front drive shaft or manual locking hubs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > front drive shaft or manual locking hubs?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
mudb0gger

front drive shaft or manual locking hubs?

I have a 97 jeep tj and the front drive shaft is slightly bent which results in ALOT of vibration going down the road. It is currently out of the jeep now. My question is, If I put manual locking hubs on the front, will it stop the drive shaft from turning all the time and would only turn when hubs are locked? or Would it be better and or cheaper to just get another drive shaft built? Its been like this since I've owned it which has been 5 1/2 years and I want to be able to put myself in a position to need 4 wheel drive. I am now ready to do something about it and needed the experts opinions and advice. Let me hear it. Thank in advance.

mudb0gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
TimoYJ7
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well your front drive shaft shouldn't turn at all unless you are in 4wd. If its your daily driver and not your trail rig I would go to a junk yard and find a good driveshaft out of a wrecked tj. I went to manual locking hubs on my Yj and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
-jb-
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoYJ7 View Post
Well your front drive shaft shouldn't turn at all unless you are in 4wd. If its your daily driver and not your trail rig I would go to a junk yard and find a good driveshaft out of a wrecked tj. I went to manual locking hubs on my Yj and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
Wrong.

TJ has what we call a "live" front axle. Because it doesn't have manual hubs the shaft will turn all the time even in 2wd. This is due to the live hubs in the TJ.

OP if you have the coin to do so I would do a manual locking hub. Which would then keep the shaft from turning while driving in 2wd and manual hubs gives a lot of benefits over a life axle.

Replacing the front driveshaft is the cheaper option though.
Yellow Jeep Member #42
01 TJ, HP 30/Locked, dana44/locked, 4.88's, 4in ProComp Springs, JKS 1.25 bl, JKS Trackbar, Currie Arms, RS9000XL shocks, 35x12.50 MTR Kevlars, 15x8 Soft 8's, Skyjacker Discos, Brown Dog MML, SYE, Smittybilt Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Currie Steering, Warn x8000i
03 Jeep TJ, 1 Ton Project. 79 Dana 60/dana 70, 5.9L 360, hiline tube fenders
-jb- is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.