All Jeeps w/ MCE Flat fenders - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > All Jeeps w/ MCE Flat fenders

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-04-2011, 05:18 AM   #61
98GP
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I like the extended flare version. Is there plans to mimic the front to the rear?

do yall worry about dirt and grime staying between the remainer of the steel fender and under the new MCE fender?

98GP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:36 AM   #62
mirra9112
1999 TJ Wrangler 

TJ before any lift on 33x12.5 tires:

TJ with 4" suspension lift on 33x12.5 tires:

mirra9112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #63
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good Mirra, thanks for postin'! Must be pretty fun to drive the Jeep around with the same setup both stock and lifted, and really be able to tell the differences.

98GP - thanks for your interest and the compliment. We are looking to do a TPO rear flare, that will also incorporate the rubber grommet "pop-off" mounts down low, asap, most likely this winter - next spring. As far as dirt and grit getting stuck between the fender and the sheet metal, with our experience on the Generation I fenders is that after a day in the mud, there can be some here and there, the plastic push fasteners don't provide a great deal of clamping force between the the plastic and metal. The dirt can be washed out with a hose, or a bead of silicone can be ran there to prevent anything from getting sandwiched.

On the Generation II fenders, we have SS screws bolting the MCE fender to the OE fender, so very little if any mud can work it's way between. But a bead of silicone here can also seal it off completely.

Thanks,

Mike

97 TJ, MCE fenders and flares, heavily used and reliable on 35's.
WAC_Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 03:58 AM   #64
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

@98GP

Actually, you really don' get alot of crap under there. I woud think you woud have to be buried to get that type of effect, but thats no different that if you had "traditional" tube fenders
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #65
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Moab last week. I love these fenders.
image-1052059355.jpg   image-514057672.jpg   image-4137043108.jpg  
Unread 10-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #66
gophish822
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mike or anybody, I'm lost all flash after my led install. 2 wire led for markers and 2 to 3 wire conversion for the front 3/4" leds. I used a writeup for the conversion and did everything correct but still no flash. Leds in front will light but no flash. Rear leds will light and illuminate when brake is pressed but no blinkers or emergencies. I have no ticks from gauge and no indicators signal arrows from gauge when I turn on emergencies or blinkers. I installed new flasher relay that fixed my quick flash when I only had rear leds. Checked fuses, nothing is shot. I'm stumped and taking a road trip in two weeks from ND to TX and don't feel like using manual signals for a 1400k trip.

GRAVITY SUCKS! -Wife
gophish822 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #67
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Actually I am having this same problem.....
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #68
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had this same problem when I put in my led tail lights way back
I ended up disconnecting the marker lights and they started flashing again
I never did dig in and find out why

Stalking your thread from the comforts of my tractor .... seriously!!!!
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #69
gophish822
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I dont want to stray off of OP but I know its a popular mod for MCEs and tubes so this felt like a great place to ask. FYI check fuses, and check again. I didn't notice that my MFSW fuse had shot. A fresh 20A MINI FUSE and blinky blinky. Almost as exciting as curing the DW

GRAVITY SUCKS! -Wife
Unread 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #70
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome pics gspup, thanks for posting! What trail(s) are that in Moab? The first one looks like the entrance to Kane Creek?

As far as the wiring of the 3/4" LEDs, sorry about the issue. Unfortunately to date, nobody makes a small light of this size that is dual function of a marker *and* turn signal. However, a small wiring modification can be done to make these lights dual function. I will explain how to do it but to help understand, I'll explain the issue as to why they cannot work as a dual function:

At first it seems possible, there are 2 lights leading to the side marker light, as well as 2 wires on the LED. However, the way the OEM wires work, they reverse polarity depending on if the parking lights are turned on or not. You will notice this by observing the way the front mounted parking/turn signals work compared to the side markers. With the parking lights off, the 2 lights will flash opposite of each other. In other words, when one is on, the other is off during the blinking. However, with the parking lights on, they will blink in unison.

The problem this presents with the LEDs are that an LED is polarity sensative. Meaning, the LED will only work with electricity flowing in 1 direction. The OEM light uses an incandescent bulb, which will light up no matter which direction electricity is flowing through it.

So to make the LEDs work, they must recieve electricity in 1 direction only no matter if the parking lights are on or off. This can be done with a wiring modification:

Find out which wire supplies power for the parking light function, and which one supplies the turn signal function. The parking light wire needs a 560 Ohm resistor. (This will make the parking light feature power the LED to ~1/2 - ~2/3 intensity, which is still very bright and is easily seen in the daylight) Then, both of the wires get a rectifier diode installed. The rectifier diodes allow lectricity to flow in only 1 direction. After the rectifier diodes, the parking and blinker wires get joined together to make a single "+" wire going to the LED. The rectifier diodes prevent one function from backfeeding the other function. Then, a ground wire needs to be ran from the "-" side of the LED to a ground. I've seen the best luck with this wire tapping into the Jeep's common ground wire for the front facing turn signal.

With the above modification, the 3/4" diameter LED will act as both a turn signal and parking light. The cost for all the parts is $5 or less, unfortunately it is just a matter of being comfortable with doing it and having access to a soldering iron. It is not a hard task though and I have not heard of any person messing anything up if done wrong, the lights just simply wont work right. A couple years ago when experimenting around with this, we installed wires in about every way possible before finding this out, and there was no damage to the wiring system. So if it's your first time with wiring, you'll be fine.

Also, here is a good write up I found on this forum with part numbers: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2-...ite-up-933239/ This gentleman made a circuit board but it can also be done in-line with the wires.

Until I can find a supplier to make these little wiring harnesses, unfortunately the DIY way is the only one to get the 3/4" LEDs to work as a dual function.

gophish - glad you got 'em working! I've been fooled by a fuse with only a hairline break before, so good advice about checking again.

thanks,

Mike

Unread 10-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #71
gophish822
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Great explanation Mike. Just to reiterate for the herd having same problems, check your fuses! I'm almost positive I had my lights "working" long before I started tinkering with different connections. Then to find out (5 hrs later and a wrench into my garage door) I blew my MFSW. Mike may I suggest adding the 2 to 3 wire led conversion to your site in the "what's the buzz?" section with permission from zachjf. I didn't use his PCB setup but did use valgalbraith's "led turn signal installation". LEDs being so popular with your fenders I personally think it would be a great addition to your growing company.

GRAVITY SUCKS! -Wife
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:53 PM   #72
gspup
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAC_Jeeper View Post
Awesome pics gspup, thanks for posting! What trail(s) are that in Moab? The first one looks like the entrance to Kane Creek?

As far as the wiring of the 3/4" LEDs, sorry about the issue. Unfortunately to date, nobody makes a small light of this size that is dual function of a marker *and* turn signal. However, a small wiring modification can be done to make these lights dual function. I will explain how to do it but to help understand, I'll explain the issue as to why they cannot work as a dual function:

At first it seems possible, there are 2 lights leading to the side marker light, as well as 2 wires on the LED. However, the way the OEM wires work, they reverse polarity depending on if the parking lights are turned on or not. You will notice this by observing the way the front mounted parking/turn signals work compared to the side markers. With the parking lights off, the 2 lights will flash opposite of each other. In other words, when one is on, the other is off during the blinking. However, with the parking lights on, they will blink in unison.

The problem this presents with the LEDs are that an LED is polarity sensative. Meaning, the LED will only work with electricity flowing in 1 direction. The OEM light uses an incandescent bulb, which will light up no matter which direction electricity is flowing through it.

So to make the LEDs work, they must recieve electricity in 1 direction only no matter if the parking lights are on or off. This can be done with a wiring modification:

Find out which wire supplies power for the parking light function, and which one supplies the turn signal function. The parking light wire needs a 560 Ohm resistor. (This will make the parking light feature power the LED to ~1/2 - ~2/3 intensity, which is still very bright and is easily seen in the daylight) Then, both of the wires get a rectifier diode installed. The rectifier diodes allow lectricity to flow in only 1 direction. After the rectifier diodes, the parking and blinker wires get joined together to make a single "+" wire going to the LED. The rectifier diodes prevent one function from backfeeding the other function. Then, a ground wire needs to be ran from the "-" side of the LED to a ground. I've seen the best luck with this wire tapping into the Jeep's common ground wire for the front facing turn signal.

With the above modification, the 3/4" diameter LED will act as both a turn signal and parking light. The cost for all the parts is $5 or less, unfortunately it is just a matter of being comfortable with doing it and having access to a soldering iron. It is not a hard task though and I have not heard of any person messing anything up if done wrong, the lights just simply wont work right. A couple years ago when experimenting around with this, we installed wires in about every way possible before finding this out, and there was no damage to the wiring system. So if it's your first time with wiring, you'll be fine.

Also, here is a good write up I found on this forum with part numbers: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/2-...ite-up-933239/ This gentleman made a circuit board but it can also be done in-line with the wires.

Until I can find a supplier to make these little wiring harnesses, unfortunately the DIY way is the only one to get the 3/4" LEDs to work as a dual function.

gophish - glad you got 'em working! I've been fooled by a fuse with only a hairline break before, so good advice about checking again.

thanks,

Mike
Bingo it is Kane Creek. No pictures of the more difficult climb at the end, my passenger was busy spotting me.
Unread 10-18-2011, 11:31 PM   #73
WAC_Jeeper

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophish822 View Post
Mike may I suggest adding the 2 to 3 wire led conversion to your site in the "what's the buzz?" section with permission from zachjf. I didn't use his PCB setup but did use valgalbraith's "led turn signal installation". LEDs being so popular with your fenders I personally think it would be a great addition to your growing company.
That's a great idea, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspup View Post
Bingo it is Kane Creek. No pictures of the more difficult climb at the end, my passenger was busy spotting me.
Cool, fun trail!

Unread 10-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #74
47cj2a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdown87 View Post
I had a nightmare of a time trying to wire mine. I tried using something called magic blinkers for motor cycles to convert from regular to LED and those didn't work.

Everytime we would hook the side marker to the turn and parking light wires they would work as markers but freak the heck out and both flash like hazards when turning left or right and the odo would flash as well. We tried for about 10 hours to get them working correctly. I even had the #26 flasher relay installed the whole time (didn't know that when I replaced it 6 years ago I had gotten that one).

We finally wired them so the front lights are turn signals and the sides are markers.

Mike, who's Red Jeep is that in your pictures? I would like to know how they wired their 3/4 LEDs to get them to work right.
hey Dave, that is my red jeep. I have done some 3/4" LED's for Mike and Jason (MCE) for their customers and wired up both of their jeeps. I dont think anybody has had any issues so far.

One thing to keep in mind is that the fast blink will not go away unless you change or modify your flasher relay.
Sorry you are having so many issues, if i was in the states i would make you a harness and have Mike or Jason ship it your way. Another thing to keep in mind is that (IIRC) the diodes have to be facing a certain direction.

Essentialy what you have is a two wire LED that becomes a 3 wire LED. Ground is ground and one wire goes to side marker and the other to turn signal. the side marker gets the resistor and they both get diodes. You split the power wire (black) on the LED into two wires.

oh and these things are pretty tough.
Unread 10-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #75
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I like this, what is average install time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.