3 kids in the back of a Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Picture Requests > 3 kids in the back of a Wrangler?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #1
charliepapa

3 kids in the back of a Wrangler?

Is there currently a mod or an aftermarket seat to get them all back there?

charliepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
wenkebach

I added a seatbelt from www.juliano's.com

Attaches to each side of the tub and holds the middle child in perfectly. I don't remember the length, but it was the longest one.
wenkebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hehehe...

So it's like one huge-*** seatbelt that stretches from one side of the jeep to the other holding everyone in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
wenkebach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T.
Hehehe...

So it's like one huge-*** seatbelt that stretches from one side of the jeep to the other holding everyone in?
Not everyone - just the kid in the middle. But yes, it stretches from side to side. Perfect fit actually.

http://julianos.com/lap_belts.html - the 74" belt.
wenkebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
rissacher
2005 TJ Wrangler 

why not a normal length belt

I'm looking into the same... need to fit 3 kids. Either all 3 in the back, or figure out how to disable just the passenger side Airbag which I don't think is an option (05 TJ).

Anyway, why not just a normal length belt and attach it where the other two attach to the floor (the receiving end of the OEM belts)?
Full doors / Soft Top
rissacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
GSU_DAVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissacher View Post
I'm looking into the same... need to fit 3 kids. Either all 3 in the back, or figure out how to disable just the passenger side Airbag which I don't think is an option (05 TJ).

Anyway, why not just a normal length belt and attach it where the other two attach to the floor (the receiving end of the OEM belts)?
Don't all TJ have the option to disable the passenger airbag? down by the 4wd stick?
GSU_DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
tedder19
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSU_DAVE View Post
Don't all TJ have the option to disable the passenger airbag? down by the 4wd stick?
No.

10 char .
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
rissacher
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No, apparently not. I'm surprised there's not the standard "turn the key to disable airbags" deal. From reading the posts its standard on some and "an option" on others... not sure if that means I can go back and get a dealer to install or what.

It doesn't look like I can just pull fuses either. There are two fuses for airbag, but it doesn't look like there's one for each side. Not really interested in disabling driver side airbag as well.
Full doors / Soft Top
Unread 09-28-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
budice21386
2006 TJ Wrangler 

here is what a guy did on in my local jeep club

Hey folks,
I just wanted to show off my newest addition and little project to the "family" wheeler.

I've got 3 little boys 7, 5 and 20 mos. and have been thinking about how to get the 3 of them AND my wife on a trail ride with me. Naturally, I'm driving, my wife's passenger 2 but I couldn't get all 3 boys to fit comfortably and safely in the back on the factory seat. I bought the TJ Unlimited mainly cause I could get it for half of a JK 4 door and thought it would be more fun/easier to work on. Anyhow, initially I thought about putting 3 racing seats back there, 2 in the far back near the tailgate and 1 for the littlest one sort of up front in the middle (behind/between the 2 front seats but in front of/between the two rear seats). That began to bother me cause all the room would then be taken up with seats and fabbing up harness anchors would be a nightmare. So I looked around the web for "kiddy sized racing seats", you know, something that could double as a carseat but still be useable as they grew up. I called PRP Seats in Cali and talked with Griff, the owner. We discussed a few scenarios and came to the conclusion of a replacement rear bench seat that had 3 seating places as well as all the slots for the full on 5 point harnesses. After much deliberation I pulled the trigger and ordered it. I ordered the wrong color but that's a pretty simple fix, just a new seat cover (my bad). Anyway, I got the seat and harnesses from him which left me with the task of fitting it in the Jeep. I wanted the boys to have a good vantage point front, side and rear, I wanted them to have alot of room in front of the seat for feet and misc stuff and I wanted to be able to have room to later build a full length tool box to mount under the seat. Here's what I ended up doing. Check it out.

What's really cool about it is, even with the new laws that just passed on Sept 1, I can carry all three boys safely, when my wife needs to go without them and as they grow, I can remove the center harness, move the two inner waist harnesses to the middle slot and have room for two bigger people. My wife and I both fit back there pretty comfortably. Yes, it's snug but with the raised and moved backward seat, we have alot of room both in the head, shoulder and leg area and the 5 point harnesses are fully functional. Now all I have to do is take it all out and paint it... not looking forward to that at all.
I've looked around for quite a while and haven't ever seen this type of a setup from the standpoint of carrying kids safely WITHOUT a carseat cluttering up the back. But I'm proud of the way it turned out.
Please tell me what you think.
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
dendrophobe
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Couldn't you just pull the fuse for the passenger side bag?

2005 TJ Sport, Light Khaki Metallic
RE 3.5" coils, OME shocks, Currie control arms, JKS track bars, JKS 1.25 BL, JKS 1 BMML, 35x12.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs, American Racing ATX Chamber (Teflon), JB Conversions SS SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Savvy Gas Tank Skid, Warn 9.5ti, Viking synthetic winchline w/safety thimble, Metalcloak bumper, Metalcloak steering box skid, Savvy rear bumper, HP30 w/Aussie Locker, Barnett cover, XRF ball joints, Savvy tie rod flip, mini-skids, housing end JJ's, , Currie Steering, OME steering stabiliser, Metalcloak Tube Fenders/rear flares/rocker guards, ORO SwayLOC, Banks Stinger Exhaust, Cobra 75 WX ST with Wilson Silver Load, S-POD, Alpine/MOPAR RB1 Navigation Unit w/MOPAR iPod integration, Superlift Truspeed speedo correction, Lightforce 140 Lance driving lights, OTRATTW switch panel, Tinted UPOL Raptor Liner, Savvy Black Magic brakes, Centric rotors, Superior Evo rear shafts

In the garage: Viking Offroad 350 series Hawse fairlead, ARB compressor, Savvy corner guards, Novak 231 cable shifter, EBC green stuff/Centric rotors (rear), Savvy tub rails, Savvy taillights
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #11
rissacher
2005 TJ Wrangler 

No, there are two fuses and they are not labelled. Rumor is that's it not one for each side anyway.

If it was one per side and they are just not labelled, I'd just figure it out with some trial-and-error: pull one fuse and then drive into a tree.
Full doors / Soft Top
Unread 08-02-2010, 04:19 AM   #12
RIPNHL2005
2010 JK Wrangler 

The harnesses look awesome on the custom job!!!

I guess I can do a seat belt extender to get a 3rd child in between 2 booster seats on either side, but would this work in the back seat of a 2010 Wrangler Sahara? Sales guy says it would work

4-POINT HARNESS SEAT BELTS - JCWhitney

We have a 3 & 5 year old in booster seats on both sides and a tall 6 year old in the middle which this harness would be perfect for, for more protection than just a lap belt.

Thanks

Patrick
RIPNHL2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #13
Burns95
2004 WJ 

This is why I enjoy jeepforum so much. A thread from 5 years ago gives me some great ideas! Has anyone else installed a new rear seat like the one in budice's post above?
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
LOCKDUP

Wake up the thread

Here is my PRP seat and full 5pt setup for the kids. Works perfect! Kids are 5,3,and 2. And back seat fits 2 adults perfect too. 5 seats in an older Wrangler is the way to go!
img_1506.jpg

img_1600.jpg

img_2255.jpg

LOCKDUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Burns95
2004 WJ 

Very nice. Do you have any pics of the seat without the kids seated? And is your tub width back there the same as a regular TJ tub?
Burns95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.