DIY Highlines - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > DIY Highlines

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

DIY Highlines

I am looking for pictures (profile or strait on) of some DIY relocated stock fenders to Highline fenders. Thanks

Unread 05-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

I have yet to see any DIY that actually look decent. Most people look at AEV highline kits and cant tell what has been done to the jeep because it looks like it came that way from the factory. Where as DIY highlines look "wrong". Like the jeep was in a collision and pieced back together. All the angles will be off, gaps, not to mention all the hammering you will need to do to make the grill fit.

FYI - AEV now sells just the fenders, individually - $650 per side. Trim your existing hood to fit. You could sell the stock fenders and bring the cost down a bit. Im pretty much poor and had to nickle and dime my way to the Highline kit - but still think the AEV fenders are worth every penny.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I guess so. I have seen a few pictures here and there on this forum and others where they look ok in the pictures but never seen them in real life. So I am on the fence of whether to try it or not. Then have to buy new fenders, and then not be able to sell my old ones.

I did not know that AEV sold just the fenders. But then I still have to get them painted and I wheel pretty irrationally and have been known to hit many things.
Unread 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Ever look into Rokmens Fenders? Its DIY, just need to weld it up. Plus they would look killer with your hood. Signifigantly cheaper than AEV and since its Rokmen, can probably take a hell of a beating.

Unread 05-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Speed911
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I wheel pretty irrationally and have been known to hit many things.
Unread 05-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pepl View Post
Ever look into Rokmens Fenders? Its DIY, just need to weld it up. Plus they would look killer with your hood. Signifigantly cheaper than AEV and since its Rokmen, can probably take a hell of a beating.

I like how you think, because the rokmen idea is my back up, when relocating the fenders fails. The whole reason for the trying to relocate the fenders higher was to keep a "stock" look and color in the front of the jeep while letting the rear morph into full wraparound tub armor. I have time to think about it. Or you could just give me your front fenders. Ill even buy you the rokmen ones for an even trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed911 View Post
It is funny and true.
Unread 05-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
Or you could just give me your front fenders. Ill even buy you the rokmen ones for an even trade.
Ill have to pass Though I was very tempted to go the Rokmen route - I just cant weld worth a ****.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Heres write-ups with some descent pics:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=538391

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/kw...5-lift-621996/

http://www.higherground4x4.com/2/diy...-mod-for-cheap

Youtube vid:
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
YIKES

Sorry but that is one cluttered engine compartment. A fire just waiting to happen.
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
dreed
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pepl View Post
YIKES

Sorry but that is one cluttered engine compartment. A fire just waiting to happen.
Ha, Not my Jeep. I didn't get that far into the vid the first time I watched it. That is a mess of a engine compartment.
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2012, 06:36 PM   #11
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreed View Post
Ha, Not my Jeep. I didn't get that far into the vid the first time I watched it. That is a mess of a engine compartment.
Yeah thats pretty bad. Im not knocking anyone for their efforts. I understand that $2000 for the AEV kit is alot. But to undo what the guy in the youtube vid would cost way more. Bending AC lines, cutting the relay box, chopping the hood, bending and drilling the fenders and grill - thats a lot of work, and its not quality work. Open your hood and people will be horrified
Unread 05-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Ya that does not seem worth it.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I like how the jeep looks in the video, but I would probably **** to many things up like he did. Plus, I do not think I could live with knowing that my fender was rigged up like his. This thread has CHANGED my mine. Thanks guys.
Unread 05-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #14
rroadkilll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

When. Get on my laptop and off this tablet thingy illnpost some pics of mine....

Don't be discouraged yet!!!!
I can't wait to tear it up in the mall parking lot with you some day Jay... we could park on each other's tires all flexed out taking up 4 parking spots, walk in the mall with our jeep keys dangling for everyone to see, hit up some abercrombie and fitch, then go back outside and hang out by the jeeps for a few hours... maybe get risky and drive over some curbs.. :highfive:
rroadkilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

For reference - Here are some shots of my AEV highlined engine compartment with a 1" MML. Everything fits right in the stock location where it belongs. Only area that lost much clearance is the 2nd battery tray - the brake booster is in the way now. You could still fit a small ARB compressor there though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.