Any rusty TJs out there? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Any rusty TJs out there?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Any rusty TJs out there?

I am interested to see where TJs tend to rust. Whos got the worst?

TJSunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My leaf springs are pretty rusty.

And places that I've hit things... like rocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Camio
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've noticed body rust on the edges of the fenders (where the flares attach), where rocks chip the hood and grille, and on the upper rear part of solid half doors (seems to be a drainage issue with the uppers). I've also had a lot of rust on various parts of the frame, but that's a lot more fixable with some Chassis Saver or POR-15.
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
Flaggdog
1979 CJ7 

MY FRAME!!!! The lowest points of the frame. Also the same place the factory put clean out holes. If the previous owner did not use these holes, and they pack full of good ol' northern road salt, your frame will rust from the inside out, like mine did Also, on the frame, where the transfer skid mounts to the frame rails was pretty nasty. The tops of the front fenders on mine were shot, both had holes, about the size of a baseball. And on the bottom rear corners of the tub were starting to go. I think my 01 was worse than usual, but mechanically, it was great. I drove it for awhile, contemplated a frame swap ( I found one for next to nothing) then traded it for a boring 4 door family car that I needed in the first place. Next jeep, JK RUBICON
jeep-sale-005.jpg  
Flaggdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Man thats quite the beast youve got there flatlander! Nice job. After you spray water in the clean out holes, how does it drain? I have plenty of road junk that is just waiting for a good power washing. Ive heard that some guys drill holes in the bottom of the low points of the frame. Im thinking about going for it. Any thoughts? I also have two rust spots on the back of the body. Ill put some pics up later. It looks like some welds rusted out. I dont want to see my baby disintigrate
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
97tjeff
2008 JK Wrangler 

Front fenders rust quick.

if you've ever had your windshield down it's going to rust.

if you've ever taken your doors off and scratched the hinges, they will rust too.

I'm fighting a crapload of rust right now because the po didn't carefully do anything
97tjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
TJSunny1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha the hinges are terrible! What do you mean when you say the windshield will rust. what part?
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #8
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'll get pics later, but my frame is getting kind of crusty. Good thing I got a welder...
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
ibjeepin95
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not TOO bad, but I will do some work to fix it, even if it requires a frame swap.... (which I doubt it)

It's sad it comes from a Jeep this pretty lol....
ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSunny1 View Post
Man thats quite the beast youve got there flatlander! Nice job. After you spray water in the clean out holes, how does it drain? I have plenty of road junk that is just waiting for a good power washing. Ive heard that some guys drill holes in the bottom of the low points of the frame. Im thinking about going for it. Any thoughts? I also have two rust spots on the back of the body. Ill put some pics up later. It looks like some welds rusted out. I dont want to see my baby disintigrate
I just hose out the frame until the water running out comes out clear.

Everything that I've painted seems to rust... need better paint... or mo' skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
signal34

rust started under the side windows on my hard doors and behind the taillights. The frame and suspension get blasted with salt water all winter and my fenders are getting bad
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had to do some patch welding on my fram last summer(right infront of the rear tires) and it lloks like ill have to do some more this summer.Its wiered thats the only part of my jeep that has rust, but i live in ohio so i live in salt hell all winter

Believe.
Jeepzcb09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
kdb97tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its michigan every thing is marinated in road salt in the winter. Thats my next project lol.
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
signal34

In buffalo after the snow is gone there is still 1" of white stuff... road salt
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #15
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

This thread is the reason why I take care of rust as soon as I see it, no matter how small.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.