custom made front bumpers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > custom made front bumpers

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-11-2005, 05:24 PM   #1
green_jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

custom made front bumpers

hey thinking of making a new front bumper i would like to see what you guys made for yor Jeeps!! thanks

green_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #2
RockyMTN05

Well......if you call homemade 'custom'......then this is what I got.

To me, it looks better than that huge stock bumper running the entire length of the vehicle. Took about 15 minutes, and looks better to me.

Unread 10-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
beyondink

What did you use to cut the bumper?
Unread 10-13-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondink
What did you use to cut the bumper?

Sawzall, plasma cutter, hacksaw...they all work. The stock bumper sheetmetal is weak.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #5
BobboTJ

I just designed and fabbed this bumper the other day. Here is the link

pic

I will try to get more pics cuz i just took this one on my phones crappy camera and emailed it to myself.

It was fairly simple to make. I cleared out a factory and came across some pipe (its a 3" pipe that I used, 1/4" thickness). I welded a piece a angle iron the width of the frame rails and then weld two pieces of steel plate coming off the angle iron for brackets. Just Drill out the holes and bam you gotta brand new bumper. This thing is freaking solid too, definitely heavy duty armor. Threw on some tow hooks as well.
-Black Steelies
-Custom Fabbed Front Bumper
-Herculined Tub
Comin soon-4.10's, 1" BL/MML, Skids
BobboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
TQ_xvi
2002 TJ Wrangler 

home made tube bumper....

take it easy on him, chaps...
Unread 11-08-2005, 11:28 AM   #7
BobboTJ

I guess I dont understand...what is your point?
-Black Steelies
-Herculined Tub
Unread 11-08-2005, 12:29 PM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboTJ
I'll take a stab at answering this. First off, please don't think I'm in anyway dissing your bumper. We all have our own tastes and I'm always glad to see someone make something rather than buy it.

Back in the 80s and 90s the aftermarket tube bumpers were pretty popular (and are still today somewhat). However, in the so called "hard core" circles they developed a reputation of being weak, poorly made, easy to bend up on the trail..etc. I believe by copying the basic concept of the tube bumper some might see your creation as an evolutionary step backwards. TQ recognized the potential negative critiques headed your way and was just tossing out what I'm sure was a good natured warning to those on this forum that might be tempted to critique your bumper in a less than friendly manner.

Bottom line is.. if you like your bumper then that's all that really matters.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #9
BobboTJ

I understand this and I wouldnt ever buy a tube bumper. The reason I built was because I got in a wreck with the stock front bumper and it definitely wasnt strong enough. This is quite a bit stronger than any tube bumper you can buy (I have seen some that looked like they were made of plastic). I was just curious as to what he meant because I dont think this metal could be considered weak by any terms. The only thing I could see breaking on this is either the bolts (probably not grade 8) or the welds. But im pretty good with a welder and the beads are all the way down so I dont really see this happening. All the metal is 1/4" so its thicker than most you can buy (Not just tube bumpers either). Its cool, just didnt see how anyone could consider this weak.
-Black Steelies
-Herculined Tub
Unread 11-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #10
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like the bumper...but I'm one of those cheesy guys that likes tube bumpers...and stainless steel...I know that's kind of a bad word on this forum...but I'm one of the cheeseballs that likes the stainless look!

To each his own!!

samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 02:12 PM   #11
TQ_xvi
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboTJ
I made the comment because I noticed your post count.

I, in no way, questioned the strength or functionality of your bumper. In fact, from the looks of it, it should hold its own quite well.

Having been on the boards for a few months, I know the negative impact that tube bumpers have on the posters here, so I was imploring the would-be naysayers to take it easy on you.

The popcorn/anticipation was for the impending war of words that would take place as a tangent to the intent of the thread.

I hope I didn't offend you by my lighthearted jab at the potential reaction to tube bumpers...

for reference, here's a thread on it that's been gathering dust in the General Discussion aread ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...e+bumpers+homo
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:04 PM   #12
Rockintjak
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a pic of my front bumper

Ain't bad for free parts and labor. Wanted to be a little different so we put the point on instead of the bent look.
'06 Rubicon, 4" Currie lift, Anti-rock, Sniper fab tube fenders, Smittybilt crusher corners, custom rock sliders and front and rear bumpers, Smittybilt XRC8 winch, F&R Riddler diff covers, 33 engineering t-case skid, Rokmen gas tank skid, 2" BL, JKS MML, 35" BFG KM2's, 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RCV CV axle shafts, Currie steering, Viking top, U-pol raptor lined tub, and more to come...
Rockintjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #13
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

to get back on topic of the original request....

my cousin and I built this bumper this past saturday. I think it
came out pretty good and total cost was a few bucks for paint
and ~ 3 hours of time. all the material was scrap layiing around his
house.

Jared
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
BobboTJ

Yes its cool man. I didnt realized there was this huge thread on tube bumpers and weird things people talked about doing with em HEHE. The truth is I agree with pretty much everybody about tube bumpers, but I built mine so I know its capabilites. I would have used square tubing but you gotta go with whats free ya know!

Cool bumpers rock and jared. I like the custom stinger
-Black Steelies
-Herculined Tub
Unread 11-08-2005, 03:44 PM   #15
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockintjak
Here's a pic of my front bumper

Ain't bad for free parts and labor. Wanted to be a little different so we put the point on instead of the bent look.
i like that, its different. i think im gonna do some kind of tube/stinger on mine
somewhere down the road, just not sure what yet.
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.