Wheeling in Centralia - The "Real Silent Hill" - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Wheeling in Centralia - The "Real Silent Hill"

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 01-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Wheeling in Centralia - The "Real Silent Hill"

This is about my 15th or so trip to Centralia. As usual, for those who don't know, Centralia is located in east central Pennsylvania, not far from the former off-road park Paragon. There is a coal mine fire that has been burning under Centralia since the late 60's. The coal veins under Centralia and the neighboring towns are made up of Anthracite Coal. This type of coal is the cleanest & longest burning coal in the world. It has been estimated that the coal under Centralia can burn for another 250-500+ years, and possibly wipe neighboring towns off the map. The exact thing that has happened to Centralia.

This was more about wheeling & exploring the woods than Centralia itself. These are all shots with my cell phone. I'll upload some shots off my D2x (DSLR) later.

Here are some videos (not from this trip - but several trips over the years - I can take much better ones on the next trip):

The group (My ZJ: No lift, 30" AT's, open front/rear; Buddies ZJ: AT's, 2" lift; Buddies MJ: 31" MT's, lift, LSD in rear Ford 8.8, 97-01 XJ front grill, bumper & fogs, etc.):

Trails:

Branch removal:

Poser flexing:

Very steep, slippery trail with some big rocks - does not look bad at all in these photos:

And back in Centralia:

-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-01 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS6 - Toy
-03 VW Golf TDI (Diesel) - Commuter
-Former Jeeps: XJ, YJ, XJ, YJ, TJ, ZJ, ZJ
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
-FDNY 9/11/01 - All gave some. Some gave all.
PAFirefighter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

All in all it was a great time. The MJ had a rear passenger side shock rip off the axle side. That was the only damage aside from the usual brush/tree memories, errr.. scratches.
-The statements in this message do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Quadratec, Inc.

-98 ZJ Limited 5.9L - 4.5" lift, 32" Mickey Thompson MTZ's, Tomken rocker guards, D44 rear, 3.73's, LSD, 4xDoctor D30 guard, custom projector HID headlights, custom intake, LED lightbar, underdrive pulley, trans vent tube - Wheeler/Bad Weather Rig
-98 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am WS7 - 5.7L LS1, 6 speed, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster cat back, Pioneer system - Summer Cruiser
-Rick Rotondo Photography - Nikon D2x, lots of glass, lighting, tri & monopods, and other gear
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I can't see any pics. I always wanted to go there and look around always interested me
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Hmm, can you see the photos now?

Unread 01-16-2012, 04:38 AM   #5
attackcammel
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I see em looks like a fun trip
Ordinary cars lie to you. They tell you that everything is controlled, warm, safe, smooth ---- we know this is a general falsehood. There is extreme beauty in the world and the best way to find it is to be out in it --- all the way. In a Jeep. Cause you can't get there in a Camry.
attackcammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Always been interested in this. Got any pics of the town? Are there still buildings left and stuff? How did the fires get started? Why dont they blow the town up and start mining?
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan864 View Post
Always been interested in this. Got any pics of the town? Are there still buildings left and stuff? How did the fires get started? Why dont they blow the town up and start mining?
Check this link for all my Wheeling and Exploration albums in Centralia:
http://pafirefighter11.smugmug.com/S...ralia-PA-Trips

Currently there are approx 5-7 buildings left. Auto Sales/Mechanic building, a couple houses, a church, and a municipal complex.

The first started when they lit the town dump on fire back in the 60's. The fire spread to an open coal vein in the dump and became what we see today. The fire does move around as well.

Due to the residents still living in town they can't do anything with the town. The reason residents are staying around is many, but it has been stated that they are assuming the state will dig up the town. It has been claimed that there are millions of dollars of minerals under the town.

Unread 01-22-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome. I cant wait to see it myself.
Unread 01-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Md_06Unltd
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I was up there wheeling around a bit on Saturday. We went into the main town and made a left up the hill at the house on Main St up towards a grave yard.

We checked out some of the smoking spots, then continued up the hill some more till we saw a trail with fresh tracks in the snow. We explored a little to the east but I wasnt sure how much of it we could go on.

Are all the trails up near there pretty much open? We plan on returning near the end of February.
66 M416
Md_06Unltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
chachums
2004 KJ Liberty 

Anyone interested in planning a trip here in the future? I'm about idk 2 ish hours away. I went up there last time in my jeep before lift and tires. I'd like to go with a group this time. Pm me and maybe we can plan something out
chachums is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
98XJNEPA

Yes I definitely wanna check this out. We have our own underground mine fire where I wheel but its not as dramatic as its mostly been contained... I wanna wheel in the ghosttown
98XJNEPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

We may be going back again soon. I have to work out all the kinks in the latest ZJ acquisition before I can wheel it. The problem is, with the amount of interest we have, there would be a good 25-35 rigs, which would be impossible to deal with.

Unread 09-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #13
98XJNEPA

I probably won't be going until after the winter... I have to get a winch and I wanted to upgrade to long arms first. The trails we ride here are punishing enough... I wanna make sure I'm ready for anything..
Unread 09-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
PAFirefighter11
Quadratec Live Chat Rep

1998 ZJ 

The good thing about Centralia is that it's not bad wheeling. The trails are all pretty easy. My last stock ZJ had no issues.

Unread 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
98XJNEPA

Oh ok. The trails around laurel run mine fire are pretty nasty in parts. lots of old logging roads and mule trails. As well as tons of water runoff paths and limestone outcroppings. some of it is pretty challenging even with a high lift...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.