Currie HD steering (TJ) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Currie HD steering (TJ)

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #31
NITBRubicon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just bashed my currie drag link and tie rod this past weekend right at their connection point at the "inverted y" into a boulder. Nothing happened except for my jeep stopping in its tracks and rock remnants stuck to the steel. No deformation.

Good product and clearly holds up. Definitely recommend it.

NITBRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
wrangler97
Overbuild

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Yes, as I've already stated.....

I purchased it second-hand off spyder6, who sold his rig before putting the tie rod on. I flipped it at the same time. To answer your above question, there are no disadvantages and no change in geometry. The tie rod is still connecting at the same point through the knuckle, just on top. Well worth it.

Right you did say that. Is there some fabrication that needs done on to flip it? or just bolt it the other way? Thanks again
1997 Wrangler 6cyl 5-spd; 4" short arm, 35X12.50's: White Jeep Club Member #95
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats"
wrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 06:27 AM   #33
SquareLJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here's the only pic I have of mine. lol. Other then this little mishap, it's been fantastic. When I first got it, I had an issue with one of the ball joints popping out. Went to Currie and they replaced it free on the spot (I had hit it very hard and I had an older joint. Totally did not expect them to replace it as I had abused it). This picture was taken after I decided to slip off one rock and face plant into another rock.

I recomend it to anyone with a lifted Jeep.
SquareLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #34
EugeneTheTJ
Tar Heel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler97 View Post
Right you did say that. Is there some fabrication that needs done on to flip it? or just bolt it the other way? Thanks again
Quote:
No.....the hole in the knuckle is tapered so that taper has to be removed then reversed. In order to do that, you need to very carefully ream the knuckle out after loctiting an insert into the existing taper. I ended up failing at this twice because my new taper wasn't 'perfect".....it worked OK but the fit wouldn't hold after being bashed by a rock. I just don't have the resources to make a perfect taper. I sent Blaine the first failed knuckle so he could do it his way....he drills the taper completely out to ~7/8" and tig welds a spacer into the hole. I swapped it in and am good to go. You also will have to weld on new lower sway bar links mounts to the inner C or else the tie rod will make contact with the original sway bar link mounts. That was a pretty quick and easy job. PM Blaine if you want to flip the tie rod.
EugeneTheTJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #35
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone got a pic of where the steering stabilizer mounts too and the trackbar. My jeep steering is boogered up and im trying to fix it back to stock locations. But I can still drive 70 mph on the highway.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:58 AM   #36
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's mine with the tie rod flipped. It's bent pretty good, but I just adjust the toe every time I bend it and its been working fine. It's soo much higher with the flip, but with my axle pushed forward, I had to cut off the sway bar mounts and part of the coil bucket because the tie rod was hitting. Very beefy steering setup, has served me well for over two years of hard wheeling.

Unread 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #37
wrangler97
Overbuild

1997 TJ Wrangler 

oh... thanks eugene
1997 Wrangler 6cyl 5-spd; 4" short arm, 35X12.50's: White Jeep Club Member #95
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats"
wrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #38
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mine, I noticed most of you have your steering stabilizer bracket on the back of the bar. Is that how its supposed to be?
img_1948.jpg   img_1949.jpg   img_1941.jpg  
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #39
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #40
Hobojo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Currie w/ savvy tierod
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM   #41
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

This is next on my to do list.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #42
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

bump...

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #43
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No.....the hole in the knuckle is tapered so that taper has to be removed then reversed. In order to do that, you need to very carefully ream the knuckle out after loctiting an insert into the existing taper. I ended up failing at this twice because my new taper wasn't 'perfect".....it worked OK but the fit wouldn't hold after being bashed by a rock. I just don't have the resources to make a perfect taper. I sent Blaine the first failed knuckle so he could do it his way....he drills the taper completely out to ~7/8" and tig welds a spacer into the hole. I swapped it in and am good to go. You also will have to weld on new lower sway bar links mounts to the inner C or else the tie rod will make contact with the original sway bar link mounts. That was a pretty quick and easy job. PM Blaine if you want to flip the tie rod.
Was the ream and taper only when fliping the TR or was that just needed for the Ultimate Steering?

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #44
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareLJ View Post
... This picture was taken after I decided to slip off one rock and face plant into another rock. ...
Wow, you must have hit that real hard, haha! I thought I've smacked mine pretty good, but didn't put more than a scratch in it. That must have been a good hit
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:45 PM   #45
UncleWilson

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWilson View Post
Was the ream and taper only when fliping the TR or was that just needed for the Ultimate Steering?
Or has this been fixed with the TJ Tierod Flip Insert?
http://blackmagicbrakes.com/Jeep_Co-Op.php

www.stu-offroad.com
TJ Alignment Videos
Currie Control Arms Install Tips
Off Road Tips Techniques

o[__Q_]o
(OIIIIIO)
[]==O==[]
UncleWilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.