CJ stock front springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > CJ stock front springs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 09-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

CJ stock front springs

I have a '72 CJ6 that I am doing a light restoration on. I am considering lifting it 1.5 inches. It needs new shackles anyway so that would be the easiest, and 1.5" lift is as much as I want to go with shackles, anything more needs to be spring lift. The problem is I cannot really tell how worn my springs are.

I am in the army and the Jeep is in another state so I am not sure how many leafs I have. It is a 6 cylinder though. Can someone get a pick of the front springs, from the side, so I can compare mine? Without the tire and the axle on a jack would be even better. Thanks.

Unread 09-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

To get an inch and a half lift using shackles, you would have to have shackles three inches longer than you have now, that would make a mess of your steering. Might be better to get the right springs and leave the shackles stock. A spring lift leaves most of the integrity of the steeing in place. You might need a taper shim to get your angle back but thats about it.

Thanks for serving brother!

Here is a pic of my stock width but 2.5" lift springs:

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I can tell by looking at yours that mine are just too flat and worn out. Guess I will have to get some new ones. What brand springs did you go with and how is the ride?
Unread 09-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

The ride is great. The PO put on the springs right before I bought the Jeep from him. I do not remember the name, it was on a paper sticker stuck to the springs until I pressure washed it off.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.