XB70 crash site - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > XB70 crash site

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

XB70 crash site

We recently camped a Friday night in Calico Ghost town and then went on a search for the XB-70 and F104N crash sites. We've been to Calico several times, so we skipped the town itself.
Our caravan included two Cherokees, a Suburban and an Envoy. We took Ghost town road to Yermo cut-off to Fort Irwin road and then off into the Mojave desert. All roads were no problem for our vehicles, our GPS units helped tremendously! We had the GPS coordinates for all the sites we planned to see.

Our first stop was the XB-70 crash site. The XB-70 was always one of my favorite X planes. It was a supersonic bomber with 6 huge GE engines. GE had asked for a photo mission of five planes all with GE engines. The huge XB70 Valkyrie created wake turbulence which pulled the tiny F104 into it, tearing off the XB70 vertical stabilizers and dooming both planes to their end.

XB-70 met it's fate here, taking it's co-pilot with it.

Here we are at the F104 site

Here is the F104 memorial with a contrail in the background

My navigator, demanding I open the hatch and make a PB&J sandwich

The Mojave was really awesome. Thirty-nine degrees at night, 72 in the day.

This is the Coolgardie mine. It has collapsed in many places and is surrounded by barbed wire

Harpers dry lake in the distance. It doesn't look dry.

We had planned to also see Inscription Canyon and Opal Mountain but one of our crew had a hot date. The Cherokees headed home and the Chevy's trekked on. If I get some of their pics I'll post them.

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounded like a fun trip, and that is an interesting story about the planes. Thanks for sharing.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Been there before. Its a really cool area. My grandma lives on a homesteaded ranch near there. I hope to take a road trip with the heep out there this summer
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
SpaceWrangler
Gnarly Adventurer

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Where the Girls Dance Different With Familiar Grace

My Epic Five-Week Cross-Country Jeep Safari
SpaceWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.