Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Expedition / Overland styled Jeeps

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #136
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:23 PM   #137
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #138
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

That's the direction our JK is headed in!

Stock suspension & tires, but monstalined interior, wildboar fastback rack, PIAA lighting, and *cough*smittybilt*cough* winch.

Snorkel up next!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:08 AM   #139
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by try2holdmywheel View Post
Typically I'm not a big fan of a lot of lights but, you've got more than your fair share while still keeping it tasteful. Nice Jeep.

Baller
Thanks I do strive to keep it functional and aesthetically pleasing. Form and Function combined.

In a way what I'm always keeping in mind is how would the factory have done it if they set out to do a Jeep this extreme. Sorta how AEV and companies like Icon4x4 do their thing. Over-designed and functional. The important thing is the balance though. For example that front bumper on a stock Jeep would look ridiculous, but combined with the ARB rear bumper, 35" wheels, jerry cans and light bar up top, you begin to strike a balance that makes it look like it was meant to be.
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #140
aggiejon
1979 CJ7 

Thought about building an underhood oven by building a stainless box and putting a heater core under the box. Try and use the hot engine water to heat the box. Not sure it will work but I figure Its worth a try.
aggiejon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #141
Platypus
Built In The Rain

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post

Stock suspension & tires, but monstalined interior, wildboar fastback rack, PIAA lighting, and *cough*smittybilt*cough* winch.

Snorkel up next!
im sorry i didn't catch that last part, what did you say?

haha but that is a good looking jeep. the only thing im not wild about on islanders is the way the grills not painted uniformly
Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #142
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Snorkel up next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #143
mnewxcv
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would like to go this way as well with my cherokee. so far its already pretty good, but some way of mounting a gas can, water, supplies etc, and a way to sleep. thinking of removing the rear seat and trying to fit a twin matress back there, then have a roof cargo bag. still needs some other things like shovel, power inverter, off road lights, jack, and full size spare.

mnewxcv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #144
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus View Post

im sorry i didn't catch that last part, what did you say?

haha but that is a good looking jeep. the only thing im not wild about on islanders is the way the grills not painted uniformly
Ha ha, yeah.

The grill isn't stock, actually. I did that with the leftover Monstaliner when we did the interior. I love it, but personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos14 View Post
Ha ha ha, Carlos, that's hilarious.

I gotta say, though. We've put that winch through it's paces with farm-work and recovering other vehicles and it's done extremely well. With proper care and maintenance, it's really surprised me.

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #145
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Ha ha ha, Carlos, that's hilarious.

I gotta say, though. We've put that winch through it's paces with farm-work and recovering other vehicles and it's done extremely well. With proper care and maintenance, it's really surprised me.
Haha yeah, honestly I have not had any problems with anything smittybilt, but I put the sticker I got from my rear flares on my girlfriends Cherokee and this ensued! I use it from time to time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #146
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

What constitutes an expedition jeep for this thread? A lot of these would just be jeeps to me. I am not trying to flame anyone but.... Just curious.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #147
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
What constitutes an expedition jeep for this thread? A lot of these would just be jeeps to me. I am not trying to flame anyone but.... Just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
Car Camping: Traveling in a vehicle to an established campground. *If there is a picnic table there, it is probably car camping.

Backcountry Adventure: A one-day, or multi-day off-highway trip in an adventure motorcycle or 4wd.

Overland(ing): Vehicle-supported, self-reliant adventure travel, typically exploring remote locations and interacting with other cultures.

Vehicle-Dependent Expedition: An organized, vehicle-dependent journey with a defined purpose, often geographic or scientific in nature.

Expedition Vehicle: A 4wd or adventure motorcycle prepared for self-reliant travel over long distances, through unpredictable weather and over variable terrain.

ExPo: An abbreviation of the website Expedition Portal.

Difficulty of the terrain can be defined by the*1-5 scale

Source:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/what...efinition.html

Also from Lo2ay's Spider LJ Build
I think most people are posting saying that they want to get more into expedition style and are posting current photos.
redrelyt12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #148
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
This type of build is a overall terrain type of build. Many people build with no real direction of goal other then big monster or a type of look. Expedition vehicles are a function over form and sort of Boy Scout type vehicle. It's not a rock crawler of mud buggy. It's there to take the driver over the land that's in front of them. They may encounter water sand rocks and mud. These jeeps or vehicles are built to get them through the terrain but not to the extreme of any of those terrains. In some instances you may try to avoid the harder areas. That could cause you to take a longer route and the vehicle is built and stocked with the stuff you need to get from point A to point B. it's prepared for different terrains and for the time it takes to traverse that terrain.
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #149
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrelyt12 View Post
I think most people are posting saying that they want to get more into expedition style and are posting current photos.
I know the expo definition very well and have been living this life style since I bought my first jeep. I can carry up to a weeks worth of supplies for myself, but would not call it expo. My question was what constitutes an expedition jeep in this thread? Meaning, most of these jeeps are just jeeps. When I think expedition, I think a carry all mule that has the capabilities to let you live for days if not weeks with modern amenities to make your outdoor living better than just primitive camping. Since lo2ay's LJ was brought up, that is similar to what I would call expo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg576 View Post
This type of build is a overall terrain type of build. Many people build with no real direction of goal other then big monster or a type of look. Expedition vehicles are a function over form and sort of Boy Scout type vehicle. It's not a rock crawler of mud buggy. It's there to take the driver over the land that's in front of them. They may encounter water sand rocks and mud. These jeeps or vehicles are built to get them through the terrain but not to the extreme of any of those terrains. In some instances you may try to avoid the harder areas. That could cause you to take a longer route and the vehicle is built and stocked with the stuff you need to get from point A to point B. it's prepared for different terrains and for the time it takes to traverse that terrain.
Once again, what you describe is a trail riding jeep. Not purpose built, but a good all around jeep without crazy tires and such. How are you all living out of these jeeps?
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #150
mikeg576
1945 CJ2A 

I just posted some photos of American Expedition Vehicles, that's all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.