Garage paint jobs!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Garage paint jobs!!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #46
busdrvr320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I will take a photo of the texture in the morning. Thanks for the feedback. The prep was the hardest. I sprayed the liner and Monstaliner had matching paint for the dash.

Unread 02-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #47
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Done a few years ago. Going to paint another CJ this summer. Things I'm gonna do different this time. Better body work to avoid the fish-eyes. I'm gonna paint the front fenders off the jeep so I can get between the seams real well. Going to heat the garage more with an axillary heater, since I need to vent the garage to outside and the best you can hope for here in AK is upper 60s temp-wise.

I painted a VW since this silver jeep and did a single stage - not gonna do that again. Basecoat/clear like on this silver jeep turned out much more durable.
5413_1108948639719_7317150_n.jpg

9730_1125675057869_6423590_n.jpg

'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:07 PM   #48
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

looks nice
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #49
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheer4beer View Post
I went the Monstaliner path also. I was originally going to do House of Kolor Tangelo. I added up the costs, threw in the fact that its a Jeep that I want to take in the woods and I have high school drivers. I immediately decided that it would be a waste of money to tear up the paint when Monstaliner could take the abuse and was easy to repair. I would not have to get mad at the kids for scratching the paint.
You're telling me that that is Monstaliner on the outside??? If it is, that looks phenomenal! Please tell me more about it, (for use as an exterior body coat). I was planning on doing the inside of the tub with Monstaliner in black. I've been mulling over what to do on the exterior once my rebuild is complete. My rebuild is being done to eliminate rot and make the ride safe again, not to create a showroom resto. It is a Jeep, so I wasn't going to go nuts with paint. I'm not much of a paint guy, but I've been debating spray can, buy a cheap gun, paint whole, paint in pieces, etc... The only thing I know for sure is that it's going to be orange and black, (no chrome). I never considered Monstaliner on the outside! If that is orange Monstaliner on your rig can you tell me all about it? Does it look cheesy? It looks awesome in the pics but what about in person? No regrets? Would do it again if had the choice? Did you do it in pieces? Whole? Does bare metal need to be primed first? Can you PM me step by step insructions? Lol, just kidding. Any tips/tricks/experienced info would be great man. Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #50
busdrvr320
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have a couple of questions about the Jeep. I am currently trying dig myself out of 18 inches of snow. I will post more tonight during the next break. I think I have more shots of the process that I went through.
Unread 02-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #51
jforse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unread 02-13-2014, 03:13 PM   #52
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jforse View Post

Your avatar is distracting!

Any close up of the color - looks mean!
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #53
Icheer4beer

Yes, its orange Monstaliner on the outside and gray on the inside. I went gray because I didn't think I would want to be in a black tub in the summer with the top off. I think it looks pretty good. My teenage daughter likes it and she is doesn't lie to me. She is currently embarrassed to drive it because I have the hard top on it and I haven't painted it yet. It is still the Sahara green. Most people are surprised that its bedliner. I wanted it to look good and be able to wash it off with a brush and hose and not worry about scratches from tree limbs. I took it down to the tub/frame and either blasted it, wire wheeled it or sanded. All the rust I could find is gone. The inside of the frame is clean and treated. Monstaliner sticks to everything but bare metal. That has to be primed. You don't have to be super critical with sanding prep. I never went higher than 120 and you can't see any signs of swirls or filler. I fixed couple of rust bubbles. It took longer than I expected because I took everything apart.

I sprayed everything because I am lazy and had no desire to roll out the paint.

I let my son spray the primer, not the liner.

Here are a couple of more shots. Maybe I should do a build thread.
2013-04-24-15.03.44-1.jpg   2013-04-20-17.35.12.jpg   20130424_112022.jpg   20130523_135331.jpg   2013-09-09-08.25.10.jpg  

2013-10-07-07.58.48-1.jpg   20130423_101020.jpg   20131004_152430.jpg   20131004_185131.jpg  
Icheer4beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:45 PM   #54
bigmike53
2002 WJ 

I have done a few garage paint jobs on a couple jeeps. These are my projects
image-4188437838.jpg

image-3199560068.jpg

bigmike53 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 06:54 PM   #55
jforse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL
Your avatar is distracting! Any close up of the color - looks mean!
There are some more in my build thread.
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #56
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icheer4beer View Post
Yes, its orange Monstaliner on the outside and gray on the inside. I went gray because I didn't think I would want to be in a black tub in the summer with the top off. I think it looks pretty good. My teenage daughter likes it and she is doesn't lie to me. She is currently embarrassed to drive it because I have the hard top on it and I haven't painted it yet. It is still the Sahara green. Most people are surprised that its bedliner. I wanted it to look good and be able to wash it off with a brush and hose and not worry about scratches from tree limbs. I took it down to the tub/frame and either blasted it, wire wheeled it or sanded. All the rust I could find is gone. The inside of the frame is clean and treated. Monstaliner sticks to everything but bare metal. That has to be primed. You don't have to be super critical with sanding prep. I never went higher than 120 and you can't see any signs of swirls or filler. I fixed couple of rust bubbles. It took longer than I expected because I took everything apart.

I sprayed everything because I am lazy and had no desire to roll out the paint.

I let my son spray the primer, not the liner.

Here are a couple of more shots. Maybe I should do a build thread.
Thanks for the nice response. Yeah, I want black on the inside but it's been bugging me that it may not be comfortable in the summer. I have learned to run with the bikini top instead of no top as it keeps the sun off and more comfortable, but would the bikini top shelter it enough? Probably not. I will have to make a tough decision on that because if I do go the wiser route and roll the inside gray then I have to buy 3 different colors, Orange, Black, and Gray. I would probably use the orange and black just like you did. I like the top being black and that line following down the midpoint of the doors, (albeit your doors are half doors), but I think I could still pull it off on my full doors. All of this is probably sweating the small stuff to you, but I can tell you really are meticulous deep down judging by how nice your jeep came out, (even if the kids are the ones enjoying it). Well thanks a lot for the extra insight. If I was ready for paint I'd be ordering the Monstaliner right now. But since I'm about 2 months out now I have some time to figure out what color to paint the tub inside. The gray probably looks just fine if not really sharp. We'll see. Thanks again, it's nice to get exactly what you're looking for when you ask for it, even if it leads to more questions. By the way, nice job solving the terrible head unit location with your dash design. I swear, tuning the radio in these things is more dangerous than texting while driving.
Unread 02-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #57
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Your avatar is distracting!

Any close up of the color - looks mean!
That looks really good. Just getting rid of the chrome wheels makes a big difference; (for my taste).
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:00 AM   #58
YJjeeper90

What cage is that?
YJjeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 06:27 AM   #59
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz
Thanks for the nice response. Yeah, I want black on the inside but it's been bugging me that it may not be comfortable in the summer. I have learned to run with the bikini top instead of no top as it keeps the sun off and more comfortable, but would the bikini top shelter it enough? Probably not. I will have to make a tough decision on that because if I do go the wiser route and roll the inside gray then I have to buy 3 different colors, Orange, Black, and Gray. I would probably use the orange and black just like you did. I like the top being black and that line following down the midpoint of the doors, (albeit your doors are half doors), but I think I could still pull it off on my full doors. All of this is probably sweating the small stuff to you, but I can tell you really are meticulous deep down judging by how nice your jeep came out, (even if the kids are the ones enjoying it). Well thanks a lot for the extra insight. If I was ready for paint I'd be ordering the Monstaliner right now. But since I'm about 2 months out now I have some time to figure out what color to paint the tub inside. The gray probably looks just fine if not really sharp. We'll see. Thanks again, it's nice to get exactly what you're looking for when you ask for it, even if it leads to more questions. By the way, nice job solving the terrible head unit location with your dash design. I swear, tuning the radio in these things is more dangerous than texting while driving.
I'll help you out with the black as I've still got to monstaline my hood still. To anyone not too sure about monstalining, go for it. It's great.

Prep:

Finished up close up:

Hard to see black on black but looks really good in person.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 08:53 AM   #60
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, it does. Hmm, guess there's not much difference between fenders and a whole tub. Just had to see it in my color I suppose! Ya that'd be cool sharing the black. Probably would have to use your garage to be out of the sun? Unless this stuff can be resealed for later use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JeepForum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.