Toys-4-Tots: Badlands Offroad Park 120713 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Trail Reports & Pictures > Toys-4-Tots: Badlands Offroad Park 120713

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 12-08-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Toys-4-Tots: Badlands Offroad Park 120713

Yesterday, 120713, was the Toys-4-Tots run at The Badlands in Attica Indiana.

Friday night, while running around getting everything done, buying toys, getting ice for my cooler and such, I noticed a squeak, squeak, squeak, coming from what appeared to be the front driver side wheel area. I greased the axle joint, in hopes that was all it was, but it triggered a bit of paranoia in me, and I couldn't help but think "maybe I shouldn't go".

I woke up at 4am Saturday morning (I got to bed earlier than expected since NIU stunk up the MAC Championship game) and was on the road by 5am.

As I drove down I-39 I kept thinking "I should just go back home". Granted I wasn't hearing the squeak anymore, but there was still some paranoia in my mind.

I turned off I-39 and onto Hwy 24, at El Paso, and thought "I should just go back home"....but I knew people were counting on me to show up, so I continued on....paranoid and all.

As I went through Watseka IL I saw Kevin (ksilovich in the Walmart parking lot, getting his flag....wait until you see it. I had to stop for a minute....so I waited for Kevin to drive on by and followed him to Kentland Indiana, where we hung a right down Hwy 41, towards Attica.

I followed Kevin to where 52 splits from 41, as he took 52 to go to his bank, which was closed btw.

As I traveled down 41 I saw a Jeep up ahead, as I got closer I saw that it was Will (TheHeilis)

I passed Will, gave him a and he followed me on down to The Badlands.

The first thing I did was get a photo in front of the Badlands sign, with my two toys, one for a girl and one for a boy.

I had to get something wheeling related for the boy.

Kevin met up with Will and I a few minutes later and we got ready to wheel.

We headed to the quarry, with some of the guys from Will's club in tow. I never did get any of their names....there's not a whole lot of conversation when you're wheeling in the cold.

Kevin went right for the walls.

Air time seemed to be his thing.

Kevin on some big rocks.

After playing around in the quarry for a few minutes we hit the trails...with me in the lead. We were the first on this trail, so I had to be the ice breaker.

Along the way I attempted a climb I couldn't do last time out...even though I tried like 5 times. This time it was a cake walk...I aired down a bit more this time, so that probably made all the difference. If you'd like to see a photo of it.....get real, we all know there's no photos of me wheeling.

Finally, a broken puddle

We dropped into the ravine that leads you towards the creek, but last time out there was a tree across the end of the trail blocking the creek trail, which caused us to double back, it was no different this time.

Doubling back gave you two options, the easy way and the hard way. I took the hard way, hit it a bit harder than last time, and probably harder than I really needed to, or should have.

Will gave the hard way a shot.

After a couple of attempts Will took the easy way.

Some of the other guys came up the hard way.

We crossed the ravine and headed towards the creek.

We followed the creek down to the rock outcropping, where the fun usually begins.

Kevin started playing right away.

The rest of us (without trailers) watched.

Kevin went back to lifting tires.

More 3-wheeling.

And again.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Kevin found this ledge to his liking.

He made it look easy.

Before we knew it, it was lunch time. We got lunch tickets when we donated our toys, for we figured we may as well eat.

There was a good crowd for lunch.

They served BBQ pulled pork, hot dogs, beans, chips, cookies and soda.

There was a raffle for a Warn winch or a set of Pro Comp tires (up to 35") and a 50/50 raffle, neither of which I won.

After lunch we returned to our Jeeps. I had heard something a bit odd on the way back from the quarry and when I gave the Jeep a look-see I found that I wasn't paranoid after all. That damn u-joint blew apart, taking the inner and outer shaft ears with it. My wheeling day was done. I was ready to head for home, but Kevin convinced me to hop in Jeffery and ride shot gun.

We headed to the Orange Trail, were there was a bit of a wait at the point of drop in.

Once passed that point things moved right along.

My view from Jeffery.

Some of the group on the trail.

One of the members in our group almost met someone from another group.

The black Jeep (our group) had to be pulled back. The situation was a bit worse than it looks here.

After completing Orange we headed back to the quarry. Kevin took me up some walls and through some big *** rocks...it was a blast, something I'll only be able to do in my Jeep with many more mods....costing many more dollars.

Kevin and I went over to the Red Trail and he climbed some stuff that I wouldn't be able to do.

We then met up with the rest of the group, where one of the guys, in a Grand Cherokee, found a little something on the trail.

This little treat was hiding along the trail that winds around and through the quarry pond, it's a frozen tree stump.

This tire was no match for the frozen tree stump. Big slit.

Not the best place to change a flat, but they got 'er done.

After that little adventure most of the group left, some stayed in the quarry and Kevin and I hit a few other areas of the park.

As Kevin ripped through the dunes we found a Chevy truck buried to it's axles.

Kevin was nice enough to winch them out.

While taking that photo I notice the front tires weren't spinning. I asked if he had it in 4wd.......he said he didn't have 4wd. That's right, wheeling a 2wd Chevy in the dunes....but hey, it has limited slip. We asked if they had a tow strap, so we could pull them to safety, they did not. We left them there.

Kevin headed over to the rock garden at the end of the Green Trail and did it faster than I ever have, then went back through it, faster than I would ever have imagined anyone going through it. If you've been through it you know it's not full of small rocks. I thought I was going to lose a filling.

We climbed a few more things, here and there, raced around on a part of Green neither of us have ever seen, then called it a day.

I went ahead and drove the Rubi home, with the broken axle as it was. I never heard any strange noises, and the only time I could even tell there was an issue is when I made slow, sharp turns, like at intersections. I could feel the steering wheeling moving in my hands from what I believe was the inner and outer axles rubbing against each other when turned.

Despite the breakage I had a great time. Kevin's Jeep is a blast to ride in, but it's too damn noisy and at one point the diesel about killed me.

This was my last trip for quite awhile. I need to get some chromo shafts and start saving for my August 2014 Colorado trip, and pay Kevin for the tire carrier he's making me.

If you'd like to see all the pictures I took go HERE.

If anyone from the group stumbles across this thread go ahead and post up your pics, if you have any.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 12-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
TheHeilis
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Great report, great photos, and great time.
White Jeep Club Member #117
TheHeilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
torange
2012 JK Wrangler 

nice write up, and nice pics!!!! I was the guy in the orange jeep.
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeilis View Post
Great report, great photos, and great time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by torange View Post
nice write up, and nice pics!!!! I was the guy in the orange jeep.
Thanks guys, I had a blast, despite the breakage.

Unread 12-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I keep seeing pics and wish I was able to make it. My e-fan was acting up and I didn't want to chance anything before diagnosing it.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I keep seeing pics and wish I was able to make it. My e-fan was acting up and I didn't want to chance anything before diagnosing it.
You should have come....I doubt you'd have needed the fan, it was plenty cold.

Unread 12-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

Lol. I thought about that.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
houndman72

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
You should have come....I doubt you'd have needed the fan, it was plenty cold.
Was cool to see my Green Machine there. AWESOME PIC! Didn't know that I actually launched up like that.
Rock krawler Stock Mod 2.5, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, Mamba M5 18" rims, 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grappler tires, Body Armor Front bumper w/winch and LOTS of LED lights all over the place for blinding oncomers! LOL
houndman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #10
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nicely put together trail review Jeffro, good fun looking through these pictures.
Unread 12-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by houndman72 View Post
Was cool to see my Green Machine there. AWESOME PIC! Didn't know that I actually launched up like that.
I think I may have done something similar, thus sending my already weak u-joint to it's certain death.

Unread 12-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Nicely put together trail review Jeffro, good fun looking through these pictures.
Thanks. I wish I had taken more, but once I got into Kevin's Jeep it was such a pain in the butt to get in and out of the 5-point harness that jumping out to take a "quick" photo seemed impossible.

Unread 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #13
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think I may have done something similar, thus sending my already weak u-joint to it's certain death.
Behind you I think you lifed one tire. You got on the skinny pedal.

Quote:
Thanks. I wish I had taken more, but once I got into Kevin's Jeep it was such a pain in the butt to get in and out of the 5-point harness that jumping out to take a "quick" photo seemed impossible.
Its not hard you just need some practice.
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, Kevin's Rig sure has changed. I can't believe a 2wd truck was trying to wheel.... and then didn't even have a tow strap. I was going to come to T4T's but decided not to. I am surprised there wasn't any snow compared to the 4" we have here.

"but yeah i guess if i did it all over, i would have hit her."

[QUOTE=99XJBeast;11291646]its running like a raped ape on steroids.[/QUOTE]

1999 XJ. 235 Big O AT's. Clear bumper and side markers. 6.5 inch speakers in rear. Soon to be all LED bulbs (need turn signal flasher and led bulbs and gauge lights).
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
ksilovich
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99goldxj View Post
Wow, Kevin's Rig sure has changed. I can't believe a 2wd truck was trying to wheel.... and then didn't even have a tow strap. I was going to come to T4T's but decided not to. I am surprised there wasn't any snow compared to the 4" we have here.
My rig remains the same. I see it around town all the time. I built a new one.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.