Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Anyone Running 36's on a HP Dana 30??? PICS

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  creepycrawly 
#1 ·
I'm currently in the process of swapping in a HP 30 from an XJ. I've been needing to regear from 3.73's for awhile. I just put 36x13.50 Iroks on my TJ. A friend gave me a XJ 30, so I went ahead and bought 4.88 gears for the Jeep. Then bought a YJ 30 axle from a friend that had a Aussie locker in it but more importantly High Steer with drilled passenger knuckle with a bolt on arm. Kinda of like the Steering on a WJ. It's all DOM tubing an heim joints. Resembles the Tera-Flex kit. At this moment I am brain dead on what setup is on it. Going to call my buddy just to verify which steering setup it is.

I found out quickly (and I knew in the back of my head it was going to happen) that 36's and stock steering don't like each other. After straighting out a U-shape tie rod, I found new steering. The stock steering lasted pretty well on 35's for about a year with only a few smaller bends.

Who is running 36's on a HP 30, pics? Hows it treated you? I'm more of a slow crawler on the trails and light on the skinny pedal till I need it. This is just a temp setup till I finish building the 1 ton axles I have, purchase everything else I need to get these axles underneath my Jeep, get larger tires and a DD to drive....right now I drive my Jeep everyday.

Pic of the Jeep on 36's. Getting ready to swap the HP 30 in here in the next few weeks

See less See more
#4 ·
I was running 35's, now running 36's SX's, last ride at the park in March I tried testing to see if I needed Chromo's yet up front, and my answer was "not yet" followed a built TJ all around the park without issues, and even got a little stupid with it on Crawl Daddy. I do need to change my steering but I have not bent it yet. 4.88's and locked make a huge deal, even with my 2.5 i just let it idle over most of the trails.

#5 ·
That's what I figured. Just want it to last for awhile till I can upgrade. I'll carry spare d30 shafts also just incase.....I don't question the 44 in the back. But I don't slam the gas either.

#6 ·
I had 36x14.5 TSL's on my 93 YJ 4.0L/5 spd with a HP 30. I beat the living **** out of it. I broke drive shafts (front and rear) but never did my front axle give me a problem. Everyone used to tell me i'll brake it just looking at it wrong with anything bigger than 35's on it. Well, i dont know if mine was a freak or what, but not one problem.

#8 ·
mine has been on 37's with 4.56 for 7 years and no problems. i have chromos tho. but ive heard 37's are still big for chromos but like i said, havent had a problem yet.

#9 ·
I'm more on the same mindset as the Pirate folks are. To me 36's aren't that big, reason why I am building 1 tons as I type. But for the mid, I'm running your normal setup and switched to 36's. I'll be running 4.88's and a locked front. Not sure what to do with the rear, may just leave it alone as this is a DD right now. I don't want to put a lunchbox locker in the rear because of it's driving characteristics on the street but I don't want to spend much more on the axles for a selectable locker. If I could find a factory dana 44 lsd, I'd throw that in there just to have something better then open........I'd rather put the money in building the 1 ton axles and getting my Jeep ready for those.

#10 ·
I have been running 35x13.50 BFG krawlers on my hp30 for a whole now with no issues and it is locked as well. I am on stock shafts and intend to stay that way just because they are way cheaper and easier to replace than ring and pinion. The 35 krawlers are huge for 35's and are heavy and sticky! I am just not a throttle jockey!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.