Detailed Homemade Front Bumper Pics! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Detailed Homemade Front Bumper Pics!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Detailed Homemade Front Bumper Pics!

I am going to be building a new front bumper. What I need to see is how people have done it before. I am unsure whether it should be a 2x4 or 2x5. What I am looking for picture wise is how each look and how you mounted it to the frame? I want to keep it simple in design that is why I am not looking at some of the more advanced designs.
Any and all pics would be great!

rikkards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Heres mine. Not sure how much equipment you have. mine was laser cut than formed. but as far as bolting on all i did was folded some tabs down on the bumper around the side of the frame near the grill and used some factory bolt holes to put the bolts through. i couldnt really tighten them so i just put them through and welded the head of the bolt to the tabs on the bumper. I can get some pics for you tomorrow if you want. Also if you have access to a laser i could send you the cut file.

1murderedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

sorry i didnt realize you had a tj. we probably have some different dementions.
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #4
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure what the differences between YJ and TJs bumper wise are but that is nicely built.and thanks for the input!
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
tangotag
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I used 2X4.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/a...umper-1225880/

One from the work in progress.
tangotag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wicked thanks for the pic and the thread
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
vtx531
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Do 2x5 because 2x4 looks too skinny. Pics in the link in my signature. Also if you cut out the back of the 2x5 it will fit over top of the frame. Drill some holes and no mounting tabs required.

MY JEEP
vtx531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #8
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about 2x5 instead. However I like my winch plate and wanted to keep it but also add a winch guard to it and I think it would probably conflict between the two. So I was going to have it meet up flush with the top of the frame with 1/4" plate running across.
The issue with the 2x5 is how to do the bottom tabs. The frame is about 4" tall so assuming the 2x5 is flush on the top how to attach the bottom? Just weld to the middle of the tube? Any thing special needs to be done?

I have been building it in qcad which is a free 2D program with 2x4 as the spec but I might look at also doing 2x5. I will take a screen shot and post up for comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtx531 View Post
Do 2x5 because 2x4 looks too skinny. Pics in the link in my signature. Also if you cut out the back of the 2x5 it will fit over top of the frame. Drill some holes and no mounting tabs required.
Unread 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would just weld the bumper to the frame rails. No bolts being seen looks so much better. I bolted it on the side of the frame with tabs but would have rather welded it on the inside of the rails.
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
rikkards
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

That a bit too permanent for a bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1murderedjeep View Post
I would just weld the bumper to the frame rails. No bolts being seen looks so much better. I bolted it on the side of the frame with tabs but would have rather welded it on the inside of the rails.
Unread 10-12-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
1murderedjeep
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikkards
That a bit too permanent for a bumper.
True but if it's stubby it won't get bent or really dented due to the frame rails support. Plus you can grind them off. Just saying I like the smooth look. I also used 11 gauge and one piece formed. Good luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.