TRIP REPORT + Pics: Beckler Rd (near Skykomish, WA) 1-26-2013 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > TRIP REPORT + Pics: Beckler Rd (near Skykomish, WA) 1-26-2013

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #1
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TRIP REPORT + Pics: Beckler Rd (near Skykomish, WA) 1-26-2013

Jeep Snow Run
Beckler Rd, Skykomish

January 26th, 2013

This past Saturday my son and I went on a snow run with a group of other wheelers out along Hwy 2 just north of the town of Skykomish, WA. While we kept to the snow-covered Forest Service roads for the most part it still proved to be a fun day. There were about 8 rigs on the trip with us including two Tjs, three JKs, a CJ-5, a Cherokee, and a Hummer H1.

As soon as we pulled off Hwy 2 we hit about a foot of snow. It took a bit of time to get a couple of the rigs off their trailers, particular when one of the tow vehicles got stuck and needed some help to get it parked properly. But once that was done we were off.

The now was pretty dense, with the rain having firmed things up some. We headed up Beckler Rd (Forest Service Rd 65) with the goal of reaching Jack's Pass at the north end of the mountain valley. There was still some rain in the lower elevations but as we made the gradual climb the rain turned to a steady snow fall throughout the day.

Most of the rigs didn't have much problem with the snow, with the exception of the Hummer. As far as I could tell it was a combination of it's weight (7500 lb.+) and it's track width. Where as the Jeeps could easily follow in existing wheel tracks the Hummer was so wide it was constantly cutting new a new tire track the whole way, which is tough in deep snow.

Eventually the H1 reached it's limit and so we parked it on the side of the trail, about 600 ft from an intersection where we all parked for a lunch stop. Some of us busted out the portable grills to cook up some hot food. I light a camp fire for a bit of warmth. And the kids made a bobsled run down one of the tiretracks. During lunch a couple of the guys were playing around in the snow with their rigs and after lunch the rest of us spent a few hours doing the same.

At one point I found a big snow covered gravel pile and proceded to bust new trail all of that, heading up the gently sloping back side and then plunging down some drops back to the main route. I even made a new trail through some 4 ft deep snow so that we had an "exit route" for anyone wanting to drop down the backside of the berm.

I only needed to winch myself out 3 times that day, not bad considering I was one of the few doing most of the trail breaking.

We cut the day short by about a half hour so we could get the Hummer out and turned around. Timing was perfect as we reached the start of the route and the tow rigs right as it got dark. As the group broke up, a few of us ate dinner at the Sultan Bakery, which always has great food.

I guess Nathan liked the day. He's already asking me when we can go on another Snow Run.

Getting ready to head out from the "trail head".

Our group (with the Cherokee out of the photo).

One of the 4-door JKs and the Hummer brining up the tail of the convoy.

Despite the challenges the Hummers are still cool rigs.

During the lunch stop this guy got stuck in a hole and needed to be winched out.

My son pulling his sled up hill.

Setting up the campfire and the grill for some hot cooked grub.
For my son and I: grilled brats and Cheetos!

Me ploughing an "exit route" from behind the big berm.

The Cherokee taking advantage of the exit route I made.

I'm guessing there was about 4-5 ft of snow at this point, the Jeep did a
decent job of staying on top of most of it.

The Cherokee kicking up some snow on the back side of the berm.

Unread 01-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very cool, great pics, as always.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
RaggedOleMan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like it was a great day, Jay. I've only been on a few of the Forest Service roads between Skykomish & Stevens Pass, but never in the snow. I usually end up off Tinkham or Denny Creek like last weekend, with local guys from the south sound. There's a little general store in Index run by an Asian family last I was there. They had some German sausages at the register, "Lanyeagers" I think. Love them things...
RaggedOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

great pics!! Wish I could get out and do some winter wheeling...I guess I will just have to settle for some wheeling...when I can make time
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.