 car garage was get a big MDF board and 2 sawhorses. i keep it folded up against the wall normally, only bring it out when i need it.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #14 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Apex
Recon death squad

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Well now I know what my next project is

Silver 02 TJ Apex Edition. SOLD

Current vehicles: 06 F250 Superduty - 6.0L PSD Straight piped and tuned
03 CBR600RR -1 +2, Yoshi'd & Battlaxed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddisi View Post
Finesse in crawling looks way cooler than momentum.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-14-2009, 07:39 PM
onlyinayj89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

only pic I have of it.I didn't make it, but it was in the garage that came with the house we're renting. Its solid and works good for me right now, of course when i get out of college and get my own place down the road, I have my own plans in mind.
[IMG][/IMG]

Team: Castaway Crawlers #714 @CastawayCrawlers

WEROCK: Sportsman class
RCROCS: Stock class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.