Webster Pass/Red Cone Colorado 8/20/06 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Webster Pass/Red Cone Colorado 8/20/06

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-22-2006, 05:37 PM   #1
BlueJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Webster Pass/Red Cone Colorado 8/20/06

Been wanting to take this trip for a while so I finally did. Anyone living near this area has probably heard of these two places, Red Cone more so. Basically it is a VERY VERY steep and loose trail that is around 12,000 feet up. So, there is no tree coverage at all. That means lots of room to roll down a mountain or two if not safe. We went up Webster backwards which meant we ended at the back of Red Cone by the sign that says do not go up this way. Well.............after seeinga few others do it I decided I should too. Scary as hell but the TJ never flinched.

Here are a few pics of Webster right at the ending of Red Cone:

Here are some people coming down, the camera doesn't show how steep it was. I was leaning over pretty far to not roll down the hill:

Top of Red Cone:

Unread 08-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
dolphy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

dude that scenary is sick. I grew up in CO Spgs and miss the mountains out there. We have the sierras out here but is not the same as the 14ers.
Unread 08-23-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow!! I love that stuff. Live in Buena Vista so I know what kind of stuff you run. Not sure where Red Cone is? Have heard of it but I haven't been there. Unfortunately I broke mine on Chinaman's Gultch Loop 2 weeks ago. Blew the spider gears in my Track Lock diff. But at least I'm upgrading.

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice photos. Looked like fun!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #5
BlueJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It was a wonderful time, it really was. Probably up there with top trips I have ever done!
Unread 08-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
Gritz

Nice pics, glad you got up there. It's also a pretty good Fall run when the leaves are changing down in the valley(s). Yellow and red aspens with Red and brown rock. MMMM MMMM Good!

gritz
dual tops
Colorado Jeep Club Member #102

"It is believed dinosaurs are extinct due to a giant meteor. That's true if you want to call Chuck Norris a giant meteor."
Gritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
GSPJeeper

yeah, awesome pics. I live in CO and love the mountains up here. You should check out argentine pass, santa fe peak and kingston peak trails too. I do have to disagree with dolphy though. I am from CA and I personally find the sierras to be more beautiful. Just my $0.02
GSPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
GSPJeeper

whoops, I should mention though that I havent been to the San Juans (telluride, Ouray area) yet. That area is supposed to be unreal.
GSPJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.