Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #151
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

To me, expedition jeep simply means a Jeep you take on expeditions. Why complicate it?

I backpack a lot, which influences how I pack. Most people pack an absurd amount of crap. If I can fit 2 weeks worth of comfortable living in my backpack, I can certainly fit it into my Jeep. Althought they make it LOOK more expo, I have no need for a rooftop tent or snorkel.

bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #152
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaslug View Post
To me, expedition jeep simply means a Jeep you take on expeditions. Why complicate it?

I backpack a lot, which influences how I pack. Most people pack an absurd amount of crap. If I can fit 2 weeks worth of comfortable living in my backpack, I can certainly fit it into my Jeep. Althought they make it LOOK more expo, I have no need for a rooftop tent or snorkel.
Once again, I was not trying to start anything, but I was trying to see it I fit in. I have been backpacking since I was in my early teens and have gone on many amazing trips. My LJ is a pretty all around jeep with a focus on certains terrains but I am trying to make it an all around expo type jeep. This is my last trip. About 500 mile round trip (sadly it was cut short). Under all that junk/tools/spare parts is a pretty good modular packing system.

and from the next camp site over on the tow rig. RTT from TJM.

'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #153
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I know the expo definition very well and have been living this life style since I bought my first jeep. I can carry up to a weeks worth of supplies for myself, but would not call it expo. My question was what constitutes an expedition jeep in this thread? Meaning, most of these jeeps are just jeeps. When I think expedition, I think a carry all mule that has the capabilities to let you live for days if not weeks with modern amenities to make your outdoor living better than just primitive camping. Since lo2ay's LJ was brought up, that is similar to what I would call expo.

Once again, what you describe is a trail riding jeep. Not purpose built, but a good all around jeep without crazy tires and such. How are you all living out of these jeeps?
Your first post you stated that you were not trying to flame anyone. I think maybe how you worded your statements it could be taken a bit negative. Then your second post where you quoted people you was a bit condescending. Correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe the question you are asking is,

Along with the photos of these Jeeps posted what else, if anything have YOU done to YOUR Jeep that makes it better for Overland type travel?

Different areas if the country or world require curtain needs in gear, supplies, and modification. It would be a better idea to maybe list modifications to the Jeep, cargo area, and what you carry and amount of time you've found yourself living from the Jeep. That's what I like to know about everyone's Jeep. Also how you sleep? Are you in, under, on top, next to it, or with in eye sight?
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #154
theksmith
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
What constitutes an expedition jeep for this thread? A lot of these would just be jeeps to me. I am not trying to flame anyone but.... Just curious.
"expo rig" to me conjures images of rigs with any of the following attributes:

- is built with a balance of both off-road capability and on-road drive-ability in mind. (i.e. a rig built for king-of-the-hammers likely has sacrificed at least some on road comfort for it's off-road ability and would not be fit for constant expedition use)

- is built with dependability in mind. you shouldn't set out to be a day or more from civilization with a complete POS beater.

- is built with load carrying capability in mind. whether that means a roof rack, tire carrier, or interior dedicated storage depends on the individuals requirements. if you're riding solo, you can throw firewood in the floorboard (though you need a good way to lash it down), but if you're with multiple people for days on end, you may need a roof rack.

- has modifications that make extended camping more convenient. maybe it's a full-on roof top tent, or an on-board shower, or even something as simple as a fold-down table.

- has modifications to better enable self-reliance. perhaps dual batteries to self-jump in case of a dead main, other redundant systems or even just well organized dedicated storage for spare parts and tools.

those are just some examples, not every expo rig has to look the same. i go on multi-day expeditions several times a year and i don't have a roof-top-tent. a RTT wouldn't work well for the daily driver duty my rig sees, or even for the hub-n-spoke type trips. but i wheel with some older folks that wouldn't be able to walk after a couple days of sleeping on the ground, so a RTT is key to them. some guys even pull modified military trailers with RTTs on them. a trailer better distributes your load, but can be a PITA on certain trails, so again it's not for me but some love it.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #155
JAG811
1978 CJ7 

Don't let this thread die
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #156
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed. I'll try and find some of our pictures from Big Bend!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #157
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

here is a pic of the xj before my last trip with central overland I love this style and as far as the snorkel its for piece of mind I never purposely try to sink the xj but S$^t happens and I like the 10-15 seconds to try to get out of what stupidity got me into. im keeping the interior as plain as possible I sleep in the jeep with a small mattress and strap my gear down on top of the mattress when traveling my camp set up is un loading the xj.
most of these have been on the forum already

some are from last year

sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #158
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Pics are from EJS. My build goal is a cross between a rock crawler and an expo rig, I usually don't camp more than 3 or 4 nights at a time. Those trips are usually to wheeling spots. Plan on running the Kokopelli Trail and White Rim this spring/fall.
image-3469796496.jpg   image-3173481590.jpg   image-3006567326.jpg   image-3490201365.jpg  
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #159
sluff28
2001 XJ Cherokee 

nice pics wish it was closer
sluff28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #160
bolesr
2002 TJ Wrangler 

work in progress, but getting there.
img_4652.jpg  
bolesr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #161
try2holdmywheel

Quote:
This.
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #162
JAG811
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluff28 View Post
im keeping the interior as plain as possible I sleep in the jeep with a small mattress and strap my gear down on top of the mattress when traveling my camp set up is un loading the xj.

Very cool !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Pics are from EJS. My build goal is a cross between a rock crawler and an expo rig, I usually don't camp more than 3 or 4 nights at a time. Those trips are usually to wheeling spots. Plan on running the Kokopelli Trail and White Rim this spring/fall.
Nice ... Looks good so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolesr View Post
work in progress, but getting there.
eah

Yeah I hear you. I think every Jeep is a "work in progress .. only the degree of work varies"

I'm currently saving for a deep cycle battery hoping to be ready for a three day run west in 3 weeks.
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #163
milresq
2002 WJ 

Nice

Nice Jeeps all. Love the WJ's as I've got one myself an 02 WJ Overland. Which I'm mending her broken parts { power steering pump, window reg x 2, alternator, heater core and A/C evap.}

Any suggestions to save time and money are much appreciated.
2002 WJOE Stocker
milresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #164
steroidxjohnson
2004 LJ Wrangler 

bump!
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM   #165
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think of "overland" as a build style like the rock crawler look popular now or the pre-runner (southwest) style or the "mud hawg" style. I am saying style but it is a functional difference that lends to the different look or style. The current amalgam/generic sport style with big flares, huge fat, wide tires and mega lift was not always nor is it now universally the look/function some want.

To me, as I have seen the word used, "overland" is a functional style with smaller flares, taller, skinner tires tucked in, moderate clearance to the ground, overhead racks for equipment for extended overnight duration off road, sufficient lighting, usually heavy "bull" type front bumpers etc. An expedition is overland travel to a destination(s) for the purpose of exploring and reaching those destinations as opposed to "wheeling" which in and of itself is a sport/hobby not necessarily intended to reach a specific point but just to test ones's vehicle and driving skills on multiple surfaces or challenges. The resulting style of the vehicles might be significantly different as a result.

J
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.