Acceptable tub rust (footwell driver side)... Question / Pic request... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > Acceptable tub rust (footwell driver side)... Question / Pic request...

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
Panhandler80
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Acceptable tub rust (footwell driver side)... Question / Pic request...

Assuming my firewall is in good shape (which I suspect it will be) my tub is in great shape with the exception of the footwell / driver side.

I tend to THINK that it can be sanded out, but I'm not sure. It's solid rust as in coverage... about 1.5x the size of a dinner plate, but it doesn't appear particularly deep. Plan is to sand it out with a lot of elbow gerase, hit with the stop-rust stuff from Monstaliner and then line the whole tub.

HOwever, I found the pre-fab replacement panel for like $100 somehwere. What's another $100 at this point? Hahaha. Guy putting my axles said he could toss that part in there pretty quickly.

Anyway, I'm just curious what you guys think maximum leve of rust (mabye 1.5 ft^2) woudl be. I'll of course also take his advice into consideration.

Anyone have a pic of max acceptable leve?

Panhandler80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
3X4X4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Clean the rust out to good metal. Look for any perforations. If there is still good, clean metal and no holes, refinish the area with a proper primer and paint and do not allow water to stand there anymore.

J
2006 TJ Rubicon, Custom 4 inch lift with Currie Arms, TF springs, RS9000 shocks, TF High Steer Kit, TF ST Dual rate anti-rock, TF front track bar, Yellow Box speedo correction, Black Rock 15X10 Streetlock wheels with BFG AT 33X15X12.5 tires, Line-X tub, Bed Rug carpet, Tom Woods shaft, Spidershade, Savvy corner and rocker armor, Exogate.
3X4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.