White Mountains, Alaska June 9 - 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > White Mountains, Alaska June 9 - 11

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-12-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

White Mountains, Alaska June 9 - 11

I went camping!! Took the fam and the Jeep out with a friend who knows the area real well(so we wouldn't get lost) and made a weekend of it. So here we are, in the White Mountains rec area about 75 miles north of Fairbanks. I figured it would be just Drive out there and set up camp, do some hiking, and come home. Well, turns out that the entire area is an old dredge mine site, lots of back trails that are mostly overgrown but still passable. We got there at a pretty good time of year, with Ice still covering parts of the stream and the overbanks, solid enough to walk and drive on but broken up enough so I can drive around them if needed.

I'm planning a run up there specifically for exploring trails one of these days, because there are parts of the older trails that I could have gone for but didn't due to being the only fullsize rig out there and without a winch or lockers. There's lots more to be explored, I found some really nasty mud by accident....got my Jeep sunk in no time flat, and my friend's brand new Toyota Tundra stuck trying to yank me out...fortunately someone else came along in a big F350 Dually and plucked her out then she found more solid ground to recover me. Otherwise I'd have been waiting there, gun in hand, with my daughter and two dogs for my wife and friend to drive back to the nearest phone to call for help on a dinky little 250 Yamaha Beartracker ATV. Not fun.

Aside from that, I had a hell of a time. Stream crossings abounded, the water wasn't high enough to worry me, but I did pick a pretty bad line on one and almost got stuck on rocks....fortunately I made it out. Found some makeshift shacks that were recently used as well as modular housing ATCO's for whatever miners were working the area at the time....long been emptied(about3 year old mayo on the shelf inside...but also some newer cans and such which make me think there are squatters from time to time). All in all I had a great time, would love to go back and do it again with some company...just about convinced my wife of my need for a winch with this latest double-stuck...so there may be a new purchase sometime within the next few months.

Anyway, on to the pictures. I have a crapload of them, mostly scenery but still alot of the Jeep and my friend on her 4-wheeler. 104 pics total, and there are more to come from her camera including video of a really daring ice/stream crossing successfully attempted by yours truly.

http://www.a11eur0.com/gallery/v/off...avId=xe3e3b9f3

TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 02:33 AM   #2
Stangman516

Cool pics

I need to get up to Alaska sometime. beautiful country up there...
l---L--?lllllll?-

()_) ()_)----)_)
White Jeep club member #40
Stangman516 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Definitely. If you come up, drop me a line, I'll show you the local trails.
Unread 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome pics... Now, how do I get the Rubi up there
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

nice pics man. That is one of my goals to get up to Alaska not even with the jeep i love the place.
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:21 AM   #6
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87warrior
Awesome pics... Now, how do I get the Rubi up there
Head up to Seattle, take a ferry to Anchorage(stopping in Juneau, and taking tons of pictures along the way), then drive it 600 miles north to Fairbanks. When you get here, find an internet cafe, hop on here, and send me a PM so I can show you the area.
Unread 06-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #7
stathunter

Thanks for sharing. Love the pics..........I am addicted to AK.....FANTASTIC views.....breathtaking in every respect. I miss inhaling the fresh AK air!
Enjoy it and do not take it for granted!

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
mxer

I'm headed to Kenai in the beginning of July, I'm pretty stoked!
Unread 06-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
4SEVEN3
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJVigilante
Head up to Seattle, take a ferry to Anchorage(stopping in Juneau, and taking tons of pictures along the way), then drive it 600 miles north to Fairbanks. When you get here, find an internet cafe, hop on here, and send me a PM so I can show you the area.

man, ya make it sound so easy!
4SEVEN3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2006, 01:14 AM   #10
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

i would kill for such scenic locations....

im a real sucker for scenic photography involving jeepery
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.