Cheap Paint Jobs! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Cheap Paint Jobs!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I want to see the CHEAP paint jobs.

spray paint
Roller
Brush
Paint ball gun
What ever! :-)

I'll start it off. My cheapo roller job.

ashland82391 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Perfect thread for me:

$80 rattle can special, 3 years old and looking good

Last week - Silver Lake Sand Dunes
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Perfect thread for me:

man that looks great! I've seen you around jf before but I didn't know you were around Michigan. I'd love to see that thing in person.
Unread 07-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
man that looks great! I've seen you around jf before but I didn't know you were around Michigan. I'd love to see that thing in person.
Thanks!

Im not near MI, I took the S.S. Badger ferry across Lake Michigan to the dunes. I plan on going again in Sept though.
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Perfect thread for me:

That's rattle canned!!?? I've been checking your jeep out in your posts. I've always liked the matte black paint jobs. What kind did you use that has held up with no fade? And how in the hell did you manage to not tiger stripe it? That looks awesome.
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
That's rattle canned!!?? I've been checking your jeep out in your posts. I've always liked the matte black paint jobs. What kind did you use that has held up with no fade? And how in the hell did you manage to not tiger stripe it? That looks awesome.
Off the shelf Krylon. Its actually more durable than the factory paint ever was. No fade, though I clean it regularly and keep it garaged and out of the sun as much as I can. I just took my time - lots of light coats. Its not perfect - but from 3ft away it blows peoples minds when I tell them its just spray paint. Sure as hell beats dropping a few grand on a paintjob that will be chipped and pinstriped in no time.

I think the biggest reason it turned out well was because the jeep was black to begin with. I didnt have to struggle with color showing through or having to disassemble anything major (windsheild & hinges) to get the nooks and crannies. Just roughed up the clearcoat till there was no shiny spots anymore, washed it, wiped it down with rubbing alchohol, painted panel by panel, no primer.

3 years ago: Literally minutes after I finished. 100 degree day, 90% humidity, paint was still wet and very tacky, nothing was bolted down all the way - I just wanted to see the highline kit installed outside of the garage

2 days ago: Minus the doors, they're plastic but luckily match the paint color really well.

One day... maybe: I will either paint it myself or have it professionally done in a "Garbage Can Grey" like this AEV Jeep, that or whatever color the Nukizer is.

Unread 07-25-2013, 12:53 AM   #7
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Panel by panel would make it easier, but that hood not looking striped blows my mind. I've sprayed a couple hoods in a booth with a professional setup and STILL worked at it to keep the stripes to a minimum That is quite an impressive job you did there.
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #8
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
That is quite an impressive job you did there.

Thanks

Come on people, post up more DIY paint jobs!
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
en480c4
2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's the rattle can job I did on my '62 CJ-5. The overhaul turned into a frame-off which took far more money than I expected. So in the end, there weren't a lot of options left. I was really pleased with how it turned out. I used a satin rattle can paint for my base coats and rattle can clear coat.

I have no idea how it held up... I finished it in the spring and sold it that fall for my down payment on my place.
Unread 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
en480c4
2012 JK Wrangler 

I almost forgot about my trailer... It needs more attention but it's passable for now. I used the small Mopar rattle can touch up paint, and it didn't cover well so I wouldn't have had enough. So I used a almond rattle can for base coats and used the Mopar paint as a top coat. Unfortunately that top coat was a little streaky and I didn't have enough to add more coats. I've damaged a few spots, so when I do some touch-up, I'll probably give the whole thing another once-over.

Unread 07-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Roll on/spray bomb job. I'm into it about $90.00 but that includes tape, masking paper, rollers, paint trays, mineral spirits, beer, cigs, etc. Paint was only about $40.00 for two quarts and a couple cans of black...

fullscreen-capture-6302013-125155-pm.jpg

img_20130725_124025-1.jpg

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Love the Warhog teeth
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #13
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Roll on/spray bomb job. I'm into it about $90.00 but that includes tape, masking paper, rollers, paint trays, mineral spirits, beer, cigs, etc. Paint was only about $40.00 for two quarts and a couple cans of black...

Cheers
Haha that's the one I was waiting for!
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Love the Warhog teeth
Thanks! They need some touching up but I love 'em. Makes me jeep look so, so, so pissed lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post

Haha that's the one I was waiting for!
Haha well now that I blew my wad, lets see some more! Where's Carlos and his creamscicle? Hehe

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #15
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Bump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.