Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 12-21-2012, 01:28 PM   #121
Abner_Ravenwood
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OKay! I am hooked!!

This is the route i am going with the YJ.

Abner

Abner Ravenwood------#202 WJC Member
Abner_Ravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #122
98TJ162
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
Do you have any photo's of the mounting on the garvin rack? How much does the tent affect the mileage?
I used two 60" pipes from home depot and bolted them to the rack with pipe clamps and bolts you can sort of see it in the pictures, but I can take some others if you need. Garvin does make an attachment system but its like 95 dollars or so and then you have to buy the bars from yakima or wherever. Ill try and find a picture of the Garvin attachments I know they sell them on quadratec somewhere. My gauge cluster is currently not working i.e. no fuel gauge, speedometer, odometer, battery, engine temp, etc so I'm not sure how it effected my mileage at the moment
photo-4.jpg   photo-5.jpg  
[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial"]IIIIIII[/FONT]
98TJ162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #123
98TJ162
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heres the garvin attachment

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12041_1XXX_PG.htm
[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial"]IIIIIII[/FONT]
98TJ162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #124
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justlas88 View Post
This jeep rocks, i have to get one of those tents for zj..
Kinda regret cutting it up, but at the time i had 16 years in an XJ. Was time for a change..

RTT is in garage awaiting me getting the trailer finished. I didnt like the RTT on the rig, i was stuck having to pack it up if i needed/wanted to leave camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZJ View Post
such a killer XJ. How is the ZJ coming along?

Very slowly.. hope to run it around neighborhood this weekend.

OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #125
NsTySTANG
1997 ZJ 

^^^look forward to seeing how the zj turns out,goodluck
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #126
gmgreen
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theksmith View Post
i'v tried to keep mine a decent daily driver while still prepping it for expedition duty and weekend trails runs, so it might not look like a typical "overland" rig...

features include: on-board hot water shower with on-demand electric pump, engine oven, slide out rear table, CB + HAM + GPS + SPOT + Laptop/dock/touch-screen with TOPO/OBDII/FSM, roof basket with custom load distributed mounting & custom locking mounts for Hi-Lift/Shovel/Axe, spares of all sensors & many other parts, 65lbs of tools, battery welding setup, fridge on quick release mount, dual sealed AGM extended-amp-hour batteries with intelligent charge management, on-board high CFM air (with 5lb tank to run tools), auxiliary red LED map lights for preserving nightvision, lift/skids/lockers/tires and such, beefed up JK Rubicon axles with RCV & Superior alloy shafts for reliability, bug-out-bag with large Adventure Medical supply kit + survival equipment/water/rations

no RTT due to the daily driver status, i use a tent-cot on solo trips:

Very nice set up. What is the brand name on the cot tent? I would love to have one of those.
gmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #127
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgreen View Post
Very nice set up. What is the brand name on the cot tent? I would love to have one of those.
http://store.kamprite.com/catalog/

do not get the version with the flat roof, it will pool water and leak. if you want to see one in person before buying, bass pro shops sells "the oversize" version that i have.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #128
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

Still a work in progress. Shes being built with camping, not rock crawling in mind.

Still needs better on-road handling, better reliability, creature comforts, and electronics, but she is almost there.
image-689871457.jpg  
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #129
KalebJohnson
1995 XJ Cherokee 

This my buddies and mine (dark green one) I'm headed this way on the build and he's going more daily/occasional wheeling.
389593_505542066153190_1699094231_n.jpg  
KalebJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #130
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Gonna be headed that way as soon as i get the kinks worked out and get her running more reliably...

I've already got a jeep that's the right shape, haha

That thing is beautiful!
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #131
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:

it's just a secure place to warm food with the engine heat. it sits directly above the headers and on a normal trail ride it gets food steaming hot. on freeway rides in the winter it doesn't work so well - apparently gets to much wind zapping away the heat.

on a day trip, i just grab a burrito or two from a local mexican hole-in-the-wall and throw it there and at lunch time the cheese is all melty and it's piping hot.

on expeditions trips, my girlfriend will often pre-cook me some meals and package them in those little foil loaf pans (they fit perfect). i'll throw one on after lunch time and have a hot supper ready when we get to camp.

BBQ pulled pork, chili, cheesy potatoes and any kind of caserole works great.

it doesn't get hot enough to "cook" meat safely IMO, just to warm stuff. if i had room to set it right on the headers i'm sure i could cook anything.

i know a lot of people that use those $30 12v "lunch box" type cookers. they work great, and get hotter. i like the engine oven because it's simple, can't fail, and uses heat that you are already producing anyway.
That's awesome... I'm gonna have to try and copy that

We often re-heat food by simply resting it on the heat extraction vents in the hood but that means having the engine running for a little bit when you stop. Would definitely be nicer to do it your way and be able to kill the engine noise as soon as we stop for lunch

Friend 's reaction when I told her the sausage rolls were already on the grill

Unread 01-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #132
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Here's mine... more of an overland style build. Have a lot of confidence in the vehicle. Key is chosing reliable components and keeping on top of the maintenance. Also we tend to do more long-day trips than camping trips at the moment so the emphasis has been more on keeping going in the dark, rather than setting up camp. I am planning a roof top tent though.

Has more than enough lighting to keep going well after the sun goes down. Winch is mounted in the redesigned bumper last week but will get the wiring done this week.

In the back we've got a custom rack I've designed to hold 4 jerry cans and then misc. cargo / cool boxes etc.. Depending on the trip, we may have all 4 fuel, or 3 fuel and 1 water. Also have the option of pulling out the inner 2 cans and having a wider cargo area. On the tailgate I've got 4x 2kg fire extinguishers for easy access.

sPod Wiring and Relay kit to keep the accessory wiring and fuses clean, serviceable and safe.

Other highlights include:

AEV Highline Fender kit - big tires and low COG

ARB Safari Snorkel

Tummy tucker and SYE to get the clearance and reduce the vibrations. On that note, also got a new front shaft and balancing beads in the tires.

On Board Air York compressor system from Off Road Only.

SwayLoc from Off Road Only - ability to change body roll on the fly. Great for a better ride on the rough stuff and then stiffening it up for the road sections.

TPMS to monitor tire pressures.

7" Garmin GPS

ARB Rear Bumper with telescopic flag holder (fishing pole!) and rear view camera

Road Armor front bumper and steering box skid, significantly redesigned to add more useful lighting, and sit the winch lower and further back to increase air flow to the radiator, and aesthetically match the Highline Fenders better.

Auburn ECTED Rear Diff and ARB front diff.

Future plans - would like to have a roof top tent and on board shower system etc... and continue improving storage and accessibility of things.

The great thing is - having the confidence in the vehicle to drive solo across stretches of desert that you really shouldn't drive solo (make sure ppl know where you are, and where you're supposed to be. Quite often we have point-to-point challenges though so the self-supporting overland capability is great for that.)

Unread 01-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #133
try2holdmywheel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep View Post
Typically I'm not a big fan of a lot of lights but, you've got more than your fair share while still keeping it tasteful. Nice Jeep.

Baller
Unread 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #134
try2holdmywheel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Nothing better than being surrounded by beautiful scenery. Very unique photo. It's appreciation is not lost on me.

Baller
Unread 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #135
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
mikeg576 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.